This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
shiphorns's profile picture

New user restrictions

Started by shiphorns, 30 January 2013 - 07:00 PM
shiphorns #1
Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:00 PM
I'm a new user, and my question is very simple: why can't a post a new topic in any of the forums, and why is the reason for this not explained in any sticky, FAQ or anywhere on the site that I can find. I have programs to contribute, yet I can't for the life of me find any information ANYWHERE on this site about how to become a member with posting privileges.
Cranium #2
Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:51 AM
Split to new topic, moved to General. And yes, it is defined clearly in the Forum Guidlines. You just didn't look hard enough.
Dlcruz129 #3
Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:20 AM
Split to new topic, moved to General. And yes, it is defined clearly in the Forum Guidlines. You just didn't look hard enough.

I would make a new sticky labeled "ATTENTION NEW USERS". Why send them on a treasure hunt to find the problem?
Lyqyd #4
Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:47 AM
If they're not reading the existing (global!) stickies, a new sticky won't fix the issue.
Dlcruz129 #5
Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:52 AM
If they're not reading the existing (global!) stickies, a new sticky won't fix the issue.

If it's more eye-catching they probably would.
sjkeegs #6
Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

If it's more eye-catching they probably would.
I agree with this assertion. I don't see the "Forum Guidelines" unless I go into the "Ask a Pro" subforum. It should be made plainly obvious to new users how to get set up, and WHY those restrictions have been put in place.

I enjoy not having to report a bunch of spam posts when I come here, but we also want to make it easy for new users to participate.
Bubba #7
Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:30 AM
Would it be possible to send a welcome PM containing links to important things such as the Forum Guidelines? Most other forums I've been a part of have used this method, although I must say that the first thing I ever do when joining a new community is to read anything stickied so as not to embarrass myself.
NeverCast #8
Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:32 AM
I agree, most big forums, and we can consider CC as a BIG forum. Have had a Welcome PM, With links to rules and guidelines, as well as important notices.
Cranium #9
Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:16 PM
I don't see a problem with a welcome PM. That's actually not a bad idea.
Dlcruz129 #10
Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:56 PM
I agree. A welcome PM would be definitely useful.
pipa #11
Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:44 AM
I missed the little bit at the bottom aswell, know it's my fault for not reading through it properly and with care. However making it more stand out would probably help and make the job for both sides easier.
D3matt #12
Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:21 PM
I disagree. Most big forums don't send a "welcome PM". If anything I get them more from MMOs and the like. But in any context they annoy the hell out of me. I read stickies and information, and I don't need a PM to tell me so. Anyone with a brain should do the same. Stickies are there for a reason.
Bubba #13
Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:00 AM
I disagree. Most big forums don't send a "welcome PM". If anything I get them more from MMOs and the like. But in any context they annoy the hell out of me. I read stickies and information, and I don't need a PM to tell me so. Anyone with a brain should do the same. Stickies are there for a reason.

They annoy you? I can't imagine why, considering that it only makes it easier to identify the things that the site administrators really want to you know about. And yes, stickies are there for a reason and most people with who don't want to annoy the crap out of everyone will read them, but just to save everybody else the trouble of having to respond to those who ignore them, a welcome PM would be very nice.
pipa #14
Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:22 AM
Seems like the information is now bold which is good enough for me.
D3matt #15
Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

They annoy you? I can't imagine why, considering that it only makes it easier to identify the things that the site administrators really want to you know about. And yes, stickies are there for a reason and most people with who don't want to annoy the crap out of everyone will read them, but just to save everybody else the trouble of having to respond to those who ignore them, a welcome PM would be very nice.
*just joined forum* *Ready to start using it. Oh, wait, I have a stupid pm to go mark as read first.*

It doesn't help that most welcome PMs just contain the same crap that came pre-programmed with the software.