This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
diegodan1893's profile picture

Computers turn on when the chunk is loaded.

Started by diegodan1893, 01 February 2013 - 09:52 AM
diegodan1893 #1
Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:52 AM
In previous versions of ComputerCraft, when a computer was Off and you exit Minecraft or unload the chunk and then open again Minecraft, the computer still Off.

Why computers turn on automatically in 1.481? When a computer is off and you reload the chunk it will turn on without you to start it. This can produce lag on servers.

Sorry for my bad english.
Cloudy #2
Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:18 AM
This is how it is supposed to be. If it didn't in previous versions (I assume you're coming from tekkit) then it was a bug.
Lyqyd #3
Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:01 PM
Really? I had thought that only computers which were on when the chunk was unloaded were supposed to come on when the chunk was loaded again. Hmm.
Cloudy #4
Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:21 PM
Oh, I misunderstood. Yes, they should remain off.

Sigh, just reproduced. Will look into fixing for next version.
Cranium #5
Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:42 PM
Hooray, bug reports DO work!
Corbald #6
Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:25 PM
Unfortunately, it appears that this bug also prevents Turtles from restarting when a chunk reloads, regardless of their previous ON/OFF state. I have a row of Melee turtles in a mob farm. They attack in a simple loop, which worked fine until we updated. Now, they function until everyone leaves the chunk, then they EACH require someone to right click on them to activate them, at which point they function as normal until unloaded again.

CC: 1.5
Cloudy #7
Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:27 AM
…………..

/me tableflips

Computers starting and not starting is annoying the hell out of me.
theoriginalbit #8
Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:29 AM
Now, they function until everyone leaves the chunk

Temp fix: use chunk loaders to keep the area loaded :)/>
Lyqyd #9
Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:23 AM
This does not work between server restarts, which many multiplayer servers do on a daily basis.
Corbald #10
Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:07 AM
Now, they function until everyone leaves the chunk

Temp fix: use chunk loaders to keep the area loaded :)/>
This does not work between server restarts, which many multiplayer servers do on a daily basis.

That's the issue we are running into now. I have tried a number of things to help debug this issue, the only one that seems to have yielded any noticeable results was having a turtle.turnRight then Left at the beginning of the startup program. In some cases, one or two of the turtles would be turned to the right after an unload. So, some of the time, at least, the first line is running. I'm also finding that some of them, very occasionally, are crashed when you attempt to boot them, with a "Failure to Yield" error. Hope that helps ;D
Cloudy #11
Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:02 AM
This actually sounds like an error in your code.