This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Dweller_Benthos's profile picture

Turtle fuel types not working?

Started by Dweller_Benthos, 04 February 2013 - 08:49 AM
Dweller_Benthos #1
Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:49 AM
Not sure if this is an error in the wiki, a bug in the turtle, or just me being derp. But the wiki page http://computercraft...i/Turtle.refuel says that turtles can refuel with biofuel cans and coalfuel cans. First off, I can't find anywhere that a coalfuel can exists. Coalfuel cells, yes, but not cans. Be that as it may, I put a coalfuel cell in the turtle's first slot and type "refuel" and I get the fuel zero reply. Then, I tried all the types of biofuel (cans, cells, capsules, buckets) and none of them work either.

I didn't try the other fuel types except lava and coal, which do work fine (lava cells and buckets work, but none of the other types of lava work). So, am I doing it wrong, is the wiki wrong, or are those fuel types broken?

Oh yeah, running 1.4.7 FTB Mindcrack version.
immibis #2
Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:01 PM
You make a fuel can, and use a canning machine to put the cells in the can. It takes 6 cells.
Dweller_Benthos #3
Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:00 PM
Yes, I know that, but it doesn't fuel the turtle. Neither biofuel nor coalfuel work, other people have tested this and come up with the same results.
immibis #4
Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:35 PM
You said you tried cells. Also biofuel cells (which contain IC2 biofuel) are different from biofuel cans/capsules/buckets (which contain Forestry biofuel)
Dweller_Benthos #5
Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:16 AM
I tried all types of biofuel, cans, cells, capsules, buckets, as I mention in the OP, and none work. Since there is only one type of coalfuel, a cell, it seems something is not correct, either the mod or the wiki, and that is my question, which is wrong?
immibis #6
Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:35 PM
You use a canning machine to fill an empty fuel can with 6 coalfuel cells. The resulting filled fuel can can be used to fuel furnaces, generators and turtles.
Same for biofuel (make sure to use biofuel cells not biofuel cans/capsules/anything else as they're two completely unrelated fuel sources).
Both biofuel and coalfuel cells make filled fuel cans, but with different amounts of fuel in them.

Biofuel cells and coalfuel cells cannot be used as fuel. Only filled fuel cans can be used as fuel.
Dweller_Benthos #7
Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:46 AM
Ah, well, I tried filled cans I think, and it didn't work, maybe I did have the wrong ones. I will re-test again and see.

Later: OK, I was testing using NEI cheat mode to get items. I guess the filled fuel can that you get from NEI doesn't count, you actually have to create the filled fuel can in the canning machine.

Still, the wiki is a bit misleading, it should say something like "Filled fuel can from biofuel cell" or "Filled fuel can from coalfuel cell" instead of "Biofuel can" and "Coalfuel can" as the terminology can be mistaken from other items.

TL:DR the wiki is confusing and I was a bit derpy.
Doyle3694 #8
Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:52 AM
So, who are these other people who came up with the same results that it didn't work? Or were they just imaginary so that you could enforce your point?
Cloudy #9
Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:03 AM
The wiki is user edited. It isn't wrong with what it said - most people don't use NEI cheat mode to get items :)/>
Dweller_Benthos #10
Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:16 AM
It was being discussed in this thread as well http://www.computerc...l-with-options/ I don't make stuff up to enforce my point.

I admit I was wrong on this one, even mentioned it in the OP I might be doing something stupid. But the wiki is a bit confusing considering there are several types of the fuel mentioned. With the popularity of mod packs these days, it's not easy or even obvious to know that the different items are from different mods and that two items with similar names can act completely differently. Just sayin. Even if you're not cheating items in with NEI, if you do a recipe search for biofuel can (as written in the wiki), you'll get a completely different item than the one that's needed. Matter of fact, you'll never find what kind of can you need to use that way. Same goes for coal fuel.

You can delete or lock this thread as you see fit as it's pretty much a dead horse at this point.