This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
EvgEniy's profile picture

Boot Order

Started by EvgEniy, 16 February 2012 - 01:25 PM
EvgEniy #1
Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:25 PM
I've noticed that (as of 1.21) computers try booting from floppy first.
It seems that it may cause security problems in SMP.
I mean the only thing you need ho hack in is floppy with empty startup script.
I hope this will be fixed or someone will explain me how to disable automatic floppy boot.
Advert #2
Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:54 PM
You can put a disk drive on top of the computer, with a floppy in it, then protect that block (I believe the top floppy will always run first). That, and encrypting all sensitive data is the only way of protecting it.

Other than that, yeah, there isn't much you can do, except for playing on a server that has trusted people on it.
FuzzyPurp #3
Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:13 PM
Well that's how these computer's work in real life anyway. It will boot from a drive first if a disk is inserted. The boot order if you are wondering, with a drive on all 6 sides with a floppy inserted with a startup program in all drives would be like so. Top, bottom, front, back, left, right. So as you see a drive on the top will always take priority over any other drive.

Security? that is on the user to secure yourself. There are 100 ways to do things, you are just not thinking about it. Hacking on smp is fun and intentional by the mod, but so is anti hacking and surprising hackers with good security!
Advert #4
Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:45 PM
You could also do what I do: Keep everything on a floppy, and keep that floppy in your inventory :D/>/>
Espen #5
Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:56 PM
Hey EvgEniy,

I just posted a little tutorial in light of your question.
Take a look at it and see if it can help you out: http://www.computerc...p-disk-booting/
6677 #6
Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:37 AM
Best way to check your computers security: attempt to hack it, each and every successful hacking method that works you attempt to employ an anti-hack. good fun.

Door locks etc I have a terminal hidden under my floor linked via rednet to my main terminal which reads a password from a floppy and sends the password to my hidden terminal which then opens the door. Even if the hacker hacks my main terminal (even though I play single player, lets say herobrine instead :huh:/>/>) he needs to know the password to send to open my door. With insulated wires you can invert certain lines of the bundle cable to alter what the password is sent as aswell but thats needlessly complex. My passwords are often solitaire shifts on random words that come to mind when I look around my room (IRL).

I know this doesn't help change the boot order on SMP but it is a little bit of extra security, if your server supports protection (through whatever mod) you can protect your room preventing the hacker from finding your terminal. Of course if they are after the contents of your computer rather than opening iron doors etc this method won't work. Which is why floppies exist in the first place.
Casper7526 #7
Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:23 PM
Controller Terminal ——- Hidden Terminal (inside your building)

Controller Terminal simply sends a rednet message containing the password to the hidden terminal.
The hidden terminal is the one that checks to see if the password is correct then open's/closes the door ect ect.
Liraal #8
Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:38 PM
Well, there's another method: use one terminal as a network drive! All your stuff is safe unless someone finds the drive. And if your server supports wireless redstone, that's as near impossible as you'll ever get.

Oh, and you can always use a turtle for storage as well.