This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Exerro's profile picture

New file format?

Started by Exerro, 16 February 2013 - 07:45 AM
Exerro #1
Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:45 AM
I was thinking…files are fairly limited and take up lots of space if you want to store info about them….so what if someone made a new file format that if it was run with a certain program it would open up loads more possibilities.

Stuff like runtime and error counting and a program log system where you can log certain events

All this information could be stored within one file which could be very useful for developers…imagine….an error in your code that you cant find so you get it to log critical errors which immediately shows what line its on, but another error pops up and you cant find it so you enable syntax correction in the config part of the file and it adds the 'then' that you missed 5 times and spent so long trying to find yourself

Im just not sure if anyone would use it or how useful it could really be without lots of features in the program that runs it

If you like the idea or have any suggestions please just post them below :D/>
Lyqyd #2
Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:00 AM
The suggested functionality is entirely unrelated to file formats. It sounds like you're looking for a Lua IDE, essentially.
Exerro #3
Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:09 AM
I have no idea what that is but i probably didnt explain well…what i mean is to have a file with stuff in it and when you run it, it will save certain things inside the file (probably in notes) so you have extra options for the file. There would also be a config section that would let you do things like save variables/logs or only run with certain parameters etc. i guess file format is the wrong way to explain it but i couldnt think of anything else to describe it as
Bubba #4
Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:37 AM
Err… this isn't really a new file format at all. As far as I can tell, what you're suggesting is having a sort of compiler which checks for configs/errors and optimizes code and such. Sounds complicated and unnecessary if you ask me, but if you want to give it a shot then by all means.