This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
theoriginalbit's profile picture

Changed Printer or Advanced Printer

Started by theoriginalbit, 21 February 2013 - 02:59 AM
theoriginalbit #1
Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:59 AM
I think it would be nice if there was a way for us to print multiple colours to a page, from multiple ink tanks. Obviously this would be ideal as maybe 4 'ink' slots (red, yellow, blue, black) and maybe selecting the ink slot (advanced printer maybe?).

Is it currently possible to print more than 1 colour to a page? I haven't been able to get it to do it. If you can not, this would be cool too.

Lastly I think it would be nice to be able to have a background colour, maybe text too just like Advanced Computers/Monitors (maybe another option in Advanced Printer). I think this could make for some really nice printable pages/printed books and could bring the popularity for this particular peripheral up.

Also, imagine this, using the idea in the first paragraph, 'edit' program, 'print' :o/> whats this, syntax highlighting on the printed page?! :o/>

Again, thanks for reading, hope this wasn't too hard to follow, was easier to describe in my head ;)/> :P/>

— TheOriginalBIT
Pinkishu #2
Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:19 AM
You can have a turtle swap out the color during printing~
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:23 AM
You can have a turtle swap out the color during printing~
Ahh so thats how its done. so it can pull out the current ink and put in a new one? is there a certain side it has to go on?

Still think it would be nice that it just built into the modem over needing either some kind of synchronisation (so you can have nice GUI and the turtle doing it) or having printing done only on a turtle.
Pinkishu #4
Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:31 AM
well i think i tcan pull it out from the sides
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #5
Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:42 AM
When you print.newPage() it use 1 ink and 1 paper so i beleive that is impossible without makig a page for every color
Lyqyd #6
Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:08 AM
It's been done. Simply keep the printer mostly empty, move the partially printed page to the feed tray, swap out your ink and start a "new" page.
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:15 AM
It's been done. Simply keep the printer mostly empty, move the partially printed page to the feed tray, swap out your ink and start a "new" page.
Not very user-friendly, but its workable. Still think it would be nice to have a level that doesn't require them to keep putting in the page. But i can work with this way until/if something changes. :)/> thanks Lyqyd.
Lyqyd #8
Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:30 AM
This is actually one reason why it is a good idea to set up a dedicated printing station if it's something one will be doing a lot of. It's nice to be able to send formatted documents to a rednet printer and have the printer take care of the details of page and ink management.
Sammich Lord #9
Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:33 AM
Not very user-friendly, but its workable. Still think it would be nice to have a level that doesn't require them to keep putting in the page. But i can work with this way until/if something changes. :)/> thanks Lyqyd.
But you could also say all of ComputerCraft is non-user-friendly. Doesn't come with any fancy door lock scripts built in so you would have to code one yourself. There isn't a nice GUI for things so you have to make one yourself. It is the same way for the printer. It may not be user-friendly but it is doable.
Cranium #10
Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:27 AM
True, but being able to switch colors would be nice without having to code a turtle to do it for you, and run out existing ink level before switching back to another color.
Sammich Lord #11
Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:28 AM
True, but being able to switch colors would be nice without having to code a turtle to do it for you, and run out existing ink level before switching back to another color.
True. It is a pain to do it manually.
Cranium #12
Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:29 AM
So IMO, using a printer cartridge would make more sense. It would have to include red, yellow, blue, and black. Ink carttriges could be made in such a way:
R Y B
S BK S
S S S

R=red
Y=yellow
B=blue
BK=black
S=stone

I just think it makes much more sense rather than wiping some green stuff on the paper.
Skullblade #13
Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:10 PM
I like this idea it makes a lot of sense and brings printers to the modern age
theoriginalbit #14
Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:16 PM
Also, the printer.getPageSize() does this mean that we are going to get different paper sizes? and/or a landscape page? If not, what is the point of the getPageSize function?
Shnupbups #15
Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:15 PM
This was already suggested by me, here. But everyone let it go…
theoriginalbit #16
Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:30 PM
Didn't see that link when I searched.
ChunLing #17
Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:35 PM
Just use multiple printers, each dedicated to printing a different color on the pages as they move through the system.

I mean…CC is still essentially a Minecraft mod, building complicated machines to carry out everything is a pretty important mechanic of the game.
Pinkishu #18
Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:03 AM
Just use multiple printers, each dedicated to printing a different color on the pages as they move through the system.

I mean…CC is still essentially a Minecraft mod, building complicated machines to carry out everything is a pretty important mechanic of the game.

so true~ either use multiple printers or optimize your printing programs to waste the least amount of ink or so :P/>
nutcase84 #19
Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:07 AM
I had this idea… but with pictures. Like the adv. computer. Pixel manipulation with printers!
Left4Cake #20
Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:03 PM
I had this idea… but with pictures. Like the adv. computer. Pixel manipulation with printers!

What if printers could print on maps.

printer.printmap(file, mapx, mapy)
Pinkishu #21
Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

There was a peripheral doing that, and iirc cloudy or dan (dunno who) said it wouldn't make sense for a text-based mod to suddenly support graphics/pixel-operations on printers
Dlcruz129 #22
Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

There was a peripheral doing that, and iirc cloudy or dan (dunno who) said it wouldn't make sense for a text-based mod to suddenly support graphics/pixel-operations on printers

Well, maybe it would make more sense now that we have pixel operations in vanilla CC.
Pinkishu #23
Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Well, maybe it would make more sense now that we have pixel operations in vanilla CC.

He said that like a couple weeks ago, color was long implemented then, and its not really pixel operations anyway
Dlcruz129 #24
Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

He said that like a couple weeks ago, color was long implemented then, and its not really pixel operations anyway

Ah. Well, we don't have per-pixel operations, but neither do maps.
Divide_By_0 #25
Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:08 PM
hey, maybe making Liquid Dyes would be cool, and you could use a turtle.api to select colors based upon Liquid Dyes, and a Slot Number, they would all be in the Forge Liquid Dictionary i suppose, allowing them to be stored in tanks, from XyCraft, Railcraft, Buildcraft etc. etc. etc.
ChunLing #26
Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:02 PM
…how much stuff are you planning on printing?