This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Derp_Herpsworth's profile picture

[Discussion]Open-source, Linux-like terminal based OS?

Started by Derp_Herpsworth, 01 March 2013 - 01:54 PM
Derp_Herpsworth #1
Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:54 PM
Hello everyone.

I've been thinking in making a Linux-like/Android-like terminal based OS.

Obviously wouldn't be Linux at all, it's a different programming language. But i think in things like su, sudo, apt-get, file format (.deb, .sh, .bundle), select user and put password, basic programs which partially look like Ubuntu and Android apps. Also, i've thought in being a single-task OS, rednet-compatible, but being a easy OS to use.

Also, like Linux-based distros and kernel, the OS will be open-source.

What programs i've thought so far…
—-
Redstonium: Rednet browser with tab support. Based on Chromium browser.

Slike: Instant messenger and chatroom service, compatible with Cubebook friends. Based on Skype and Facebook Chat.

Cubedisk: Fake social network program. Based on Facebook, Orkut, Google+ and Twitter.

Enderpad: IDE for Lua. Based on gedit.

Malculator: Basic calculation program. Based on Android calculator and Galculator.

Minedroid App Store: GUI for installation of new software. Based on Mac App Store, Ubuntu Software Center, Windows Store and Google Play.

MineAmp: Music Player. Based on Winamp, iTunes and Rythymbox.

RBooker: DRD (Digital Redstone Document, parody of PDF) reader, used for key documents or RBooks (RBook, parody of Ebook).

CubeToady: Advanced Texting Program, part of CubeOffice suite, based on Microsoft Word.

CubeBowser: Spreadsheet like program, part of CubeOffice suite, based on Microsoft Excel.

CubeKamek: Slideshow building program, part of CubeOffice suite, based on Microsoft Powerpoint.

CubeShyGuy: R-mail (parody of E-mail) client. Based on Gmail and Microsoft Outlook.

What do you guys think?
Dlcruz129 #2
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:06 PM
Good luck. This is really ambitious stuff which requires a mastery of Lua, specifically something like a social network or IDE.
Derp_Herpsworth #3
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:11 PM
Good luck. This is really ambitious stuff which requires a mastery of Lua, specifically something like a social network or IDE.

That's one of the reasons i'm not going to close the source. So if i somehow have to stop coding, someone will able to continue or enhance it.
Dlcruz129 #4
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

That's one of the reasons i'm not going to close the source. So if i somehow have to stop coding, someone will able to continue or enhance it.

I wish you luck then. ;)/>
oeed #5
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:31 PM
If you are more interested in making the applications than the OS you could make applications for PearOS, an OS that I am about to release. It has windows, multitasking etc.)

Here is a (rather old) screen shot:
Kingdaro #6
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:31 PM
I kinda wanna make the powerpoint editor. Seems like a neat thing to do.

If you are more interested in making the applications than the OS you could make applications for PearOS, an OS that I am about to release. It has windows, multitasking etc.)

That's really neat, actually. The only thing I dislike about operating systems like this is that they reduce screen space because of the bar at the top or bottom. Perhaps if someone made an autohide feature, somehow.
oeed #7
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

That's really neat, actually. The only thing I dislike about operating systems like this is that they reduce screen space because of the bar at the top or bottom. Perhaps if someone made an autohide feature, somehow.

Not a bad idea, I forgot to mention that it's based on Mac OS, so the applications menu bar is that little bar at the top. It's only 1 'pixel' so doesn't take too much space, I was considering adding a dock but it didn't look good with the constrained space.
Kingdaro #8
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:39 PM
Not a bad idea, I forgot to mention that it's based on Mac OS, so the applications menu bar is that little bar at the top. It's only 1 'pixel' so doesn't take too much space, I was considering adding a dock but it didn't look good with the constrained space.
The screen is 19 high, and with the bar that's 18 left if the window is maximized, and 16 or less otherwise. It might just be my need for ALL OF THE SPACE but I think that's a big chunk. :lol:/>

Also, would a dock work if you implemented a "smart hiding" feature, where it disappears if a window is overlapping the dock or is maximized?
Dlcruz129 #9
Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Good job! You did a good job with the color scheme, despite only having 16 to choose from.
oeed #10
Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:00 PM
–snip snip–
Good job! You did a good job with the color scheme, despite only having 16 to choose from.

Thanks, I have a selection for the background colour too which has most of the other colours except for light grey, white and black.

The screen is 19 high, and with the bar that's 18 left if the window is maximized, and 16 or less otherwise. It might just be my need for ALL OF THE SPACE but I think that's a big chunk. :lol:/>

Also, would a dock work if you implemented a "smart hiding" feature, where it disappears if a window is overlapping the dock or is maximized?

I'll experiment with a dock this afternoon, I'll be posting a topic for anyone interested in having an application included with the OS at launch.

Edit: Oh and by the way, you can use monitors and still do the same things as using the computer screen. So thats always an option for things that have to be larger.
Edited on 01 March 2013 - 05:45 PM
Derp_Herpsworth #11
Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

Well, i'm planning to do this OS for my future server. But this doesn't stop people of downloading it here.

Also, about the "Powerpoint-like" editor, are you able to make it compatible with monitors? I hope so.

The reason i'm doing the OS terminal-based (CLI, mainly) and single-task, is because i want to make the computers look like they are from the 80s, altough the server will take place on a post-apocalyptic future.

Also, remember that the key programs integrated on it will be open-source. It's a OS that everyone can edit and update.

All the help is welcome, even if i'm still learning how to program on Lua (i'm at the very beginning).

Also, add me on Skype if you think you can do something for me: mad.castro.2011
Exerro #12
Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:24 AM
This looks interesting and i recently made an api that handles multitasking very easily ( not as powerful as things like goroutine but easy to use ) and maybe you could implement that? To me, only OS's with multitasking or amazing graphics are any good unless they have something as equally good about them and so to have both would be great.
Anyway i would really like to help out with this, if you are still accepting applications
bjornir90 #13
Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:11 AM
The IDE sounds cool to me, I ever wanted to have a real IDE in-game
Kingdaro #14
Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Objects and rendering system done. Next up is the menu.
brucelong #15
Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Looks good, although it's Apple…
oeed #16
Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:18 PM
Thats screen shot is really old. This one is much newer:

…actually it's not too different. Anyway.

Yes, it's Apple. Now, I don't want to start a flamewar, but I think that OS X is the best and easiest to use OS.
Take a look at the link in my sig.

EDIT: Just noticed, raising a dead post much?
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #17
Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:59 PM
Seems pretty good, but couldn't you take some already written mail program, that is also in other os's, so you have a higher compability? And, by the way: it's impossible to make anything that not open-source for computercraft since code doesn't get compiled
Left4Cake #18
Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:54 AM
Edit:(This forum needs a delete button)

Anyway, I wish good luck to you and this project.