This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Sxw's profile picture

[1.5]CCBox, Virtualbox for cc!

Started by Sxw, 03 March 2013 - 05:46 AM
Sxw #1
Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:46 AM
Hi! I have made a program that lets you run multiple "os's" on a single computer. This could be used for a login system because of the chroot, or choosing from operating systems. To use, all you have to do is make a system folder, name it whatever. You have to have a rom/programs/she'll in there. If you use the default rom, you will have to increase disk space in the config. because it is above 2mb in size. Once you have done this, simply type ccbox [folder]. A nice little gui should pop up if you did it correctly. To start the vm, press the green button with "B" on it. To shutdown the vm, press the orange button with S on it. To exit ccbox, just press the red X button.

Screenshots:
SpoilerComing soon! I promise!

Download:

pastebin get nrSC7JcH ccbox

It auto-updates, so don't worry about updating.

Bugs?
Report any bugs to http://github.com/Sxw1212/ccprograms/issues

Credits:
I use the awesome go routine and redirect Apis from gophersatl, go check them out!
NeptunasLT #2
Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:53 AM
This is What i got:
Updating…
Launching…
shell:80: bad argument: string expected, go nil
Sxw #3
Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:18 AM
:L did you run it like this: ccbox /folder
Or, try redownloading it. I posted a new version of the launcher just in case.
darkrising #4
Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:15 PM
Works nicely :)/>
oeed #5
Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:41 PM
Very cool! You may want to make sure you set the text colour of the bottom buttons, they appear to be changing colour based on whats running.
tesla1889 #6
Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:59 PM
fantastic idea man! ive been waiting to see someone do something like this
TheOddByte #7
Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:21 AM
I'm getting a weird error..

pastebin:92: attempt to index? (a nil value)
Have'nt gotten that when trying to download anything else, Just this.
dissy #8
Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:11 AM
Pretty slick chroot/jail app! I tested it out in the emulator (cc 1.5, advanced computer) with a jailed startup file and no 'ls' or 'dir' commands copied into the jail. (Specifically, no /rom/startup to add those commands or edit the path variable.)
Everything worked exactly as expected!

I even took some screenshots (Feel free to use/edit/whatever. You can go one folder up to 'picts', to right-click save if need be.)

ccbox-1 shows a root folder with no startup file, and a test1 folder that itself contains a startup file and a /test1/rom/programs/shell file (But no other programs.) I am about to hit enter on the command "ccbox /test1"
ccbox-2 shows after hitting enter on the "ccbox /test1" command.
ccbox-3 shows after clicking the green "B" boot button, and shows the /test1/startup program running successfully.
ccbox-4 shows an attempt at running "ls", but as I purposefully did not copy over /rom/startup into the jail, it gives the expected "No such program" error.

Finally, I copied the entire contents of /rom/programs/ to /test1/rom/programs/ and also copied /rom/startup to /test1/rom/startup
and then re-ran "ccbox /test1"

ccbox-5 shows "ls" works as expected this time, and there is no trace of the test1 or test2 folders in the root dir, showing it is indeed jailed inside /test1/
lieudusty #9
Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:47 AM
Looks very nice!
alakazard12 #10
Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:54 AM
I made something like this a while ago.
kornichen #11
Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:51 PM
Very cool program but please find a way that you don't have to copy the files from /rom/prorams into the Guest OS's folder :D/>

… And a GUI would be nice ;)/>
MudkipTheEpic #12
Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:23 AM
Very cool program but please find a way that you don't have to copy the files from /rom/prorams into the Guest OS's folder :D/>

… And a GUI would be nice ;)/>

I am releasing exactly that later today/tomorrow. :D/>

(Not to compete, got inspiration from this)
nutcase84 #13
Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:50 AM
No pics, no clicks.
theoriginalbit #14
Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:00 AM
No pics, no clicks.
interesting theory since there has been 661 topic clicks and 17 pastebin clicks.
kornichen #15
Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:21 AM
Very cool program but please find a way that you don't have to copy the files from /rom/prorams into the Guest OS's folder :D/>/>

… And a GUI would be nice ;)/>/>

I am releasing exactly that later today/tomorrow. :D/>/>

(Not to compete, got inspiration from this)

I love you :)/>
Now I can test KREOS much easier.
MudkipTheEpic #16
Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:06 AM
Added KREOS to default OSes because you said that :3

And releasing VERY SOON
rhysjack7 #17
Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:42 AM
shell:80: bad argument: string expected, go nil
That Did Not Happen With Me