This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Dlcruz129's profile picture

"Welcome" E-Mail

Started by Dlcruz129, 06 March 2013 - 11:59 AM
Dlcruz129 #1
Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:59 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to send all new members a welcome e-mail when they first register for the forums, mainly to tell them about the 3-post anti-spam measure. There are a hundred posts on the forums saying "Why can't I post?", and this would really help that problem. Is this possible in IP.Board?
oeed #2
Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:41 PM
Well I received an email requesting me to activate my account, so I presume you can. If you can't it could just be added to that.
Frederikam #3
Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:53 PM
Make some kind of banner visible for new members would be a good idea, some people only read emails when they know they received something important. Some people may not read the entire activation email.
Cranium #4
Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:11 AM
Make some kind of banner visible for new members would be a good idea, some people only read emails when they know they received something important. Some people may not read the entire activation email.
There is a banner visible to everyone. It's in the Forum Guidelines announcement.
Dlcruz129 #5
Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:14 AM
There is a banner visible to everyone. It's in the Forum Guidelines announcement.
But people don't read that. :P/>
Maybe people would read a welcome email with bold text.
Cranium #6
Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:19 AM
People just don't read unless they want to. Even if we give them a welcome email they won't read it.
Dlcruz129 #7
Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:51 AM
People just don't read unless they want to. Even if we give them a welcome email they won't read it.

What about a large banner at the top of the screen, only shown to new members? Is that possible in IP.Board?
Frederikam #8
Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

What about a large banner at the top of the screen, only shown to new members? Is that possible in IP.Board?
That was my point.
Bubba #9
Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM
Is there email verification? If so, you could do something like this:

You will be unable to start threads until you have made at least three posts in an already existing thread. If you need help, make a post in the ask a pro forum requesting that we split your question into its own thread.

Activate your account here.

That would be pretty noticeable.

It seems odd to me that there is no way to provide a custom error message upon invalid thread creation.
oeed #10
Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:16 PM
Rather than having it in basic text make it look nice, in bold font.
Cranium #11
Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

You will be unable to start threads until you have made at least three posts in an already existing thread. If you need help, make a post in the ask a pro forum requesting that we split your question into its own thread.

It seems odd to me that there is no way to provide a custom error message upon invalid thread creation.
There is email verification. I believe a welcome email was discussed, and subsequently denied by Cloudy(and I think Dan as well). As far as I am aware, Dan is looking into new forum software, but I have not heard anything about that. Just be patient, folks, and let the moderators deal with the newbies. We'll set them straight.
AfterLifeLochie #12
Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

We cannot alter IP.Board for two reasons:
  • Adding verification emails for accounts is possible, however, I do not think the message is customizable. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's not.
  • It is possible to alter the Locale data, however, this would cause server-wide issues. It is also hard to modify the error text thrown anyway - as we're talking group-specific errors here, and not just a "check a box, write a line".