This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
PhilHibbs's profile picture

Redpower Computers

Started by PhilHibbs, 08 March 2013 - 12:37 AM
PhilHibbs #1
Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:37 AM
Has anyone done anything with Redpower computers? There don't seem to be many people using them, I found a "community" but it's a bit of a ghost town.

I've just completed the programming part of my automatic processing build using two computers and two sortrons, now I just have to hook up the coloured outputs to some actual processing machines and I'll be able to macerate ore, smelt dusts, refine iron, and recycle cobblestone from anywhere using just an Ender Pouch and a Wireless Remote.

Would anybody be interested in - or would anybody object to - sharing and discussion of Redpower programs on this forum?

Here's my Sortron-driven processing system project so far.
Mendax #2
Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:20 AM
We mostly use ComputerCraft computers, hoewever I did set up CC/RP2 communication at one point.

FYI: Last thread about RP2 computers started a flame war IIRC o.O
1v2 #3
Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:42 AM
The RP2 computers are pretty awesome. It was a fun way of learning 6502.
Shnupbups #4
Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:47 AM
I personally never use the RP computers. CC all the way!
Mailmanq! #5
Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:41 PM
I used them form a sortron thing and used to use them for frame things, because it was in the RP spirit, but that is it, because I don't need them for much else.
Pharap #6
Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:02 PM
Saw a tutorial once, tried some IOX stuff, then realised lua is much easier and gave up on them. The fortran computers haven't been given many additional features beyond the IO expander. Sure the ribbon cable is nice, but CC will have a similar system soon enough.

The main reason the other computer's community is a ghost town is because the computer itself is a bit of a ghost town when it comes to features. Redpower is definitely more about the wiring, its the thing that does it most credit (even if it glitches after I try to add a variable storage system to a binary full adder)
Cloudy #7
Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:59 PM
Would anybody be interested in - or would anybody object to - sharing and discussion of Redpower programs on this forum?

This is a ComputerCraft website. So yes, I object.
immibis #8
Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:40 PM
You can do it in the General forum only, I think.
robhol #9
Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:42 PM
What I've seen of Forth freaks me out anyway. Why would anyone willingly inflict that upon themselves, let alone other people.
immibis #10
Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

This is a ComputerCraft website. So yes, I object.
PhilHibbs #11
Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:15 PM
OK. I don't want to start a MCIBTYC flame war. I love both ComputerCraft and Redpower, and I'm only using RP CPUs to interface with the Sortron, which is impossible with ComputerCraft anyway. So I'll keep to the General forum, for which nothing is off-topic, and I'll just link to my posts on the FTB forum rather than posting code or screenshots here. Fair compromise?
Pharap #12
Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:53 AM
I have nothing against discussing redpower, it's as close as CC has to a sister mod given how nice Eloraam was allowing computercraft to interface with bundled cable.

But yeah, this should stay in general.
SuicidalSTDz #13
Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:20 PM
I used to use FORTH before I came back to Lua (Yes I switched multiple times). FORTH in general is just a dead, stack-based language. NASA used it, but that's about it. However, props to eloraam for making an interpreter for it.
Pharap #14
Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:27 PM
Stacks are still important, but Forth's syntax is awkward.
PonyKuu #15
Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:09 PM
The main feature of RP-computers compared to CC ones is that they continue to run afrer world reset :3
PhilHibbs #16
Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:32 AM
The main feature of RP-computers compared to CC ones is that they continue to run afrer world reset :3
I would say that is far from "the main feature compared to CC". The main feature is Sortron interaction. I'd say that it is, for example, "the main feature of quarries compared to turtles", and "the main feature of Arboretums compared to turtles", but I don't see the restart problem as being a major obstacle to CC computers. They don't move, so they can persist their status pretty easily, and most CC programs are interactive anyway and so maintaining status between user actions isn't a big thing.
PonyKuu #17
Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:43 AM
Well that was partially a joke, but for turtles it is still a valid argument. You have to save the state of your programs if you wish them to run after restarts. Especially the excavation programs and so on - they are not very interactive. But sortron… yeah. Actually, I've never used it.
PhilHibbs #18
Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:39 AM
Well that was partially a joke, but for turtles it is still a valid argument. You have to save the state of your programs if you wish them to run after restarts. Especially the excavation programs and so on - they are not very interactive. But sortron… yeah. Actually, I've never used it.
Well, if you think you're a good programmer and ever want to feel what it's like being a total noob, try building a Sortron sorting system. Boy am I going to feel like I've done something amazing when I'm finished.
SuicidalSTDz #19
Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:17 PM
I still use FORTH to a certain degree. I have built a fully functional sortron sorting system. I have made computer controlled frame quarries, logic systems, packaging systems, and more. ^_^/> I still like Lua more since it's not Stack-Based.
PonyKuu #20
Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:45 AM
Well, if you think you're a good programmer and ever want to feel what it's like being a total noob, try building a Sortron sorting system. Boy am I going to feel like I've done something amazing when I'm finished.
I'm not a good programmer. And for now, I'm too lazy to mess up with sortron now, and I stil have some ideas about my turtle swarm quarry, so that will be my project for now… May be I'll try that eventually… WayOfTime made an awesome autocrafting system using the Sortron…
sophiamaster #21
Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:54 AM
I have an R6502 chip sitting on my desk that I use for projects. I was really impressed when the redpower computer was released. I don't think you can compare CC vs RPC though, they're both entirely different animals for entirely different userbase, for moderately different purposes.
Geforce Fan #22
Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:14 PM
I have an R6502 chip sitting on my desk that I use for projects. I was really impressed when the redpower computer was released. I don't think you can compare CC vs RPC though, they're both entirely different animals for entirely different userbase, for moderately different purposes.
Because computers are animals.
sophiamaster #23
Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yep. And animals are people that we can eat! :)/>
Pharap #24
Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'd argue vastly different purposes. I tend to use the CC computers for games and developing lua programming techniques more than creating redstone controlling systems. If I'm going to ever use an RPC, it would only ever be for machinery controlling work.

Yep. And animals are people that we can eat! :)/>
Humans are Apes. Apes are Animals. Cannibalism all around! *gets gnawed on by zombie*