This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
AfterLifeLochie's profile picture

READ ME - Before posting issues or complaints...

Started by AfterLifeLochie, 09 March 2013 - 11:33 AM
AfterLifeLochie #1
Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:33 PM
While we don't want to discourage you from giving us input to how we manage and organize the forums, here's a list of common solutions to issues you may be having on the forums, as well as suggestions which we don't plan on approving any time soon. By no account is this a definitive list - but please check back here before posting content.

I can't post new topics! (the "New Topic" option is not there/disabled/blacked out)
This means you're a new member - and you missed the rather large announcement in big bold text. New users can't create threads until they've had three approved posts - and this is to stop spam. Please don't post in other threads in this forum asking why you can't make threads - we can't change it for you. Post a little.

[indent=1]Please Note: If you are a member that joined prior to the 1st of November 2012, you may still be stuck in the 'New Members' group and therefore unable to create topics, even though you already have posts on the forums. To check if you're still in the 'New Members' group, go to your Profile page, beneath 'Community Stats' you'll see 'Group' and your current group details.[/indent]

[indent=1]If you have more than 5 posts in the 'Active Posts' field (directly below 'Group') and you're still stuck in the 'New Members' group, send me a PM. It's most likely IP.Board hasn't realized you've triggered the point where you change from the 'New Members' group (this is an IP.Board design issue).[/indent]

I can't change my Avatar! (it doesn't update / won't upload file / says there's an error)
There is a known issue with Avatars and internal storage - it is buggy for some unknown reason. We suggest that if you cannot get your avatar to work, that you use Gravatar and select the "Gravatar" option in the User Preferences page.

Can we get a link to x added to the navigation at the top?
This is a 'rabbit-hole' suggestion which has been suggested to death and has been pretty much denied to the implementation it takes.

The editor does weird things when I press backspace! (or any other control characters, in some browsers, or inside CODE blocks!)
This is an issue with the way content-panes are handled in browsers - as this is how the editor works. There is no fix, aside pressing the lightswitch button in the top left to switch to Plaintext editing mode. Some browsers, such as Chrome, act up inside CODE blocks, and the highlighting is rather messed up. No fix is available for CODE blocks.

My phone or mobile device (or desktop) is stuck in Mobile View!
There isn't any real fix for this issue, as it's still not understood why the option to switch back is not shown. If on a mobile device, there should be a "Switch Theme" option present, and/or a "Full Site". Sometimes, in Android, checking the "Request Desktop Site" option works. A fix is being worked on, but so far there is no known solution. Clearing cookies may help, but this is also not guaranteed. (Note: there's probably a way of manipulating all browsers into getting the desktop version of the site. I'm still digging.)

I have completely forgotten my password, and I can't recover it by email!
You will need to send a message to one of the Admins about this on IRC - they may ask you to prove it's your account, and will send recovery info to your email address on the account. If you can't access the email address, alternate arrangements can be made. If you have this issue do not make a new account.

I have an issue with the actions or decisions of a moderator!
This is not the place to comment, query, or complain about the actions of staff. Please take it up in a PM with the staff member, and if that does not come to a resolution, please politely bring it up with another staff member. Posting a complaint publicly not only makes you look silly, but generally reduces your chance of a decent resolution - and usually results in being embarrassed.
lieudusty #2
Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:34 PM
This is a good guide for newbies
Dlcruz129 #3
Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:35 PM
This needed to be done; good job.
Genclone #4
Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:09 AM
I find that this forum makes it hard for people like me to share my ideas for my Os and get the help I need to further its Advancements when I can't post any topics can some one please help with removing this block?
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:13 AM
I find that this forum makes it hard for people like me to share my ideas for my Os and get the help I need to further its Advancements when I can't post any topics can some one please help with removing this block?
It will never be removed read this
I can't post new topics! (the "New Topic" option is not there/disabled/blacked out)
This means you're a new member - and you missed the rather large announcement in big bold text. New users can't create threads until they've had three approved posts - and this is to stop spam. Please don't post in other threads in this forum asking to get this - we can't change it.
Spam was getting really bad! These measures needed to be implemented. You would be whining about spam if these measures were not in place.
Lyqyd #6
Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

As of this posting, you had replied four times, which places you in the Members group and should now be able to start your own topics.
TheArchitect #7
Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:56 AM
You will need to PM one of the Admins about this - they may ask you to prove it's your account, and will send recovery info to your email address on the account. If you can't access the email address, alternate arrangements can be made. If you have this issue do not make a new account.
Sorry to butt in, but… am I the only one seeing the contradiction here? If you forget your password, you can't log in. If you can't log in, and can't make a new account, how do you send a PM to the admins (or to anyone for that matter)?
AfterLifeLochie #8
Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:01 PM
You will need to PM one of the Admins about this - they may ask you to prove it's your account, and will send recovery info to your email address on the account. If you can't access the email address, alternate arrangements can be made. If you have this issue do not make a new account.
Sorry to butt in, but… am I the only one seeing the contradiction here? If you forget your password, you can't log in. If you can't log in, and can't make a new account, how do you send a PM to the admins (or to anyone for that matter)?
My mistake - I'm actually referring to on IRC. Fixing now. :P/>
Imgoodisher #9
Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:24 AM
My phone or mobile device (or desktop) is stuck in Mobile View!
There isn't any real fix for this issue, as it's still not understood why the option to switch back is not shown. If on a mobile device, there should be a "Switch Theme" option present, and/or a "Full Site". Sometimes, in Android, checking the "Request Desktop Site" option works. A fix is being worked on, but so far there is no known solution. Clearing cookies may help, but this is also not guaranteed. (Note: there's probably a way of manipulating all browsers into getting the desktop version of the site. I'm still digging.)

I believe there's an easy solution to this. At the bottom left or center of the page (depending on the current theme) there's a "Change Theme" button that can change between the 'ComputerCraft' theme (desktop) and 'IP.board moblie' theme (mobile)
Tiin57 #10
Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:59 AM
No, that doesn't work. I've tried it.
Dlcruz129 #11
Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:39 AM
No, that doesn't work. I've tried it.

It works for me. But the ultimate solution is to get better forum software, which I believe the devs are looking in to.
Tiin57 #12
Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:15 AM
But the ultimate solution is to get better forum software, which I believe the devs are looking in to.
Nah, the solution is to
1. Get cookies
2. Update IP Board
3. ???
4. Not profit, because that's overused.
Imque #13
Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:08 AM
Hello, I do have a working fix for being stuck in mobile view:

Step 1. Make sure your device isn't in the mode "request desktop site"

Step 2.Clear your device's browser's cache within the settings menu. Generally where you clear your history.

Step 3. Profit.
MudkipTheEpic #14
Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:29 AM
Hello, I do have a working fix for being stuck in mobile view:

Step 1. Make sure your device isn't in the mode "request desktop site"

Step 2.Clear your device's browser's cache within the settings menu. Generally where you clear your history.

Step 3. Profit.

For iPhone, it's exit the browser, doubletap home, hold down the app and press the minus, press home and go back to the app.
theoriginalbit #15
Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:18 PM
For iPhone, it's exit the browser, doubletap home, hold down the app and press the minus, press home and go back to the app.
Which just unloads the program from memory, so I assume doing the process of removing the app from the tray in Android would do the same… Who knows for Windows.
Tiin57 #16
Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:48 AM
Why would you use mobile mode on Windows?
nutcase84 #17
Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

I think he means windows mobile (Microsoft's Mobile OS).
theoriginalbit #18
Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:01 AM
Yes as nutcase stated, I mean Windows Mobile. I figured most people would figure that out on their own considering we were on the topic of mobile phones.
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #19
Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:13 PM
You should delete the part of the os forums cause it was added
Cranium #20
Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:28 AM
You should delete the part of the os forums cause it was added
No.
Lyqyd #21
Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:31 AM
If Lochie feels like deleting that paragraph, he will. It's not really hurting anything.
Bwham #22
Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:40 AM
Good to know, thanks!
Vorg #23
Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:38 PM
Nearly all forums have some place on a topic to click that will take you to start of new post for that thread. I'm not finding that here.
Lyqyd #24
Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:49 PM
As you hover over a topic link, you'll see a yellow circle appear near the replies and views numbers. Click that and it should expand out, revealing the link you are seeking. I'm not sure why there isn't an easier way to do it.
Vorg #25
Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:08 PM
Thanks, hovering over that icon just said preview topic.
skarlitz #26
Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:17 PM
So we have to make five posts before we can even jump into the community?
Well that's quite a set back.
campicus #27
Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:14 AM
My search for this pulled up nothing. How do I post a "spoiler" so that I am not posting long code?
Lyqyd #28
Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:27 AM
[spoi<b></b>ler] stuff here
mrpictolin #29
Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:43 AM
This is a good guide for newbies
Nokiyen #30
Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:37 AM
Hello, I'm Noki from Japan.

I recently registered with this forum to introduce my CC peripheral mod.
Because I am a new-comer, I first went to "Forum Guidelines" page, and then, visited " New members needing to ask questions, please read." page to post.
But, the topic is locked and I can't post anything.

What should I do? The topic is temporally locked?
Lyqyd #31
Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:16 AM
The topic is permanently locked, but directs new users to start a new topic if necessary in the Ask a Pro section. We can move the topic to wherever it belongs.
Nokiyen #32
Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:19 PM
Oh, I seemed to misunderstand what you said at the topic…
I thought that we new-comers can now post only questions and bug reports at Ask a Pro and Bugs for each.

Anyway, I'll post my topic at Ask a Pro.

Thank you for your reply!
awsmazinggenius #33
Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:02 AM
Oh, I seemed to misunderstand what you said at the topic…
I thought that we new-comers can now post only questions and bug reports at Ask a Pro and Bugs for each.

Anyway, I'll post my topic at Ask a Pro.

Thank you for your reply!
In my opinion, it would be better to post 3 times, rather then posting in the wrong section completely.
Lyqyd #34
Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:21 AM
You are neither a moderator nor an administrator. It's better to post good content in the wrong place when told to do so than it is to post useless content simply to attempt to bypass the posting restrictions.
awsmazinggenius #35
Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:03 AM
You are neither a moderator nor an administrator. It's better to post good content in the wrong place when told to do so than it is to post useless content simply to attempt to bypass the posting restrictions.
Yes, and I do respect your decisions for this. And by "3 posts", I meant "3 useful posts". And I'm saying in my opinion, not that the forum rules say that you cannot do that or that the moderators and administrators say that. I hope that I did not come off rude to you, as that was not how I meant it to sound.
rhyser9 #36
Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:05 AM
Apparently I'm considered a "New Member" and, as such, I can't actually make a thread in the sub-forum or send a PM to the moderators, so I figure this is as good a place to post as any. Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to delete my account/threads?
Edited on 11 August 2016 - 04:06 AM
Player #37
Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:32 PM
ok i'm one user of computercraft,but i'm with one ask if you give-me permission to make a question post,i can say my question.

so a really have a limited time for make one map with this program…

^_^/>
Edited on 17 April 2017 - 09:26 PM
Bomb Bloke #38
Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:27 PM
New members are able to create threads in certain sections - such as Ask a Pro, where coding questions are appropriate.