This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TheOddByte's profile picture

[CODE][/CODE] Breaking codes for the most time..

Started by TheOddByte, 12 March 2013 - 11:27 AM
TheOddByte #1
Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:27 PM
So yeah I think when using [.CODE] [./CODE] (without'.') it breaks the code and
it looks all weird an stuff if you do some ascii art for example..
Is this something that you moderators can change sometime since it's really annoying
Dlcruz129 #2
Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:00 PM
Use the full editor. (The light switch thing in the top left corner)
Cranium #3
Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:17 PM
the forum software does remove extra whitespace to preserve post integrity(due to some bots spamming huge spacebar strings)
I'm pretty sure that this is built into IP.Board and cannot be changed. If you are drawing ascii art, use periods ( . ) instead of spaces.
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:34 PM
When I copy ascii art out to Sublime Text 2 its fine. Its the font they use not being even character spacing.
Lyqyd #5
Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:25 PM
The space characters are all there. Whether or not they get converted to non-breaking spaces is up in the air.
AfterLifeLochie #6
Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:20 PM
As far as I know, the forum doesn't convert them to non-breaking spaces, but instead wraps them in either a ‹pre› or ‹div› - which *usualy* preserve spacing.

I usually use the plain-text, simple editor (because the "fancy" one is terribad on Chrome) - and I have HTML access rights, so I'll have a play with this over in tests, and I'll come back with some results.
KaoS #7
Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:43 AM
the main issue I have with the code and spoiler tags is that they edit text, replacing all line breaks with <br> and similar &amp;gt etc etc but we don't have http rights so it doesn't display correctly. code tags do actually remove spaces sometimes, I had to edit a post 4x once to get it to leave them there (I literally went to edit and counted them, they were gone) but as far as I know this is IP board's issue and not the site admins, don't quote me on this as I am nub at anything not html, vbs, batch and Lua

it may actually just be chrome…
Lyqyd #8
Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:38 AM
I have never had the issues you describe (before or after becoming a moderator). I use Safari on my phone and Firefox on my desktop. Chrome may be playing a role in your issues.
KaoS #9
Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:51 AM
It's ok, I just learned to always make a code of say "aa" and then after creating the tag replace "aa" with your code, as long as you do not paste into the BBCcode thing it works
BigSHinyToys #10
Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:12 AM
Use pastebin
btw I use tab spacing and the forums don't like that so I convert tabs to four spaces if I post it in code tags. Notepad++ can auto convert tabs for you (save your sanity)

benifets of pastebin
1 ) direct download for clients through http "pastebin get"
2 ) free signup
3 ) code is not broken.
4 ) it allows users to see other programs you have available example
superaxander #11
Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:18 AM
Smileys mess up inside code tags and quotes too