This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SuicidalSTDz's profile picture

Turtle Name Tags

Started by SuicidalSTDz, 17 March 2013 - 07:02 PM
SuicidalSTDz #1
Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:02 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if you could have a tag above the turtle stating it's name like players in SMP? Alsmost like mob naming in Vanilla Minecraft.

I've always wanted a Melee Turtle named 'The Terminator' ^_^/>
Xfel #2
Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:51 PM
You can already label the turtles. use

label set <name>
Nobody would use the anvil naming function as it consts XP - the existing method is free.

Only thing the should change is to display the turtle name on top of the inventory screen
SuicidalSTDz #3
Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:47 AM
I am more than aware there is a labeling method already in place. I would simply like to see it expanded, maybe with the name above it in the world.
Dlcruz129 #4
Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:18 AM
I like this idea, but maybe it would just show the turtle's label above it, instead of having to use an anvil?
SuicidalSTDz #5
Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:22 AM
I like this idea, but maybe it would just show the turtle's label above it, instead of having to use an anvil?
Yeah, come to think of it, we don't need anvils since we have the label system.
lieudusty #6
Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:25 AM
This would seem like a nice idea. :P/>
SuicidalSTDz #7
Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:34 AM
This would seem like a nice idea. :P/>
I hope the devs think like you do ^_^/>
Bubba #8
Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:30 AM
Actually, this is something that I would really love to see implemented. I hate going around and checking every turtle for the one I want, and this happens fairly often to me due to the fact that my turtles all eventually return to the same place and in a different order than they originally were. But yeah, I would nix the anvil part of this.
SuicidalSTDz #9
Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:32 AM
Actually, this is something that I would really love to see implemented. I hate going around and checking every turtle for the one I want, and this happens fairly often to me due to the fact that my turtles all eventually return to the same place and in a different order than they originally were. But yeah, I would nix the anvil part of this.
Lol that is the reason I want this to be added as well.
Cloudy #10
Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:07 AM
Nah, not fond of this idea. Would be ugly.
SuicidalSTDz #11
Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:24 AM
Meh, I guess if you had more than one turtle next to each other then yeah. Oh well, along with everything else, I guess someone may make an addon to allow this someday ^_^/>

EDIT: IF we get computer hud helmets, maybe you would only be able to see turtle labels whilst wearing it? Just an idea

Another EDIT: Someday Cloudy, someday, I will make a suggestion that you cannot refuse! ^_^/>
Dlcruz129 #12
Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

Aww… I really thought this would be approved. :(/> Maybe just as a config option?
SuicidalSTDz #13
Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

Aww… I really thought this would be approved. :(/> Maybe just as a config option?
Actually that would be pretty nice if it were configurable. Those who want it can set it to true, those who don't can leave it alone (The option will be false by default)
Bubba #14
Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:26 AM
I know that you've already denied this, but could you please take a look at this and tell me if you still think that it would be ugly? I'm not great at photoshop, but I see no reason why this would be deemed as ugly.
SuicidalSTDz #15
Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:28 AM
I know that you've already denied this, but could you please take a look at this and tell me if you still think that it would be ugly? I'm not great at photoshop, but I see no reason why this would be deemed as ugly.
LOL! I like the one named 'Please?' ^_^/> This is exactly how I pictured them to be! Great Photoshop work Bubba! (Spodge or burn tool for the tag?) Also instead of always displaying the name tab, maybe only display it when a user is looking at it? Maybe 5-8 blocks away. Or just get dimmer the farther you/they move away
Bubba #16
Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:34 AM
Great Photoshop work Bubba! (Spodge or burn tool for the tag?)

Thank you :)/> Actually neither. I just used made a darkened tag shape in another document and copied/pasted into this one. Then I lowered the opacity down to about 50%.
Cloudy #17
Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:47 AM
I'm not completely against the idea but meh!
Bubba #18
Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Is that a meh of "This does not sound like fun to implement" or something else?
SuicidalSTDz #19
Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:03 AM
Great Photoshop work Bubba! (Spodge or burn tool for the tag?)

Thank you :)/> Actually neither. I just used made a darkened tag shape in another document and copied/pasted into this one. Then I lowered the opacity down to about 50%.
A magician you are :)/>
Hehe, you know it would be awesome!

Off in the distance an unmanned object appears. You think you see a name, you can't quite make it out; you go closer. As you stumble through the thick brush of the forest you can barely make out the name; Cloudy? The next thing you know there are turtles surrounding you with names such as, Cruor, Lyqyd, Advert, Casper, Dan200, Cranium, and more. The staff seem to have been transormed into turtles with names? ^_^/>
theoriginalbit #20
Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:07 AM
Melee turtles?
SuicidalSTDz #21
Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:10 AM
Melee turtles?
Always :ph34r:/>
SadKingBilly #22
Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:03 AM
I haven't been using turtles enough to fully empathize with the people who want this feature, and I understand what Cloudy means about it being ugly. If you're on a server and everyone has turtles and everyone gives their turtles labels just for the sake of giving them labels, then it would look pretty ugly and confusing. Even the vanilla tags are ugly and confusing when there are enough people around.

I think it would be better if people had to use the anvil to give their turtles tags, because that's slightly more difficult than just a single function call, and people would be less likely to do it just for fun. Or, instead of having the tags float above the turtles, you could have a static one printed on their front side.

By the way, if you disagree with Cloudy about the proposed implementation being ugly, look at this:

i = 1
while i < 100 do
    os.setComputerLabel("S")
    os.sleep(1)
    os.setComputerLabel("U")
    os.sleep(1)
    os.setComputerLabel("C")
    os.sleep(1)
    os.setComputerLabel("K")
    os.sleep(1)
    os.setComputerLabel("I")
    os.sleep(1)
    os.setComputerLabel("T")
    os.sleep(1)
end
I'm sure you get the idea. :P/> We all know someone would exploit the easy-tagging system just to annoy people. It is a good idea, though, even if the logistics are problematic.
Bubba #23
Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:39 AM
-snip-

Well firstly, it is my opinion that this should be a client-side config option - possibly even something you can turn on/off in the Minecraft menu. Secondly, why would rapidly changing tags annoy you? It's no different from text changing on a monitor at a rapid rate. Not to mention the fact that a quick ctrl+t would stop it (unless they have that blocked, in which case you can use a disk drive to stop it).

I can understand your opinion about the anvil, but I still disagree. This change has absolutely no effect on the Minecraft world, and ergo it should not cost anything. It's like computers - once you have crafted them, you don't have to keep adding fuel in order to use their basic functionality.

If you're on a server and everyone has turtles and everyone gives their turtles labels just for the sake of giving them labels, then it would look pretty ugly and confusing.

I believe that everybody labels their turtles so that the turtles keep their fuel and programs upon being destroyed, not just for the sake of doing so. Also, in the picture that I made I purposefully put a bunch of turtles in one area just to show that it would really not be an obtrusive change. Unless you have hundreds of turtles in one place (and wouldn't that be an ugly sight in and of itself?).

Perhaps a solution to this issue would be having some control over the opacity of the tags. That way, you can still see what the turtle is labeled but only if you are looking carefully.
Herû #24
Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:01 AM
Since I often only use one or two turtles, I don't will need it, and it will be frustrating. But I see the point, and hope that if this shall be implemented, we must say yes to have it (for example the function that sets label get an true/false parameter).
Kingdaro #25
Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:53 PM
I'm onboard with this being a client preference/configuration.
SuicidalSTDz #26
Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:01 PM
Could even add an item called 'ComputerCrafter's Glasses' that allows you to see labels above the turtles.. Cloudy may not like it though. I'm still ok with a client-side config option
theoriginalbit #27
Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:13 PM
I actually don't mind this idea. I hate when I have like 10 turtles all side-by-side and I gotta try remember which is which.
PixelToast #28
Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:20 PM
i usually just sort them by pick color >_>
diamond, emerald, sapphire, ruby
SuicidalSTDz #29
Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:23 PM
i usually just sort them by pick color >_>
diamond, emerald, sapphire, ruby
Pick color? I haven't got time to do that!
Cloudy #30
Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:34 PM
Stop with the irrelevant crap.
Jarle212 #31
Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:54 AM
EDIT: IF we get computer hud helmets, maybe you would only be able to see turtle labels whilst wearing it? Just an idea

If the HUD helmet is implemented it should not be too hard to program something that can display names over turtles connected to a server. :D/>