This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Henness's profile picture

Advanced Programs: Orefinder, Tunnel.

Started by Henness, 05 April 2012 - 08:17 AM
Henness #1
Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Home of the Most Downloaded Tunnel Program.

v3.1 New Update! as of 1/17/2014 Currently I have fixed all know bugs except for one.

The OreFinder program is a program written to dig holes in a pattern that allows the turtle to spin a in a circle checking each side with the blocks in its inventory. The pattern the turtle digs in allow the turtle to fine all the ores in the area without returning an enormous amount of cobblestone. This program is faster than a buildcraft quarry and returns the same amount of ores that a quarry does too. The program has session persistence so if for any reason your turtle is interrupted you can continue the program from were it left off, you can also pause the turtle at any time allowing you to refuel, save, exit, or resume.

More Info:
Pictures
This is a top down view of the pattern your turtle will dig. It will dig all the way down to bedrock, returning any ores if finds.

How To Set Up
  1. Create or use a refueled turtle.
  2. Place the turtle were you would like the turtle to start finding ores (note: The turtle will mine forward and to the right)
  3. Download The advanced updater program.
  4. Run the downloaded program.
  5. After all the programs are updated the GUI program should start up automatically.
  6. select Orefinder from the list of programs.
  7. Start a new excavation.
  8. Enter the size of area you would like the turtle to search in.
  9. The ignore setting is the items you are placing in the turtles inventory so that the turtle has something to compare the blocks in the wold with and know what it's supposed to mine. For example if you don't want the turtle to mine dirt, stone, and gravel. Then you would set ignore to 3 because you are ignoring 3 materials.
  10. After you entered the ignore setting, place the materials that you have chosen in the first slots. As an example if you have dirt, stone, and gravel then you would place dirt in the first slot, stone in the seconded slot, and gravel in the third. It doesn't matter in witch order you place them but I would suggest placing dirt in the first slot because the turtle will be placing the first item at the top of each hole so you don't fall in the holes.
  11. Place a chest behind were you placed the turtle, it will return to this spot and dump the items it finds here.
  12. If you don't have any GPS hosts and a wireless turtle then you will have to enter the coordinates manually.
  13. Enter the coordinates of the turtle, they can all be found by pressing F3 in game. The face must be a number from 0-3 also found in the F3 menu.
  14. After entering the coordinates of the turtle make sure DONE is selected and press enter.
If you followed these easy steps then your turtle should now be mining.

Features
  • Item drop off
  • Ignore any number of materials
  • Custom sized area
  • Automatic refuel
  • Session persistence
  • Custom Presets
  • GPS locating
  • Pause/Resume
  • Save & Exit
  • Refueling while Paused
Planed Features
  • Rework of the refuel system - Next update
  • More Interface options
  • Ender chest drop off - Next update
  • Automatic resume - Next update
  • progress info in the interface - Next update
  • rednet access and features
Known Bugs - Fixed Next Update
When the turtle program is exited, opened back up, and resumed from the save file at hand. The Whole excavation area is moved one to four blocks too the left or right depending on what row its on, It also is still able to return to the chest and and empty its inventory even though its excavating the wrong area. But if the computer is rebooted instead then the excavation continues normally.

v1.3.4

Note that this is an old program and needs updated. But does still work.
Advanced Tunnel is my first program and has been downloaded and viewed more than any other Tunnel Program. I'm really glad this program has gotten so much attention and I Thank all of you for that.The program creates a tunnel of a chosen height, width, and length (use 0 for infinite length). The turtle runs flawlessly, with several fail safes like gravel detection when digging up and forward. The turtle will mine the tunnel the most effective way it can, mining 1-3 blocks from the top down. If there are any bugs or suggested features please post a comment here or send me a message. This program is super easy to use.

More Info:
Pictures

Features
  • Custom width, height, and length variables
  • Dig a tunnel with Infinite Length by using "0"
  • Advanced Lighting AI
  • Falling gravel and sand detection
  • Mob and Player detection
  • Progress bar for tunnel completion
Planed Features
  • Complete Code rewrite
  • GPS location movement
  • Session persistence
  • Presets
  • Item drop off
  • Automatic refuel
  • Send commands through rednet
  • Brand new interface
Old Shit[attachment=143:at.txt]
[attachment=215:Advanced Tunnel v1.3.1.txt]
[attachment=754:Advanced OreFinder v1.1.txt]

Advanced Updater
The Advanced Updater is a program I made to automatically download new versions of my programs. Once downloaded it will run my Advanced GUI and you will have access to both my Advanced OreFinder and my Advanced Tunnel all from one interface.

For more information about any of my programs click the buttons above.
For access to my code, head on over to my GitHub.
If you have questions or have found a bug please post them in the comments below.

Download Advanced Updater v1.0
!!!ATTENTION!!! HTTP API MUST BE ENABLED !!!ATTENTION!!!
If HTTP API is not enabled then you must download them manually from my GitHub.

Run:

pastebin get wJCujUs2 ap
In your turtle with HTTP Enabled. To download from pastebin.
Edited on 22 January 2014 - 12:24 AM
Teraminer #2
Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:21 PM
Nice I'l mabe download it..
djblocksaway #3
Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:27 PM
This is awesome you should add photos to your post though so people can see what it does :)/>/>

you can upload free photos at

http://imageshack.us/
EatenAlive3 #4
Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:09 PM
Very nice, well polished. I noticed that at line 824, instead of nil you put nill. It works the same, but still.

Suggestion: Make a progress bar for tunnel completion, similar to this:

{[=========		 ]}
           44%
Henness #5
Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:06 AM
This is awesome you should add photos to your post though so people can see what it does :P/>/>

Thanks, I was in the process of posting some pictures. But I use Imgur.

Very nice, well polished. I noticed that at line 824, instead of nil you put nill. It works the same, but still.

{[=========		 ]}
		   44%
Ya I was already going to add one but wasn't sure what to use for the bar, thanks for the suggestion. Oh and I changed that nill to nil didnt even notice it.

wish I could use extended ASCII characters

|███████████       	 |
	 55%
kreeperkiller97 #6
Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:14 PM
cool, definitely downloading it :P/>/> cheers for this, looks very easy to use and looks like you've put a lot of time and effort in, thanks again :D/>/>
kreeperkiller97 #7
Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:53 PM
if you could do that item drop-off that would be excellent :P/>/>
BlackNavi #8
Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:47 PM
When I type programs I see your program listed but when I type it in it says "no such program". What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
EatenAlive3 #9
Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:42 PM
BlackNavi, try navigating to the folder that the advanced tunnel program is listed in, and run it from that directory.
Henness #10
Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:00 PM
Just got done with v1.2, I will be uploading it later today. After I take some screen shots and update the change log. v1.2 adds a progress bar so you know when the tunnel will be done.
grantboy01 #11
Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:09 PM
Just got done with v1.2, I will be uploading it later today. After I take some screen shots and update the change log. v1.2 adds a progress bar so you know when the tunnel will be done.
what happens when you put in infinite?
Henness #12
Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:04 AM
what happens when you put in infinite?

It Broke it, I'll see what I can do.

FIXED!
louisrocks40 #13
Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:23 PM
Quick question: This may seem a bit obvious, but does it also detect falling sand?
Henness #14
Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:53 PM
Quick question: This may seem a bit obvious, but does it also detect falling sand?

Yes it does the program doesn't know the diffrence between sand and gravel.
swanjr #15
Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:49 AM
Hello, I was using version 1.21 of your tunneler to dig a 4h 5w 50l tunnel and I noticed that the progress bar said 123 percent done when it was finished. I'm assuming the calculation should say 100 percent when finished. Besides that minor item, great script.
Henness #16
Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:28 AM
Hello, I was using version 1.21 of your tunneler to dig a 4h 5w 50l tunnel and I noticed that the progress bar said 123 percent done when it was finished. I'm assuming the calculation should say 100 percent when finished. Besides that minor item, great script.

Thank you, I found the problem. If gravel falls in front of it I will count it in the progress bar. I'll Try and fix that. fixed
LipJ #17
Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:54 PM
This seams like a very stable bit of code. Is it ok if I use it to make a mineshaft generator. (with maping)
Henness #18
Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:37 AM
This seams like a very stable bit of code. Is it ok if I use it to make a mineshaft generator. (with maping)

Kinda what my plan was, I'm just waiting for computercraft to come out for minecraft 1.2.5.
But I guess, go ahead just give credit.
Henness #19
Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:41 AM
I completely re-coded the lighting AI, the program now places torches based on the width and length of the tunnel. I also did a bunch of code optimization, and some bug fixes. Enjoy v1.3!
BigSHinyToys #20
Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:36 PM
in ver : Advanced Tunnel v1.3.txt 22K

[Line 837]	if torches == true
should be
[Line 837]	if torches == true then
Other that that it works great and is a very handy tool. Thank you

[EDIT] [BUG]
any mob in the way of the turtle will cause it to finish the row early and loose position.

[solution]
all functions that make a turtle move return true or false. true if the turtle moved. false if it didnt. working this into your code would allow the turtle to get less confused in its position
[/solution]

Possible suggestions pressing "p" while the turtle is running will pause it while paused dumping the memory to a file so the turtle can reload it on world load.
[/EDIT]
Henness #21
Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:22 AM
in ver : Advanced Tunnel v1.3.txt 22K

[Line 837]	if torches == true
should be
[Line 837]	if torches == true then
Other that that it works great and is a very handy tool. Thank you

[EDIT] [BUG]
any mob in the way of the turtle will cause it to finish the row early and loose position.

[solution]
all functions that make a turtle move return true or false. true if the turtle moved. false if it didnt. working this into your code would allow the turtle to get less confused in its position
[/solution]

Possible suggestions pressing "p" while the turtle is running will pause it while paused dumping the memory to a file so the turtle can reload it on world load.
[/EDIT]

Thank you for the bug fix, and I added player/mob detection. I was gonna add it just wasnt sure how, I cant think of any other way other than what I did. POSTED v1.3.1
Klausar #22
Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:37 AM
Could you add or tell me who to do it that if the turtle finished its job it doesn't go back to the place where it started? Because I want to enlarge my tunnel multiple times.
jay448 #23
Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:26 PM
Is there a way to watch the progress of youre wireless turtle on a computer?
Henness #24
Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:31 PM
Seeing as this is the most downloaded turtle program, what feature would you guys like to see next from me? Also seems like last version is bug free?
lukxx #25
Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:44 PM
Hello dear, Henness

It would be nice to see thouse features on the mod:
<> Is it possible to make it mine the ores on the walls insted of leaving them?
<>When it finds liquids it just ignores them (and make huge mess) why not to make it clear them? (i think it could replace source blocks with cobblestone then mine it).
<>I know its planned but we realy need a item drop off (placing items to the chest would be nice).
<>it could have a refuel system.

P.S. Very nice program you have there :)/>/> (sry for bad english)

Thank you, lukxx.
kazekai #26
Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:40 AM
How do I insert the code into the game? I am really new to this
jaytime104 #27
Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:13 PM
i have a question when i use this program to make a 60L 60w 40h hole in the ground to make my mansion im trying to put my house right on the bedrock. so my question is when i put thouse numbers in y dose the turtle wanna go down and try to mine in the bed rock can u please help me i love the program mob detection is so nice
Henness #28
Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:12 PM
i have a question when i use this program to make a 60L 60w 40h hole in the ground to make my mansion im trying to put my house right on the bedrock. so my question is when i put thouse numbers in y dose the turtle wanna go down and try to mine in the bed rock can u please help me i love the program mob detection is so nice
The turtle thinks it starting in an already dug out room, because it meant to dig a tunnel not a room. If you want it to work dig out 40 blocks above the turtle before you start it. I might change this.
How do I insert the code into the game? I am really new to this
I normally put it in the computercraft turtle folder, although there probably are other ways.
Bushido #29
Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:14 AM
i would love for this to drop off it's inventory in chest. also… YOUR MY HERO! Keep the features/updates coming!!

Also My server gets spamed with a TON of errors.

http://pastebin.com/yjLamhyZ

Edit* i figured it out my block logging plugins doesnt like mining turtles lol.
jaytime104 #30
Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:41 PM
good program
Noodle #31
Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:49 PM
Cool!
I especially love the GUI
Crusader8389 #32
Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:38 AM
Do you mind if I use your code for a branching mining program I plan on writing? Your code seems the best out there at the moment and it'd be nice to have a starting point.
ChillFre4k #33
Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:24 AM
Can you add the option that the turtle need fuel?
Bushido #34
Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:47 AM
Please add drop off at a chest! you will be my hero
Czarified #35
Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:45 AM
This looks perfect! I'll try it out soon. Thanks Henness!
neersighted #36
Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:08 AM
Now that 1.4 is out, could you add a item drop-off point (chest at the starting location?)?
Henness #37
Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:56 PM
Hello, everyone

I would just like to let you know that I have started playing with computercraft again. For a while now tekit hasnt been updated to the latest verstion of minecraft so I havent been playing any minecraft mods. I have been mostly Playing Garry's Mod TTT, Chivalry, Dayz. But when I heard about FTB mod pack I started up my server and my freindes and I have been having a lot of fun with all the mods.

Ok well Back to my point…

I will be releasing a new turtle program within a few days. This program Is a Ore finding program, It digs holes in a pattern that the turtle can detect all the ores in the area. Right now Im just doing some testing to work out all the bugs. The program has auto refuel and item drop off.

Also if you were wondering I will be updating my Advanced tunnel program for automatic drop off and auto refuel. Its just a matter of if I feel like it. I going to be doing a complete makeover of the interface and adding some custom presets. I also might add my new program to The advanced tunnel program and rename it to Advanced Programs. And after I get my programs updated and all polished I will make some videos about them to post of my Youtube.

~Henness
Henness #38
Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:58 PM
I would post my new program but the full editor is broken and I can't upload it to computer craft forums… Hopefully it will be fixed soon. :D/>/>

Also ignore the download I just uploaded it to see if I could copy a download link to my main post.
thesonofdarwin #39
Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:25 AM
I've been using v1.3.1 to clear some rooms and I've noticed it sometimes changes its vertical mining location. I thought it was caused when it encountered an air space above or in front, but after some testing that didn't seem to be the case. Here's an image of a room created by this turtle. The last two rows he decided to shift two deeper. Neither myself or enemies spawned in its way and it had plenty of inventory space. Torch was placed after the fact, so it wasn't that either.

Edit: Nevermind. Set up 6 turtles at the same time and it was just the one doing it. Not sure why though since I added this program directly to the mod .zip, so they were all using the same information… Just shipped that turtle to the lava and all seems fine now.
ChunLing #40
Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:38 PM
…you what? Tell me that you mean you set that turtle to lava mining. Even if that's not what you mean, please tell me it is.
Henness #41
Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:50 PM
I've been using v1.3.1 to clear some rooms and I've noticed it sometimes changes its vertical mining location. I thought it was caused when it encountered an air space above or in front, but after some testing that didn't seem to be the case. Here's an image of a room created by this turtle. The last two rows he decided to shift two deeper. Neither myself or enemies spawned in its way and it had plenty of inventory space. Torch was placed after the fact, so it wasn't that either. Edit: Nevermind. Set up 6 turtles at the same time and it was just the one doing it. Not sure why though since I added this program directly to the mod .zip, so they were all using the same information… Just shipped that turtle to the lava and all seems fine now.

That usually what happens when it hit bedrock but from your picture doesn't look like it could have. The turtle doesn't know if there is water or lava so I don't think that caused it. Idk I'll keep my eye out but I haven't seen any thing like that yet and your the first to see it. I wont write it off as bug. Might have just been the lua lagging? I have know Idea.

…you what? Tell me that you mean you set that turtle to lava mining. Even if that's not what you mean, please tell me it is.

Apparently he tossed and burned the turtle in lava???…
Henness #42
Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:48 AM
Just posted my new program OreFinder. Should be fairly bug free I used it for a few days now with no problems. Hope you guys like it, I'll post some pictures soon.
Peewee #43
Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:10 AM
Works pretty well! The way you figure out whether or not to dig at a certain spot is a little strange; you can just do math.mod(2*z+x, 5) and get the same pattern without the if/then blocks. That has the added benefit of allowing multiple digging sessions to overlap if they all use the same coordinate system.

Speaking of multiple digging sessions, any plans on making it use persistant variables so it can survive server resets or being unloaded?
Henness #44
Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:57 AM
Works pretty well! The way you figure out whether or not to dig at a certain spot is a little strange; you can just do math.mod(2*z+x, 5) and get the same pattern without the if/then blocks. That has the added benefit of allowing multiple digging sessions to overlap if they all use the same coordinate system.

Speaking of multiple digging sessions, any plans on making it use persistant variables so it can survive server resets or being unloaded?

I'll have to have a look at that, yes I want to add persistant variables I just have no idea how.
ChunLing #45
Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:59 PM
save them in a table, textutils.serialize() the table and save that in a file, opposite process on a restart.
Henness #46
Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Wouldn't it have to be math.mod((x+4)-2(z-1), 5)???
Peewee #47
Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:44 PM
Perhaps. I was just letting you know there was an easier way to produce a mineshaft pattern which reveals every block, so I didn't bother adding constants to make it line up perfectly.
DarkriftX #48
Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:06 AM
I do not know what I am missing, but I get an error on line 129 "attempt to assign nil". I have tried with and without items to ignore and cannot get it to mine more than a block with orefinder. If this is not a current bug, can you provide some more details as to how its supposed to be used incase I am doing it wrong?
Henness #49
Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:13 AM
I do not know what I am missing, but I get an error on line 129 "attempt to assign nil". I have tried with and without items to ignore and cannot get it to mine more than a block with orefinder. If this is not a current bug, can you provide some more details as to how its supposed to be used incase I am doing it wrong?

Can you tell me what parameters you are typing in? Also When I run it I put dirt in slot 1, gravel in slot 2, and stone in slot 3. Then sense I don't want it to mine 3 different materials you enter "3" for the last question.
DarkriftX #50
Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:00 AM
I probably tried all params. I tried all even numbers, all odds, longer ones, shorter. I even tried for example putting 3 blocks (dirt gravel cobble) and leaving skip blank (0), entering 3, entering 2, entering 4, you name it. I have tried all possible combos. I even re-downloaded the script and used notepad++ to make sure the code looked properly formatted (notepad itself messes up the ln/br's).
Henness #51
Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:47 AM
I probably tried all params. I tried all even numbers, all odds, longer ones, shorter. I even tried for example putting 3 blocks (dirt gravel cobble) and leaving skip blank (0), entering 3, entering 2, entering 4, you name it. I have tried all possible combos. I even re-downloaded the script and used notepad++ to make sure the code looked properly formatted (notepad itself messes up the ln/br's).

I started looking at the code and it turns out that on line 129 there was a typo, I don't know why it was working for some people and not you but I fixed it and uploaded a new version. Thanks for letting me know that you were having problems.
DarkriftX #52
Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:16 AM
I fixed your typo in my version because I had already attempted some edits. I want the turtle to return back when its done and drop its load instead of just sitting at the end for me to have to chase down. I almost have it but it returns a row off (I do 1 for the width with multiple bots running in parallel). I havent finished it (need to tell it to not go back to returnX once its done) but I need to figure out why it is is off a row. Figured that instead of bashing my head against a wall on a language I do not know yet, maybe you might be interested in adding this feature. Also, I was thinking it might be handy to have the bot cover the copy of its hole in with a single cobble when it gets back to the top to make the area semi safe.

What my turtle does is ([X] = chest):

<drop stuff————————————————-
[X]>dig—-dig—-dig—-dig—-dig—-dig—-dig—-dig–^

***EDIT*** I fixed the above problem.

Now I am trying to figure out how you are telling it how many blocks to skip before it digs down. For example I would like it to dig down, then move on 2 blocks dig down, etc. Currently it moves 5 blocks between digs. Could you help point me in the correct location (or add this as an option in the beginning)?

-- Advanced Ore Finder by Henness
-- Version 1.0 11/21/2012

-- Config
Version = "v1.0"
local Width
local Length
local Depth
local Ignore

function version() -- Version function
return Version
end

function regwrite(string, columnVar, rowVar) -- Write a string to the cords
term.setCursorPos( columnVar, rowVar )
write (string)
end

function clearscreen() -- Clearscreen function
term.clear()
regwrite( "AP Ore Finder", 15, 1 )
regwrite( version(), 2, 13 )
regwrite( "Designed by Henness", 20, 13 )
term.setCursorPos( 1, 3 )
end

function refuel(stop) -- Refuels the turtle
returnXF = (Width - x) * 2
if math.fmod( VarX , 2 ) == 0 then
returnYF = (Length - (Length - y) - 1) * 2
else
returnYF = (Length - y) * 2
end
if turtle.getFuelLevel() < ((Depth * 2) + returnXF + returnYF + 5) and turtle.getItemCount(16) > 1 then
turtle.select(16)
turtle.refuel(turtle.getItemCount(16) - 1)
end
if stop == true then
turtle.select(16)
repeat
turtle.refuel(turtle.getItemCount(16) - 1)
sleep(0.1)
until turtle.getFuelLevel() > ((Depth * 2) + returnXF + returnYF + 5)
end
if turtle.getFuelLevel() < ((Depth * 2) + returnXF + returnYF + 5) and stop ~= true then
returnToStart(true)
end
end

function empty() -- Emptys the turtles inventory
if turtle.getItemCount(15) > 0 then
returnToStart()
end
end

function returnToStart(stop) -- Returns to start
returnX = Width - x
returnY = Length - (Length - y) - 1
turnRight()
else
returnY = Length - y
turnLeft()
end
moveForward(returnX)
turnLeft()
moveForward(returnY)
if stop == true then
clearscreen()
print("Too low on fuel to continue. Please insert more fuel.")
refuel(true)
end
for i=Ignore+1,15,1 do
turtle.select(i)
turtle.drop()
end
turnLeft(2)
moveForward(returnY)
turnRight()
moveForward(returnX)
turnRight()
else
turnLeft()
end
end

function moveUp(distance) -- Moves Up
if distance == nil then
distance = 1
end
for i=1,distance,1 do
repeat
if turtle.up() == true then
moved = true
else
digUp()
turtle.attackUp()
moved = false
end
until moved == true
end
end

function moveForward(distance) -- Moves Forward
if distance == nil then
distance = 1
end
for i=1,distance,1 do
repeat
if turtle.forward() == true then
moved = true
else
digForward()
turtle.attack()
moved = false
end
until moved == true
end
end

function moveDown(distance) -- Moves Down
if distance == nil then
distance = 1
end
for i=1,distance,1 do
repeat
if turtle.down() == true then
moved = true
else
digDown()
turtle.attackDown()
moved = false
end
until moved == true
end
end

function turnLeft(a) -- Turns Left
if not a then a = 1 end
for i=1,math.abs(a),1 do
turtle.turnLeft()
end
return true
end

function turnRight(a) -- Turns Right
if not a then a = 1 end
for i=1,math.abs(a),1 do
turtle.turnRight()
end
return true
end

function digForward(Compare) -- Digs Forward
if turtle.detect() then
if Compare then
SlotVar = Ignore
Ore = true
for i=1,SlotVar,1 do
turtle.select(i)
if turtle.compare() == true then
Ore = false
end 
end
if Ore == true then
turtle.dig()
end
else
turtle.dig()
end
end
end

function digDown(Compare) -- Digs Down
if turtle.detectDown() then
if Compare then
SlotVar = Ignore
Ore = true
for i=1,SlotVar,1 do
turtle.select(i)
if turtle.compareDown() == true then
Ore = false
end 
end
if Ore == true then
turtle.digDown()
end
else
turtle.digDown()
end
end
end

function digUp(Compare) -- Digs Down
if turtle.detectUp() then
if Compare then
SlotVar = Ignore
Ore = true
for i=1,SlotVar,1 do
turtle.select(i)
if turtle.compareUp() == true then
Ore = false
end 
end
if Ore == true then
turtle.digUp()
end
else
turtle.digUp()
end
end
end

function compareSides(n) -- Compares surounding blocks with items in the inventory
for i=1,n,1 do
digForward(true)
turnRight()
end
end

function findDown(z) -- Finds all ores bellow the turtle
refuel()
empty()
for i=1,z,1 do
digDown(true)
if turtle.detectDown() then
digDown(false)
end
moveDown()
compareSides(4)
end
for i=1,z,1 do
moveUp()
end
end

function runFinder( W , L , D )
VarY = 5
VarX = 1

x = W
y = L
while x > 0 do
y = L
while VarY <= 5 and y > 1 do
if VarY == 5 then
findDown(D)
VarY = 0
end
digForward(true)
if turtle.detect() then
digForward(false)
end
moveForward()
VarY = VarY + 1
y = y - 1
end
if VarY == 5 then
findDown(D)
VarY = 0
end
if x > 1 then
turnLeft()
digForward(true)
if turtle.detect() then
digForward(false)
end
moveForward()
turnLeft()
if VarY == 0 then
VarY = 3
elseif VarY == 1 then
VarY = 2
elseif VarY == 2 then
VarY = 1
elseif VarY == 3 then
VarY = 5
elseif VarY == 4 then
VarY = 4
end
else
turnRight()
digForward(true)
if turtle.detect() then
digForward(false)
end
moveForward()
turnRight()
if VarY == 0 then
VarY = 2
elseif VarY == 1 then
VarY = 1
elseif VarY == 2 then
VarY = 5
elseif VarY == 3 then
VarY = 4
elseif VarY == 4 then
VarY = 3
end
end
VarX = VarX + 1
end
x = x - 1
end
end
function emptyinv()
for i=Ignore+1,15,1 do
turtle.select(i)
turtle.drop()
end
end

function finished() -- Returns to start
if Width == 1 then
returnX = 0
else
returnX = Width - x
end
returnY = Length - (Length - y) - 1
turnRight()
else
returnY = Length - y
turnLeft()
end
moveForward(returnX)
turnLeft()
moveForward(returnY)
print("Clearing Inventory.")
for i=1,16,1 do
turtle.select(i)
turtle.drop()
end
end

-- RUN
clearscreen()
print("Width of Area?")
Width = tonumber(read())

clearscreen()
print("Length of Area?")
Length = tonumber(read())

clearscreen()
print("Depth of Holes?")
Depth = tonumber(read())

clearscreen()
print("How many materials will be Ignored?")
Ignore = tonumber(read())

clearscreen()
print("Finding Ore...")
runFinder( Width , Length , Depth )
print("All done, returning home.")
finished()
turnLeft()
turnLeft()
print("Run complete.")
DarkriftX #53
Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:04 AM
Also, one more thing I noticed is that when it is at its home level and it is digging towards the next hole it ignores ores right above it. Would it cost all that much more time to have it digForward() then digUp() then moveForward()? I heard someone say that every check or action adds quite a bit of time to the process but I dont know the language nor the implementation very well.
ChunLing #54
Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:37 AM
It doesn't add a huge amount of time but it is noticeable.
vafo #55
Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:29 AM
The advanced ores program is awesome, if not with some quirks. I had it stopping by hitting gravel when coming back to the first row…not sure why.

What I wanted to ask is, would it be too hard to have it come back and unload when it ends the execution? kinda hard to go grab it at the opposite end of the start.
DarkriftX #56
Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:32 PM
If you look above, the code I posted does that. I just added a few lines of code to the original.
Henness #57
Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:47 PM
Also, one more thing I noticed is that when it is at its home level and it is digging towards the next hole it ignores ores right above it. Would it cost all that much more time to have it digForward() then digUp() then moveForward()? I heard someone say that every check or action adds quite a bit of time to the process but I dont know the language nor the implementation very well.
The advanced ores program is awesome, if not with some quirks. I had it stopping by hitting gravel when coming back to the first row…not sure why.

What I wanted to ask is, would it be too hard to have it come back and unload when it ends the execution? kinda hard to go grab it at the opposite end of the start.

I have been completely rewriting the orefinder program because when I wrote it I kinda just through it together, I'm basing the new version off of gps cords so its easier to get the turtle to go places. I'm also adding a really nice gui and making it so you can pause the program at any time and even continue your program after server restarts. So with the new one I'll make the turtle return. I could also make it mine ores on the ceiling.
bigsushi #58
Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:28 AM
I must be doing something wrong. Every time I try and start the Advanced Tunneling program it accepts the dimensions of the tunnel and the yes/no for torches but when it starts, it only mines the one block in front of it and then doesn't do anything. The status shows 0% when clicked on. I figure this must be user error but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help.
DarkriftX #59
Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:32 AM
Awesome Henness. I will wait for your version then instead of screwing around with it much more. Do you think that you might also make the gap between holes variable? I thought I figured out how to change it from 5 to 3 but when I did that the turtle started mining in random directions and kicking my ass lol
Henness #60
Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:03 AM
I must be doing something wrong. Every time I try and start the Advanced Tunneling program it accepts the dimensions of the tunnel and the yes/no for torches but when it starts, it only mines the one block in front of it and then doesn't do anything. The status shows 0% when clicked on. I figure this must be user error but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like you need the refuel the turtle before you start the program, that program was made a while ago so it doesn't drop of items and it doesn't refuel while the program runs.

Awesome Henness. I will wait for your version then instead of screwing around with it much more. Do you think that you might also make the gap between holes variable? I thought I figured out how to change it from 5 to 3 but when I did that the turtle started mining in random directions and kicking my ass lol

I don't think I'm gonna add that, the reason it digs in that pattern is because the pattern allows the turtle to check all of the blocks in the area with very minimal digging. There shouldn't be any point to making it dig every 3 blocks, it would just end up checking some blocks more than once. Is there a reason you want it to do that?
DarkriftX #61
Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:58 PM
Yours currently has it digging like this:

X - - - - X - - - - X - - - -

but the problem is there are 2 rows in the middle that are getting ignored (the turtle cannot see them as indicated by red below):

X - - - -X - - - -X - - - -

If you did:

X - - X - - X - - X - - X - -

Then it can see every row and will never miss ores. Yes, it will take longer but I would rather it be more thorough than miss half of the ores in that area.
Henness #62
Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:46 PM
Yours currently has it digging like this:

X - - - - X - - - - X - - - -

but the problem is there are 2 rows in the middle that are getting ignored (the turtle cannot see them as indicated by red below):

X - - - -X - - - -X - - - -

If you did:

X - - X - - X - - X - - X - -

Then it can see every row and will never miss ores. Yes, it will take longer but I would rather it be more thorough than miss half of the ores in that area.

Here I'll explain it with a picture

x++++x++++x++++x
++x++++x++++x+++
++++x++++x++++x+
+x++++x++++x++++
+++x++++x++++x++
x++++x++++x++++x

basically the turtle doesn't just check in front of it and behind it, it also checks to the left and right.
DarkriftX #63
Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:16 AM
I see. So while there are spots that are missed, if you do a large enough area, they are less noticable as they are only on the outside of the square you search. I guess that makes my single width row problematic and I should go back to squares.

I was doing it that way to speed up the process as a 20x20 square took forever from level 20-5 (15 blocks deep shafts) with a single turtle.
Henness #64
Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:41 AM
I see. So while there are spots that are missed, if you do a large enough area, they are less noticable as they are only on the outside of the square you search. I guess that makes my single width row problematic and I should go back to squares.

I was doing it that way to speed up the process as a 20x20 square took forever from level 20-5 (15 blocks deep shafts) with a single turtle.

With the new version I am working on the turtle digs holes based on its cords so you will be able to do one wide ones right next to each other and the turtle wont dig the same pattern as the last row.
vafo #65
Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:47 PM
Well what can I say? bring it on! awesome work henness :)/>
DarkriftX #66
Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:28 PM
Im just glad I found a decent program that is still being worked on. Most of the good ones I find have no updates and while I can figure out the easy stuff from my knowledge of other languages, Im glad this one is still getting improved. I ran it while I slept on a 25x25 area and it worked great (minus a bug that I introduced that makes it quit one row over lol).

I wish they had made these computers visually aware. If they could see 3-5 spaces ahead of them that would be awesome for mining, and for "bodyguard" bots. Sucks that they are blind and have to "feel" the block next to them to Id it.
Henness #67
Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:25 PM
Im just glad I found a decent program that is still being worked on. Most of the good ones I find have no updates and while I can figure out the easy stuff from my knowledge of other languages, Im glad this one is still getting improved. I ran it while I slept on a 25x25 area and it worked great (minus a bug that I introduced that makes it quit one row over lol).

I wish they had made these computers visually aware. If they could see 3-5 spaces ahead of them that would be awesome for mining, and for "bodyguard" bots. Sucks that they are blind and have to "feel" the block next to them to Id it.

Dan should add advanced turtles that can see farther, have color, and mouse control. Maybe even be able to detect what data value the block has.
vafo #68
Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:29 AM
If you look above, the code I posted does that. I just added a few lines of code to the original.
Tried your version, seems to be working fine when it comes to coming back to the start on finish.

The idea of covering the hole with a single cobblestone is also great!
motel6man #69
Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:08 PM
pretty new to the turtles but i installed this script and i see advanced tunnel v1.3.1.txt on my program list but im not sure how to start it ive tried what it shows on the list ive tried just advanced tunnel but nothing works.

edit: fixed by renaming it to AT.txt
DarkriftX #70
Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:01 PM
Found another bug. Refueling. When the turtle waits at the start point for fuel it uses all but 1 of the fuel that you give it.I have seen this happen 5+ times but I finally got a chance to see it when I was expecting it.

Scenario:
Turtle is waiting at chest asking for fuel. Turtle has 2 fuel left. Right click on turtle and drop half stack of coal (32) onto the 2 pieces it has.

Expected result:
Fuel goes down from 34 to 33

Actual result:
Fuel goes down to 1 (actually, what looks like it happens is fuel goes to 0, then jumps to 1 real fast)
Henness #71
Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:46 PM
Found another bug. Refueling. When the turtle waits at the start point for fuel it uses all but 1 of the fuel that you give it.I have seen this happen 5+ times but I finally got a chance to see it when I was expecting it.

Scenario:
Turtle is waiting at chest asking for fuel. Turtle has 2 fuel left. Right click on turtle and drop half stack of coal (32) onto the 2 pieces it has.

Expected result:
Fuel goes down from 34 to 33

Actual result:
Fuel goes down to 1 (actually, what looks like it happens is fuel goes to 0, then jumps to 1 real fast)

I wrote it so the turtle consumes all the fuel but one, so when its mining it picks up coal in that slot and automatically uses it for fuel without asking you. But for some reason when coal is dug up it never gets stacked with slot 16. I'm still trying to find a better way of doing the refuel process. :(/>
DarkriftX #72
Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:10 AM
The way I would do it is make the fuel slot #1 and make your skip items go after that. It would require very little change to your ignore items loop, and being first would make the coal stack (I am 80% sure it stacks when its the first item). I would however prefer that the bots themselves had a separate fuel slot like any other item in the game that requires fuel.
DarkriftX #73
Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:13 AM
Btw, if you give it 30 coal, and it consumes 29, but only has 3 more holes to dig, does that mean that you lose ~28 coal or does it give them back? I didnt see anything like that in the code.
Cravin #74
Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:05 PM
Hey Hennes, since I'm working on a similar mining approach like you, I've run into a similar problem with the refueling process. I have set it up like this: slot 1-3 are ignore slots, with dirt, gravel and smoothstone. Slot 16 is fuel. Once the turtle goes to the dropoff point, it iterates over slots 4-15 and tries to transfer them to slot 16 with turtle.transfer(targetSlot,amount) before dropping them off into a chest.
It helps to know how the turtle choses the slot to put items in. Basically, it tries to put it into the first empty or fitting slot, starting at the currently selected one.
Henness #75
Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:42 PM
The way I would do it is make the fuel slot #1 and make your skip items go after that. It would require very little change to your ignore items loop, and being first would make the coal stack (I am 80% sure it stacks when its the first item). I would however prefer that the bots themselves had a separate fuel slot like any other item in the game that requires fuel.

That's what I'm doing on the version I working on now, I hope it works.

Btw, if you give it 30 coal, and it consumes 29, but only has 3 more holes to dig, does that mean that you lose ~28 coal or does it give them back? I didnt see anything like that in the code.

If you label your turtle it wont ever loose its fuel, it will just use it the next time you run a program.

Hey Hennes, since I'm working on a similar mining approach like you, I've run into a similar problem with the refueling process. I have set it up like this: slot 1-3 are ignore slots, with dirt, gravel and smoothstone. Slot 16 is fuel. Once the turtle goes to the dropoff point, it iterates over slots 4-15 and tries to transfer them to slot 16 with turtle.transfer(targetSlot,amount) before dropping them off into a chest.
It helps to know how the turtle choses the slot to put items in. Basically, it tries to put it into the first empty or fitting slot, starting at the currently selected one.

Thats a good idea, I'm gonna keep thinking of a good way of doing it.
DarkriftX #76
Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:35 PM
Awesome. For the last few days I was worried you were losing interest since we hadnt heard from you as much.
Henness #77
Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:59 PM
Getting close on my new orefinder version I also made an updater so every time you run my program it will check for a newer version.
vafo #78
Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:22 AM
yay!
Henness #79
Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:25 PM
I added my new program Advanced Updater, If you enable HTTP and run that past bin command it will download it all you have to do is run the program. Please post any bugs you find.
DarkriftX #80
Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:53 AM
I had an idea but havent dug far enough into the capabilities to know if it will work. I was thinking that you could "teach" the bot what blocks are. This would require the bot to be able to look at a block and see the item ID (possible?). If so, then you could run a command to have it look at some blocks and store those in a list of always ignore blocks. This would allow you to have it ignore more blocks without taking up inventory slots and also make startup faster as you wouldnt have to give it blocks each time.

I was also thinking about a function that it could run before it goes to drop off stuff. If the bot is set to ignore cobble and gravel, it wont dig it unless it has to, but it will still fill up with these. When the bot realizes that it is full, it could start a function that would scan (for example) slots 5-16 to see if any of them contain the items in 1-4 (ignore slots). Then it could find any dirt/cobble/gravel/smoothstone in its inventory and drop them in a hole. This would allow it to go a lot farther before having to unload.
Henness #81
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:31 AM
I had an idea but havent dug far enough into the capabilities to know if it will work. I was thinking that you could "teach" the bot what blocks are. This would require the bot to be able to look at a block and see the item ID (possible?). If so, then you could run a command to have it look at some blocks and store those in a list of always ignore blocks. This would allow you to have it ignore more blocks without taking up inventory slots and also make startup faster as you wouldnt have to give it blocks each time.

I was also thinking about a function that it could run before it goes to drop off stuff. If the bot is set to ignore cobble and gravel, it wont dig it unless it has to, but it will still fill up with these. When the bot realizes that it is full, it could start a function that would scan (for example) slots 5-16 to see if any of them contain the items in 1-4 (ignore slots). Then it could find any dirt/cobble/gravel/smoothstone in its inventory and drop them in a hole. This would allow it to go a lot farther before having to unload.

No that wouldn't be possible, the turtles only way of detecting what blocks are witch is with turtle.compare() and that only returns true or false. So you get pretty limited when it comes to detecting. I could add a drop items option.
sjkeegs #82
Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:24 AM
I added my new program Advanced Updater, If you enable HTTP and run that past bin command it will download it all you have to do is run the program. Please post any bugs you find.

This doesn't seem to be working for me.

It updated all the apps from the updater, and when I run the orefinder it will dig forward once, back up to it's starting position, and turn twice so that it was facing the other direction. I specified a 10x10 with 3 ignore blocks (stone, gravel, dirt).

I initially started out with a non-wireless turtle, and upgraded to a wireless mining turtle. As far as I could tell it was doing the same thing without the wireless module and typing in coordinates.

Edit: I realized that I'm running v1.46 on 1.4.2. Is there something in the latest version that this app is using?

Edit2: I didn't notice that the slots where blocks/items go had changed - this started working for me, but it seems to stall after awhile, and the turtle will just stop and go back to the GUI menu - It's deleted the ofsave file, and I wasn't able to detect what caused it to abort yet.
Edited on 19 December 2012 - 01:21 PM
jisco #83
Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:27 AM
Can someone explain to me what i should write when it askes for…face? Im trying to start up Advanced ore finder, i write XYZ coordinates but when face show up i have no idea what to write!
sjkeegs #84
Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:57 AM
Can someone explain to me what i should write when it askes for…face? Im trying to start up Advanced ore finder, i write XYZ coordinates but when face show up i have no idea what to write!

if you pull up the F3 screen and look at the facing it will show you north-south-east-west along with a number 0-3 that represents that direction. The code is looking for the number (as far as I can tell).
vafo #85
Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:48 PM
uh.
In the new version, does the gps capability mean we have to build gps towers around?
(If we want to avoid inserting coordinates that is)
Henness #86
Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

It updated all the apps from the updater, and when I run the orefinder it will dig forward once, back up to it's starting position, and turn twice so that it was facing the other direction. I specified a 10x10 with 3 ignore blocks (stone, gravel, dirt).

I initially started out with a non-wireless turtle, and upgraded to a wireless mining turtle. As far as I could tell it was doing the same thing without the wireless module and typing in coordinates.

Edit: I realized that I'm running v1.46 on 1.4.2. Is there something in the latest version that this app is using?

Edit2: I didn't notice that the slots where blocks/items go had changed - this started working for me, but it seems to stall after awhile, and the turtle will just stop and go back to the GUI menu - It's deleted the ofsave file, and I wasn't able to detect what caused it to abort yet.

If its deleting the ofsave file then that should mean that it is done but I'll keep an eye out, if you run it with "advancedorefinder <width> <length> <ignore>" and to continue use "advancedorefinder" this will show you if there is an error. and not print the gui over the the error.

if you pull up the F3 screen and look at the facing it will show you north-south-east-west along with a number 0-3 that represents that direction. The code is looking for the number (as far as I can tell).

Yes that's exactly what its asking for, I'll make a tutorial for using it.

uh.
In the new version, does the gps capability mean we have to build gps towers around?

Yes if you don't want to have to type the cords in then you have to set up some gps hosts. It's defiantly worth it, the continue feature is super useful.
jwplayer0 #87
Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

If its deleting the ofsave file then that should mean that it is done but I'll keep an eye out, if you run it with "advancedorefinder <width> <length> <ignore>" and to continue use "advancedorefinder" this will show you if there is an error. and not print the gui over the the error.

Im getting an error from the same problem after running it with advancedorefinder, the error is:

advancedorefinder:14: attempt to perform arithmetic __div on nil and number
Henness #88
Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:50 PM
I think i fixed it, I never called the size of the screen so it thought the screen width was nil. no need for re downloading just run the updater and it should download the new version of orefinder.
sjkeegs #89
Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

My problems are related to the GPS coordinates. I used the GPS app posted by BigShinyToys in the GPS tutorial - http://www.computerc...dpost__p__28333 and it's reporting z as the height, and x/y as the map coordiantes. So anything in your app that is looking at y as the height coordinate is going to get messed up. For example my y value gets decremented down to 1 and falls into an infinite loop when digging down.

I'm not sure if this is just a function of how the tutorial GPS app sets up the GPS, or if the GPS reporting works that way normally.

Edit: This is a function of how the GPS is set up in that applicaton. The height value is being put into the z coordinate.
Edited on 20 December 2012 - 05:13 AM
emtffkev #90
Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:22 AM
Just as an FYI, when running AP, the word Advanced is spelled wrong in the scrolling intro.
Henness #91
Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:51 AM
My problems are related to the GPS coordinates. I used the GPS app posted by BigShinyToys in the GPS tutorial - http://www.computerc...dpost__p__28333 and it's reporting z as the height, and x/y as the map coordiantes. So anything in your app that is looking at y as the height coordinate is going to get messed up. For example my y value gets decremented down to 1 and falls into an infinite loop when digging down.

I'm not sure if this is just a function of how the tutorial GPS app sets up the GPS, or if the GPS reporting works that way normally.

Edit: This is a function of how the GPS is set up in that applicaton. The height value is being put into the z coordinate.

Gps host isn't his program its an default api in computercraft, in his tutorial he uses a stupid cord system different from minecrafts. All you have to do is set the hosts to x,y,z with y being height, the api doesn't care witch is witch. I have no idea why he did that it just confuses people. Also I would suggest spreading out the hosts a little more because with them that close together they have a tendency to get the cords wrong and endup messing up the program.

Just as an FYI, when running AP, the word Advanced is spelled wrong in the scrolling intro.

ROFL, Thanks never would have noticed easy fix though.
vafo #92
Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yes that's exactly what its asking for, I'll make a tutorial for using it.

uh.

Yes if you don't want to have to type the cords in then you have to set up some gps hosts. It's defiantly worth it, the continue feature is super useful.
However, I wont be able to combine a chunkloader and a wireless modem on a turtle, right? =/
Henness #93
Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:26 PM
However, I wont be able to combine a chunkloader and a wireless modem on a turtle, right? =/

Chunk loader, on a turtle?
sjkeegs #94
Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Gps host isn't his program its an default api in computercraft, in his tutorial he uses a stupid cord system different from minecrafts. All you have to do is set the hosts to x,y,z with y being height, the api doesn't care witch is witch. I have no idea why he did that it just confuses people. Also I would suggest spreading out the hosts a little more because with them that close together they have a tendency to get the cords wrong and endup messing up the program.

I figured that was the case - I had gone up there and re-configured the GPS host computers to adjust their coordinates to the F3 values. I seem to be getting correct values from the GPS now. How far apart should they be? I've seen conflicting notes on the setup.

In addition I'm still having issues with the Miner. I still have turtles aborting their mining operation. I've been putting debug statements in and it appears that each time they abort it is in the middle of the ore searching rotation. It doesn't appear to exit cleanly when it aborts as some of the later debug statements don't get printed before it falls back to the GUI.
ThunderZ8olt #95
Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:54 PM
I dont get how to download the program through the http api. What exactly do I type into the turtle? I'm still fairly new to them. Thanks for the help and your program looks awesome!

Alright I figured that out, but now I cant get the ore finder to work, it just spins a different direction and doesnt move
sjkeegs #96
Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:15 PM
I dont get how to download the program through the http api. What exactly do I type into the turtle? I'm still fairly new to them. Thanks for the help and your program looks awesome!

First you need to make sure the http is enabled. Look for the computercraft.cfg file in the .minecraft\config directory. In that file look for the enableapi_http option and set it to true instead of false.

Once you've done that you should be able to type the pastebin command noted in the first post and it should download the updater. (note you will have to type the text as written since the link takes you to the github page). This is easier than the second option.

If you just want to copy the raw program you can copy the raw data from the github page and transfer it into your turtle. Place down a new turtle. Name it using "label set myname". This makes it easier to find a particular turtle (they don't stack anymore) and it prevents the turtle from losing its fuel and programs when you pick it up. Under your saved world there should be a "computer" directory which contains all the data about the different turtles, computers, and disks. Find the one you just created and copy the program text into a file in that directory.

Once you've done either of the above two steps, you can start up MC and type "list" in the turtle. You should see the file there. Now just run it and it should download/update the GUI, miner and tunnel programs.
ThunderZ8olt #97
Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

First you need to make sure the http is enabled. Look for the computercraft.cfg file in the .minecraft\config directory. In that file look for the enableapi_http option and set it to true instead of false.

Once you've done that you should be able to type the pastebin command noted in the first post and it should download the updater. (note you will have to type the text as written since the link takes you to the github page). This is easier than the second option.

If you just want to copy the raw program you can copy the raw data from the github page and transfer it into your turtle. Place down a new turtle. Name it using "label set myname". This makes it easier to find a particular turtle (they don't stack anymore) and it prevents the turtle from losing its fuel and programs when you pick it up. Under your saved world there should be a "computer" directory which contains all the data about the different turtles, computers, and disks. Find the one you just created and copy the program text into a file in that directory.

Once you've done either of the above two steps, you can start up MC and type "list" in the turtle. You should see the file there. Now just run it and it should download/update the GUI, miner and tunnel programs.

Thanks I was able to get that working but now cant seem to get the ore finder program to work. I typed everything in and my turtle doesnt do anything. It just says "hit spacebar at any time to pause"
Henness #98
Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:32 PM
Thanks I was able to get that working but now cant seem to get the ore finder program to work. I typed everything in and my turtle doesnt do anything. It just says "hit spacebar at any time to pause"

Almost sounds like you don't have any fuel in the turtle.
vafo #99
Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Chunk loader, on a turtle?
Railcraft :x
dannyp75 #100
Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:19 AM
first time post from a cc noob,

can you confirm the mining pattern in advancedorefinder. I have entered the coords with ignore=0 at level 11. I have placed a chest adjacent to the start point and done the following:

item slot 1: 10 coal
2: stack of cobble

i want it to ignore the following, so:

item slot 3: 1 dirt
item slot 4: 1 gravel
item slot 5: 1 cobble

when i have run the command, ti will dig down to bedrock and cover the area prescribed by width and length. i'm guessing it's meant to do that anyway, but it still mines the dirt and gravel and places it my chest. is it supposed to do that, given that i have asked it to ignore it?

please advise.

i'm trying to learn lua, and goign through your code helps, but it's all quite overwhelming, hope i can write something half as good as this one day,
vafo #101
Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

can you confirm the mining pattern in advancedorefinder. I have entered the coords with ignore=0 at level 11. I have placed a chest adjacent to the start point and done the following:

when i have run the command, ti will dig down to bedrock and cover the area prescribed by width and length. i'm guessing it's meant to do that anyway, but it still mines the dirt and gravel and places it my chest. is it supposed to do that, given that i have asked it to ignore it?

please advise.

i'm trying to learn lua, and goign through your code helps, but it's all quite overwhelming, hope i can write something half as good as this one day,
you're supposed to ignore= number of materials you are putting on ignore, in your case, ignore = 3

other than that you seem to be doing it right!

good luck!
dannyp75 #102
Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

please advise.

you're supposed to ignore= number of materials you are putting on ignore, in your case, ignore = 3

other than that you seem to be doing it right!

good luck!

thanks for your help.
ThunderZ8olt #103
Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:02 PM
I got it working :)/>
jisco #104
Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:35 AM
i need you help again. I've managed to understand all that you need to input, what i dont undetstand is when i press yes on new excavation it pops me back right to the menu where you select (Continue,new,preset #1 ) and so on..do you know whats wrong? It dosn't give me any error what so ever.. cant see whats the problem
Doyle3694 #105
Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:29 AM
@Henness , I think many both beginners and pros will look at your programs, and since they are quite popular, what about putting some comments there so ppl wil understand your code better? ;)/>
Comments will help yourself too, when you after 3 months don't remember what each part of the code does.
Henness #106
Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:46 AM
thanks for your help.

I would also use stone rather than cobble stone.

i need you help again. I've managed to understand all that you need to input, what i dont undetstand is when i press yes on new excavation it pops me back right to the menu where you select (Continue,new,preset #1 ) and so on..do you know whats wrong? It dosn't give me any error what so ever.. cant see whats the problem

Does the orefinder program even popup for a seconded, and does the turtle turn or anything? Try starting a new one by running "advancedorefinder <width> <length> <ignore>" and see if there is an error. I have to figure out how to add errors to a file or something.

@Henness , I think many both beginners and pros will look at your programs, and since they are quite popular, what about putting some comments there so ppl wil understand your code better? ;)/>
Comments will help yourself too, when you after 3 months don't remember what each part of the code does.

Yep I can do that.
blanq820 #107
Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:55 PM
I'm having a slight problem with the program. After the turtle digs a few shafts (varies from 2-5 so far) it looks like it pauses on its own. there is still both coal and my filler material in it. how do you unpause it?

EDIT: if i just run orefinder without arguments and put in the same coordinates as before, it says continuing from previous excavation, but the turtle shifts the shaft over 1 block (im assuming the "unpause" point is being considered the new start point).
Budman17r #108
Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:44 AM
Got the same error as

ran it as advancedorefinder 10 10 1

advancedorefinder:531: attempt to compare __le on nil and number
Budman17r #109
Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:17 AM
my gps sucked it works now
Henness #110
Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:11 PM
I added a missing function to orefinder it might not have been noticed because it was just using the same function from the gui.
caitlyn #111
Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:24 PM
I am unsure what I'm doing wrong, but when I try to run the orefinder it just goes a few blocks and stops. It doesn't always go the same pattern, but the same general idea. I'm not using GPS so I manually enter to coords. One the excavation starts, it moves a few blocks, mines a few things, spins a bit, then stops. Not in that order or consistent to a pattern, and no messages produced. When I select continue, it tells me there is no save file.

I enter 16 16 with ignores of 1 or 0. Most of the times I entered the right coords, a few of them I just entered 0s for all but the height.

I just tried again with an accurate GPS setup, but same results. I thought maybe the lack of gps was teh cause, but it's not.
Henness #112
Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:30 PM
I am unsure what I'm doing wrong, but when I try to run the orefinder it just goes a few blocks and stops. It doesn't always go the same pattern, but the same general idea. I'm not using GPS so I manually enter to coords. One the excavation starts, it moves a few blocks, mines a few things, spins a bit, then stops. Not in that order or consistent to a pattern, and no messages produced. When I select continue, it tells me there is no save file.

I enter 16 16 with ignores of 1 or 0. Most of the times I entered the right coords, a few of them I just entered 0s for all but the height.

I just tried again with an accurate GPS setup, but same results. I thought maybe the lack of gps was teh cause, but it's not.

Your not the first one to say that it does this but I have no idea why some people get this becasue no matter how much I use it with or without gps it never messes up and continue works just fine, are you placing a piece of coal in slot one and a stack of blocks in slot 2. And are you using the correct cords? Minecraft uses x,y,z with y as the height and face is 0-4, I can't reproduce somthing that never happens for me.
caitlyn #113
Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:43 PM
I've tried with GPS and without
Coal coke and Coal
Overworld and Nether
FTB/Direwolf20 pack - CC 1.481 / misc peripherals 2.3

Here are some screen shots. I

SpoilerBefore the run:

After the run failed:

Attempt to continue:

You can see it went about 4 blocks down. This time at least it's digging down :)/> I'm tempted to put random debug statements throughout it to get an idea whats going on when it fails.
Henness #114
Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:17 AM
Coal coke and Coal
Overworld and Nether

Here are some screen shots. I

SpoilerBefore the run:

After the run failed:

Attempt to continue:

You can see it went about 4 blocks down. This time at least it's digging down :)/>/>/> I'm tempted to put random debug statements throughout it to get an idea whats going on when it fails.

Can you run it without the gui, with "advancedorefinder <width> <height> <ignore>" if there is an error it should show it. And just leave out the variables to run from a save file.
Budman17r #115
Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:04 AM
Henness, I keep losing my turtles because of server reboots, etc, Any ideas how I can set them back off through rednet?

I like your program but losing the turtles is becoming a burden…

doing 100 x 5 rows.
caitlyn #116
Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:25 PM
Can you run it without the gui, with "advancedorefinder <width> <height> <ignore>" if there is an error it should show it. And just leave out the variables to run from a save file.

Just ran it and did get an error. Line 41 "failed to index ? (a nil value)". The settings were 10 10 1 and the turtle placed a block down (started 1 block off ground) then moved forward 10 times, turned right, and died a horrible quiet death.

Spoiler

Looks like the function for serializing a table for saving isn't having the name passed to the function maybe? I tested multiple times, this is definitely whats causing the issue. The advanced tunnel works like a champ, as does the gui
sjkeegs #117
Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:13 AM
Coal coke and Coal
Overworld and Nether

You can see it went about 4 blocks down. This time at least it's digging down :)/> I'm tempted to put random debug statements throughout it to get an idea whats going on when it fails.

This looks somewhat like the failure mode I was seeing. The turtles would typically stop/abort while performing the rotation loop in findDown() to check for Ores. They could stop on any of the 1..4 indexes in the rotation loop. The only common part there seems to be the save() procedure. That's about as far as I got when looking at it.
Henness #118
Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:30 AM
This looks somewhat like the failure mode I was seeing. The turtles would typically stop/abort while performing the rotation loop in findDown() to check for Ores. They could stop on any of the 1..4 indexes in the rotation loop. The only common part there seems to be the save() procedure. That's about as far as I got when looking at it.

Maybe its because its saving to a file too often. I could make it so it doesn't save when the turtle turns that might fix it. Because I have no problems with the program at all.
usmc3891 #119
Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:55 AM
I have a couple of issues. First, with 4 gps hosts and a wireless mining turtle, it sticks at retireving gps coords from host. in order for it to do anything I have to enter my coords manually. Second, it seems like the ignore option doesnt really do anything. It will ignore the number of slots i select but will still mine those materials and keep them in the turtles inventory. Third, after one or 2 holes it gives me the error "parallel:22: advancedorefinder:434: Expected string". Lastly, will the turtle go back and mine the ore veins it has revield?
Henness #120
Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:04 AM
I have a couple of issues. First, with 4 gps hosts and a wireless mining turtle, it sticks at retireving gps coords from host. in order for it to do anything I have to enter my coords manually. Second, it seems like the ignore option doesnt really do anything. It will ignore the number of slots i select but will still mine those materials and keep them in the turtles inventory. Third, after one or 2 holes it gives me the error "parallel:22: advancedorefinder:434: Expected string". Lastly, will the turtle go back and mine the ore veins it has revield?

Its not sticking at retrieving gps coords, it times out after 5 sec because it didn't find any hosts. Don't know why it didn't work if you had them i use them all the time. And your misunderstanding standing how the ignore variable works. The turtle has a set pattern it digs and will always did that pattern if you have stone to be ignored its still going to have to mine through stone to find the other ores I just haven't added an option to drop the stuff you have ignored. I also fixed the error you were having. And its not relieving ores the pattern it digs will allow the turtle to dig all of the ores in the area you have defined there's no need to go back and mine the whole vein.
usmc3891 #121
Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:37 PM
Thank you for the quick response :)/>. Now I understand a lot better the capabilities of the program. The GPS issue is odd though. When i run GPS Locate from a normal computer it picks up just fine. I'm not sure why the Ore Finder wont recieve it. Its still a great program none the less. Keep it up and I am definatly going to keep using your programs.
Volmic #122
Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:58 AM
I've downloaded the ap program onto the turtle, however when I run the tunnel program and put in parameters the progress bar remains at 0 and the turtle doesn't move. I may be doing something wrong with the fuel and torches, I am unsure where to put them. Any help would be appreciated.
Henness #123
Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:07 PM
I've downloaded the ap program onto the turtle, however when I run the tunnel program and put in parameters the progress bar remains at 0 and the turtle doesn't move. I may be doing something wrong with the fuel and torches, I am unsure where to put them. Any help would be appreciated.

Torches go In the first slot, and it sounds like you need to give your turtle fuel place some coal or wood or another type of fuel in the turtle and run the program "refuel all". Make sure you label your turtle so it keeps its fuel level, use the program "label set <label>"
foopex #124
Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:53 PM
Thank you for the quick response :)/>. Now I understand a lot better the capabilities of the program. The GPS issue is odd though. When i run GPS Locate from a normal computer it picks up just fine. I'm not sure why the Ore Finder wont recieve it. Its still a great program none the less. Keep it up and I am definatly going to keep using your programs.

I set up my GPS network twice trying, and my turtle hangs on orefinder locating its position. When i run gps locate on the turtle it reports the exact position just fine. So, I suppose i'm having the same problem is you?

It set mine up once high in the sky, and once again on the ground near the excavation site, same result.

EDIT: and note, it doesn't time out. It stays there forever.. .well, the 30 minutes I left it while i went and mined on my own and came back to check =)
Henness #125
Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:19 PM
I set up my GPS network twice trying, and my turtle hangs on orefinder locating its position. When i run gps locate on the turtle it reports the exact position just fine. So, I suppose i'm having the same problem is you?

It set mine up once high in the sky, and once again on the ground near the excavation site, same result.

EDIT: and note, it doesn't time out. It stays there forever.. .well, the 30 minutes I left it while i went and mined on my own and came back to check =)

There isn't any fancy code that would hang its just:

rednet.open("right")
x,y,z = gps.locate(5)

So I don't see how that would freeze?
caitlyn #126
Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:09 AM
The index nil error still happens at the same place in the script, but now it doesn't happen as fast. Previously it would crash out before finishing a single verticle shaft. Now it appears to crash out on the 3rd or 4th. You might have to do some nil comparing in that function to get it to stop, but I'm still curious why it's happening.
foopex #127
Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

rednet.open("right")
x,y,z = gps.locate(5)

Ok, I got the code to work in the lua console and print coords, I'll try it again on my turtle
foopex #128
Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:21 AM
It worked this time, not sure what I did different! Thanks for the orefinder program it is working perfectly now!
sjkeegs #129
Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

rednet.open("right")
x,y,z = gps.locate(5)

Ok, I got the code to work in the lua console and print coords, I'll try it again on my turtle

I had the same thing happen. I put some debug code in and the turtle was getting valid GPS coordinates, but it failed to perform the first turtle.forward() operation. If you then stand in front of it, you will get attacked by the turtle. I aborted the orefinder and then tried to move the turtle with "go forward" and "go back" to see if it would move at all and it did. Once I did that first successful move operation the turtle ran the orefinder without a problem.

It now appears to be running fine for me. The change in the save operation seemed to stop it halting during the orefinder rotation loop.

Henness -

I have been seeing something strange though. A lot of the times when the turtles pop out of the holes they have a bunch of mined material sitting on top, which gets left sitting there when the turtle moves off to the next hole. I rode a turtle down while it was mining and noticed that a lot of the mined material was not actually being collected by the turtles. Some of it would pop off in the other direction and wouldn't be picked up, and some of it would fall down adjacent holes from one of the previous mine shafts. I'm currently using 1.4.6 and CC 1.481. I've also got miscperipherals and OpenCCSensors installed. I'm going to modify it and try again without those CC addon mods.

Edit: this may be normal, although I don't recall seeing turtles not pick up everything before. I got concerned when I saw 4 diamonds sitting there on the ground.
Yusunoha #130
Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:44 PM
I have no coding experience, but would it be possible to change the advanced tunnel program so when the inventory of the turtle is full, it places an enderchest, dumps the items into it, picks the enderchest back up and continues moving?
I've seen 1 or 2 scripts that do that, but I have no idea how to change the code for it…
DarkriftX #131
Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:03 PM
looks like this went belly up. I can stop refreshing this page once a day now :(/>
Henness #132
Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:40 PM
It not belly up I'm still working on it just haven't had as much time to work on it lately. I have been trying the make the code more modular so its easier to add options. like the enderchest idea. so far I have cut the code's length by almost half of was it was.
Henness #133
Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:21 PM
Im currently Having 4 turtles find ores in 21x21 chunk area, so this is a really good test if my program is reliable. All the ores go to an enderchest that goes back to my base to an automatic redpower sorting system.
xen #134
Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:16 AM
Hi iam pretty new to CC but ur program is GREAT… only one question i got is it possible that the turtle return to the chest, drops all stuff except fuel and then continue building the tunnel? When finished return to stating posiition?
And when i use the AdvTunnel program the turtle wont place any torches?!?

Greetz
Xen
Henness #135
Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:55 PM
Hi iam pretty new to CC but ur program is GREAT… only one question i got is it possible that the turtle return to the chest, drops all stuff except fuel and then continue building the tunnel? When finished return to stating posiition?
And when i use the AdvTunnel program the turtle wont place any torches?!?

Greetz
Xen

The tunnel program is fairly out of date I need to re-wright it, it doesn't have chest drop and it doesn't have refuel. When using the torch feature the torches must be in the first slot.
xen #136
Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:54 AM
ah ok… could you added those features? that if its invetory is full it returns to the chest and empty everything except slot 1 ( and maybe 2 for fuel)?
Henness #137
Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:30 AM
ah ok… could you added those features? that if its invetory is full it returns to the chest and empty everything except slot 1 ( and maybe 2 for fuel)?

Ya I plan on adding those features, right now I'm adapting a movement api to my orefinder program and after I have done that I'll get to work re-writing the tunnel program.
xen #138
Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:22 PM
ok cool cant wait for it :)/>
Slind #139
Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 AM
hey,

i build a gps system and ist working fine with gps locate. but when im using ur orefinde it just says "Receiving coordinates from host…" for hours. Is there a way to fix this without server permission=?
Henness #140
Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:41 AM
hey,

i build a gps system and ist working fine with gps locate. but when im using ur orefinde it just says "Receiving coordinates from host…" for hours. Is there a way to fix this without server permission=?

Most likely because you have to refuel the turtle. After the turtle locates were it is it moves forward so it can find what direction it is facing. Place coal ore some other source of fuel in the turtle and use the refuel program. Don't forget to label your turtle so you don't loose the fuel.

My next ore finder program will be more intuitive and will tell you when you need fuel or other items, because I keep getting people that are having problems when they don't have fuel in the turtle.
NeverCast #141
Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:42 AM
You retain fuel if you label the turtle?
I wish that was the case when you broke the turtle, I'm pretty sure last time I tried ( a week ago ), a named turtle will still lose it's fuel if broken.
Henness #142
Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:45 AM
You retain fuel if you label the turtle?
I wish that was the case when you broke the turtle, I'm pretty sure last time I tried ( a week ago ), a named turtle will still lose it's fuel if broken.

Nope, labeled turtle's keep their fuel when broken I use it all the time.
NeverCast #143
Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:07 PM
DarkriftX

Please use a spoiler or PasteBin!

Nope, labeled turtle's keep their fuel when broken I use it all the time.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
Slind #144
Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:45 AM
hey,

Most likely because you have to refuel the turtle. After the turtle locates were it is it moves forward so it can find what direction it is facing. Place coal ore some other source of fuel in the turtle and use the refuel program. Don't forget to label your turtle so you don't loose the fuel.

My next ore finder program will be more intuitive and will tell you when you need fuel or other items, because I keep getting people that are having problems when they don't have fuel in the turtle.

i did
xInDiGo #145
Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:16 AM
i've noticed that if the turtles inventory fills up w/ junk like xychorium then the rest of the ores fall to the ground. is there a way around this?
Henness #146
Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:31 PM
i've noticed that if the turtles inventory fills up w/ junk like xychorium then the rest of the ores fall to the ground. is there a way around this?

Yes my next version will return ores while in the middle of mining the holes.
PhilHibbs #147
Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:44 PM
The Advanced Updater is a program I made to automatically download new versions of my programs. Once downloaded it will run my Advanced GUI and you will have access to both my Advanced OreFinder and my Advanced Tunnel all from one interface.
Hm… automatic updates from the internet, not sure that's a good idea. You could be a griefer who has worked hard to establish a good reputation only to release a Griefing Turtle script once we've all fallen for your evil scheme!

Combine this technique with an ASTU Batch Turtle and you could write out a batch file and execute it for real-world griefing!
theoriginalbit #148
Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:56 PM
Hm… automatic updates from the internet, not sure that's a good idea. You could be a griefer who has worked hard to establish a good reputation only to release a Griefing Turtle script once we've all fallen for your evil scheme!
Well that means your not going to have much luck with MOST decent programs on this community. most the good ones all auto update. Also his Advanced Updater (by the looks of it) is still a program that you have to run manually before it downloads and installs the updates (correct me if I'm wrong here Henness) so if you don't want them, don't run the program.

FYI: All my latest programs all have auto updater functionality. If it doesn't have it, I don't release it.

EDIT: Also the updater relies on the http api to be enabled, so disable it and you would get any updates from any program
Edited on 30 January 2013 - 10:58 PM
PhilHibbs #149
Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:30 AM
EDIT: Also the updater relies on the http api to be enabled, so disable it and you would get any updates from any program
I think I'll just check anything that I install for auto-updater functionality and remove it myself. It's a feature that is at the very top of my Do Not Want list. I hope I'm not causing offense - and I wasn't making a serious accusaiton of being a sleeper griefer - but it's still a serious concern that someone will pull this stunt one day.
Henness #150
Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:18 AM
All my code is available on my git hub, you can go on their and look at it and check for malicious scrips if you wanted to also my updater is separate from my main program if you don't want it then just download the programs from my git hub and run the programs with advancedgui instead of with the advancedupdater. Also when it does update it will tell you that it did, allowing you to check my code again before you run the programs.

Personally I think auto update is extremely handy, and a huge time saver.
PhilHibbs #151
Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:26 AM
Personally I think auto update is extremely handy, and a huge time saver.
Oh, sure, but security and convenience are always opposed to each other.

I just had a look at your advanced-updater, and I like it. I might use it myself.

How do you update the updater? :P/>
xInDiGo #152
Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

waiting on this version
theoriginalbit #153
Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:48 PM
How do you update the updater? :P/>
In CC you can delete or override a program while its running. So download it into the same file then restart the file either via the bad shell.run(file) or making a temp startup to start it, reboot the computer, then remove the temp startup.
Henness #154
Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:21 PM
waiting on this version

Doing debugging right now
ughzug #155
Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:47 AM
fresh install of advanced ore miner off your pastebin; ran the startup and it gets stuck on the message reciving gps coords. gps satlite is well in range. replacing and trying again rendered same results.

please add a note to make sure the turtle has absorbed some fuel before starting the program to your ore finder notes or have it eat some fuel in its first gps locate.

resolved.
ughzug #156
Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:49 AM
feature requests/suggestions:

allow user defind ingore list to be saved, and then allow user to remove ignore materials from inventory for more efficent inventory management.

allow the option to use ender chests for ignored materials (disposal), good materials (non ignored), and refueling (coal coke, charcoal, blaze rods, etc)

rednet controls and ui

chunkloading turtle to pair up with mining turtle and follow above using broadcasts.

automatic resume, with kill button.

place torchs on top of filler material to prevent hostile mob spawns while running program underground.
PhilHibbs #157
Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:37 AM
allow user defind ingore list to be saved, and then allow user to remove ignore materials from inventory for more efficent inventory management.
Not possible with regular turtles, the only way a turtle can identify a block is by comparing it to a block in a specific inventory slot. There are add-ons that add Block ID inspection but that isn't a feature of ComputerCraft.
xInDiGo #158
Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:45 AM
waiting on this version

Doing debugging right now

looking forward to giving this a run!
Sunblood #159
Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:04 PM
I signed up just to post in this topic! Awesome program. I wonder if this would be helpful though?

add this in where the Turtle is depositing items

for i = ofsave["ignore"]+3, 16 do
turtle.select(i)
if turtle.compareTo(1) then
  turtle.transferTo(1,turtle.getItemSpace(1))
end
end

If you use Coal to fuel your Turtle, this will take Coal from the Turtle's inventory that it has mined and move it into the first slot. This ensures the Turtle always has 64 fuel before depositing any of it into the return chest.
Henness #160
Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:58 PM
I signed up just to post in this topic! Awesome program. I wonder if this would be helpful though?

add this in where the Turtle is depositing items

for i = ofsave["ignore"]+3, 16 do
turtle.select(i)
if turtle.compareTo(1) then
  turtle.transferTo(1,turtle.getItemSpace(1))
end
end

If you use Coal to fuel your Turtle, this will take Coal from the Turtle's inventory that it has mined and move it into the first slot. This ensures the Turtle always has 64 fuel before depositing any of it into the return chest.

I'm changing it to deal with fuel like the excavate program does, When it returns and it needs fuel it will look for mined fuel in its inventory and consume it. If it still doesn't have enough fuel it will wait for fuel. Also I have added the ability to pause at any time and refuel the turtle.

feature requests/suggestions:

allow the option to use ender chests for ignored materials (disposal), good materials (non ignored), and refueling (coal coke, charcoal, blaze rods, etc)

rednet controls and ui

chunkloading turtle to pair up with mining turtle and follow above using broadcasts.

automatic resume, with kill button.

place torchs on top of filler material to prevent hostile mob spawns while running program underground.

Like stated already I can't save the ignore list but the program already remembers how many it ignores. That's best as I can get, I will be adding a feature for ender chests but only for depositing items. If I add to many enderchests then the inventory will be why to small and it will have to empty more often and slow down the program. I plan on allowing remote access with rednet to the turtle. Currently the chunk loading turtle is disabled on the server I play on so That would be near the bottom of my list but If you use the Chunk Loader block from I believe the code chicken mods. You can load a area of that of a player. I will be adding automatic start up, for people that have a gps satellite. And I cant really place torches currently because on return the turtle will just mine them after they have been placed but if I make the turtle mine the block below instead of the block above I could.
ughzug #161
Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:59 AM
what about having the turtle go up one block above the "surface" level to go over the torches while in drop off mode, and return to work mode? the space should already be cleared from the gravel/sand protection.
Henness #162
Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:14 AM
Advanced OreFinder Updated v3.0

I have just uploaded the new orefinder program, it has been rewritten and now can be easily modified. The gui for it has been completely changed and will have progress info added to it latter. But for now you can pause refuel save exit and resume. I made a custom read function that can read multiple lines making it so you can edit one line then move on the the next and then still go back to a previous line, this feature will be added to my advancedgui soon. I have to do alot to the advanced gui to make it better but I did make it work with the new orefinder program for now. I'm gonna end up making two api's I'll make one a movement api and one a gui api. I haven't yet though because I have to update the updater, due to a flaw in my code I don't think I can add more files to the config to be downloaded. So everyone would have to download the new updater manually and after I fix the bug then I will make the updater update automatically also.

New Features to OreFinder
  • New Interface
  • Pause/Resume
  • Save &amp; Exit
  • Refuel
  • Improved Emptying (Empty's anytime)
  • Maximized inventory space
  • Improved saving system (It doesn't constantly save)
  • Improved Code In General
Code not implemented yet, but will be next update. Along with an update to the advanced gui and the updater.
  • Ender chest drop off
  • Progress info in the interface
  • automatic resume (will only resume automatically when the turtle isn't exited from the menu)
  • rednet access (will be easy with the new interface code)
There are a few things you should know about the new inventory system. There is no longer a fuel slot your turtle will refuel when it returns to the chest consuming as much fuel it needs from the items it mined. Also the blocks placed at the top of the holes are now the first ignored item. So if you have Dirt stone and gravel as ignored items then you should put dirt in the first slot, because it will get used as the item to cover the holes with.

I will be making a video when I come out with the updates for the gui and updater.
xxdolcexx #163
Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:01 PM
your advance ore tinngy dont work any more whit 3.0

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3112/20130206000020.png

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6642/20130206000024.png

when i pres done he go back to menu
Henness #164
Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:07 PM
your advance ore tinngy dont work any more whit 3.0

http://img585.images...30206000020.png

http://img837.images...30206000024.png

when i pres done he go back to menu

Will you run "advancedorefinder orefinder.save" it will show you an error if there is one.
sumbrawd #165
Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:54 PM
Everything works fine until I get to putting in the coords. I put in the cords however it doesn't let me select the "done" button. I have no idea if im missing something or if it's a bug. Plz help. Thanks :)/>
Henness #166
Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:09 AM
Everything works fine until I get to putting in the coords. I put in the cords however it doesn't let me select the "done" button. I have no idea if im missing something or if it's a bug. Plz help. Thanks :)/>

All inputs must be variables and y has to be less then 255, then you have to press enter.
theoriginalbit #167
Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:34 AM
All inputs must be variables and y has to be less then 255, then you have to press enter.
Maybe put this as a message on the GUI.
Henness #168
Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:38 AM
Maybe put this as a message on the GUI.

I figured it was intuitive… but that seems like its never the case.
theoriginalbit #169
Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:43 AM
I figured it was intuitive… but that seems like its never the case.
Never assume a user will understand. Hell clothes irons say "do not touch plate when on" and "do not iron clothes while on body", which you would think are both common sense. Clearly not. So never assume the smarts of your users.
Henness #170
Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

Just thought of something else the "face" section must be 0-3 I'll end up adding a something that clears any lines that are entered incorrectly, and change the message at the top.
sumbrawd #171
Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:08 AM
ok thanks :)/> i was typing in the whole word for the face. thanks for dealing with my stupidity :)/>
Henness #172
Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:03 PM
ok thanks :)/> i was typing in the whole word for the face. thanks for dealing with my stupidity :)/>

Np, I figured that's what it was. I might added it so that you can type north south east and west.
theoriginalbit #173
Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:44 PM
Just thought of something else the "face" section must be 0-3 I'll end up adding a something that clears any lines that are entered incorrectly, and change the message at the top.
If you wish maybe do something like this
Spoiler

local faces = {
 "North",
 "East",
 "South",
 "West"
}

local function validateFace( input )
  if faces[ tonumber(input) ] then
    return (tonumber(input) - 1) -- since indexes are 1-4 we -1 to make it 0-3
  else
    for i = 1, #faces do
      if faces[i] == input then
        return (i - 1) -- since indexes are 1-4 we -1 to make it 0-3
      end
    end

return nil
  end
end

-- however you get the input here following this example
local facing
while not facing do -- while facing == nil
  write("Enter facing: ")
  local input = read()
  facing = validateFace( input )
  if not facing then
    print("Invalid direction "..input )
  end
end
With this it will validate the number exists in the table and if it does returns the shifted, then if its text checks it exists too. Btw sorry if the faces table is in the wrong order, I always forget which direction is 0.
HoraceWeebler #174
Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:21 AM
Slight problem with your function in the orefinder below. Specifically, rednet.open returns NIL- always. See the documentation for confirmation. To this end, you always report no modem even when one is present.

Please update the code to instead check for a timeout to gps.locate, or possibly just check the x, y, z to make sure they have the expected range of values (i.e., not nil or zero, whichever your variables are initially set to).

local function locate()
local x,y,z,facing
if rednet.open("right") then
printCentered("Receiving coordinates from host…", 4)
x,y,z = gps.locate(3)
if x and y and z then
forward()
Andruvan #175
Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:57 AM
Hi, I've pretty much just started using computercraft and find the turtles to be an incredible tool. First off I want to give a big thank you to Henness for this amazing program which combined with the OreQuarry program makes mining a breeze. :)/>

I have a bit of an issue with the Advanced Tunnel program though and I don't know how to troubleshoot or resolve it, but I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers on what I might be doing wrong.

The Advanced Tunnel program has worked fine several times but has now stopped mining blocks.
To be short the issue is that after starting a tunnel program (e.g. 3x8x8) the turtle mines the first block in front of it and then stops, doing nothing. I first encountered this issue with a mining turtle crafted with a ruby pickaxe and thought that might be problem, but the same issue occurred with a newly crafted mining turtle using a diamond pickaxe.
I've tried putting charcoal and coal in all item slots of the turtle and restarting the mining program but it did not help.
I've also tried putting torches in the first slot and choosing to enable torch placement; this did not affect the issue.

Current version:
Minecraft 1.4.7
Direwolf20 mod pack 5.0.1 with the FTB launcher on a Direwolf20 mod pack server.
- Forge 1.4.7-6.6.0.515
- ComputerCraft v1.481
- RedPowerCompat-2.0pr6
- RedPowerCore-2.0pr6
- RedPowerDigital-2.0pr6
- RedPowerMechanical-2.0pr6

Thank you in advance for any help! :)/>
Kind Regards, André
Henness #176
Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:18 AM
Hi, I've pretty much just started using computercraft and find the turtles to be an incredible tool. First off I want to give a big thank you to Henness for this amazing program which combined with the OreQuarry program makes mining a breeze. :)/>

I have a bit of an issue with the Advanced Tunnel program though and I don't know how to troubleshoot or resolve it, but I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers on what I might be doing wrong.

The Advanced Tunnel program has worked fine several times but has now stopped mining blocks.
To be short the issue is that after starting a tunnel program (e.g. 3x8x8) the turtle mines the first block in front of it and then stops, doing nothing. I first encountered this issue with a mining turtle crafted with a ruby pickaxe and thought that might be problem, but the same issue occurred with a newly crafted mining turtle using a diamond pickaxe.
I've tried putting charcoal and coal in all item slots of the turtle and restarting the mining program but it did not help.
I've also tried putting torches in the first slot and choosing to enable torch placement; this did not affect the issue.

Current version:
Minecraft 1.4.7
Direwolf20 mod pack 5.0.1 with the FTB launcher on a Direwolf20 mod pack server.
- Forge 1.4.7-6.6.0.515
- ComputerCraft v1.481
- RedPowerCompat-2.0pr6
- RedPowerCore-2.0pr6
- RedPowerDigital-2.0pr6

Kind Regards, André

The tunnel program is a very old program and has no refuel functionality at all. you have to refuel the turtle before you start mining.

Slight problem with your function in the orefinder below. Specifically, rednet.open returns NIL- always. See the documentation for confirmation. To this end, you always report no modem even when one is present.

Please update the code to instead check for a timeout to gps.locate, or possibly just check the x, y, z to make sure they have the expected range of values (i.e., not nil or zero, whichever your variables are initially set to).

local function locate()
local x,y,z,facing
x,y,z = gps.locate(3)
if x and y and z then
forward()

Didn't know that I'll add that to be fixed for the following update.
Andruvan #177
Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:34 AM
@Henness

Wow, so it was that simple :)/> I looked up refueling and now it works just fine again!

Much gratitude Henness, and thank you again for this fantastic program.

~André

Spoiler

Current version:
Minecraft 1.4.7
- Forge 1.4.7-6.6.0.515
- ComputerCraft v1.481
- RedPowerCompat-2.0pr6
- RedPowerCore-2.0pr6
- RedPowerDigital-2.0pr6

Kind Regards, André

The tunnel program is a very old program and has no refuel functionality at all. you have to refuel the turtle before you start mining.

local function locate()
local x,y,z,facing
x,y,z = gps.locate(3)
if x and y and z then
forward()

HoraceWeebler #178
Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Current version:
Minecraft 1.4.7
- Forge 1.4.7-6.6.0.515
- ComputerCraft v1.481
- RedPowerCompat-2.0pr6
- RedPowerCore-2.0pr6
- RedPowerDigital-2.0pr6

Kind Regards, André

local function locate()
local x,y,z,facing
x,y,z = gps.locate(3)
if x and y and z then
forward()

Thank you for the quick feedback. The program is a work of art and I can't wait to not have to type in coords to get my miners going :)/>
Minithra #179
Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:38 PM
Where does the orefinder turtle drop off? Once it had a full inventory, it just returns to the start position, turns around and leaves.

Nevermind, found the place for a chest.
HoraceWeebler #180
Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:39 PM
I have verified one potential issue with OreFinder. If using an ender chest, sometimes the chest gets backed up from several teams of miners working. The issue is that when a turtle fails to dropoff its inventory, it goes back to mining only to freeze up when it can't mine more blocks. The fix would be to wait at the chest until the turtle's inventory is emptied.

For now, I have a work around, but I just thought you should know.
Minithra #181
Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:12 PM
The tunnel program misbehaves in case of tall tunnels.

I attempted to use it to chop down the big Twilight forest trees - gave it the variables: 9 wide, 9 long, 80 tall.

The first line goes very well. The second one… it goes only halfway up, then proceeds to dig down for the rest of the height. Any clue why? This is pretty much the only program I found that I can use for this, and my attempts at making one of my own didn't result in any success (unless an excavate that never stops counts)
Henness #182
Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:41 PM
The tunnel program misbehaves in case of tall tunnels.

I attempted to use it to chop down the big Twilight forest trees - gave it the variables: 9 wide, 9 long, 80 tall.

The first line goes very well. The second one… it goes only halfway up, then proceeds to dig down for the rest of the height. Any clue why? This is pretty much the only program I found that I can use for this, and my attempts at making one of my own didn't result in any success (unless an excavate that never stops counts)

The tunnel program expects that its digging a tunnel and that its starting in an already dug out room or tunnel. So The area above it has to be clear and then it will move all the way to the top of the area its going to dig and then start there. I expect that you are starting it in the tree and then its trying to move up into the tree then when it thinks its at the top it starts to dig down. As I have stated before this is an old program and I need to update it. Im just focusing on my orefinder program right now.
Henness #183
Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:45 PM
I have verified one potential issue with OreFinder. If using an ender chest, sometimes the chest gets backed up from several teams of miners working. The issue is that when a turtle fails to dropoff its inventory, it goes back to mining only to freeze up when it can't mine more blocks. The fix would be to wait at the chest until the turtle's inventory is emptied.

Yes I have ran into this problem with my turtles also. If my logistic pipe storage system runs out of power the chest gets backed up. But what happening is the turtles get stuck in loop of returning to the chest and returning to were they need to mine. I have already started making the turtle wait until the chest is full for the next version.
Minithra #184
Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:11 PM
The tunnel program expects that its digging a tunnel and that its starting in an already dug out room or tunnel. So The area above it has to be clear and then it will move all the way to the top of the area its going to dig and then start there. I expect that you are starting it in the tree and then its trying to move up into the tree then when it thinks its at the top it starts to dig down. As I have stated before this is an old program and I need to update it. Im just focusing on my orefinder program right now.

So if I start it so it has room, it'll be okay? Even with large areas?

Also, where does this unload?
Henness #185
Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:41 AM
So if I start it so it has room, it'll be okay? Even with large areas?

Also, where does this unload?

Yes if it has room to move up at the start it will do fine, there is no unload this was made before you could drop stuff in chests.
HoraceWeebler #186
Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Yes I have ran into this problem with my turtles also. If my logistic pipe storage system runs out of power the chest gets backed up. But what happening is the turtles get stuck in loop of returning to the chest and returning to were they need to mine. I have already started making the turtle wait until the chest is full for the next version.

You can avoid using power by having a computer set below an interactive sorter (or other supporting peripheral). A quick script will dump the contents of any connected chest (connected to the sorter that is) into a pipe system.

Can't wait for the next release of the OreFinder!!! Today someone on my server called me a 'virus on the landscape.' HAha!
Wizhk #187
Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:07 PM
What would I have to do to get this Turtle to use Lava Cells as fuel without putting them in the chest (The Turtle will start its run with the lava cells but on first return it puts them into the chest with the ores). Also it won't re-fuel from lava-cells in a side chest.

Wizhk
Henness #188
Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:29 PM
What would I have to do to get this Turtle to use Lava Cells as fuel without putting them in the chest (The Turtle will start its run with the lava cells but on first return it puts them into the chest with the ores). Also it won't re-fuel from lava-cells in a side chest.

Wizhk

Right now you can't, the only way for it too use the cells it too refuel the turtle before or while the program is running. Witch I don't believe is a problem because the turtle stores fuel so it never waists it. But next update I can add an option to retain fuel.
kody275 #189
Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:41 AM
how to when you put in all the stuff for the OreQuarry the x,y,z and all that how to u select done?
Henness #190
Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:20 PM
how to when you put in all the stuff for the OreQuarry the x,y,z and all that how to u select done?

You can find the coordinates of the turtle by pressing F3, there is a step by step tutorial on my main post.
TheLoiteringKid #191
Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:02 AM
 if tmpx > x then
faceing = 3
elseif tmpx < x then
faceing = 1
elseif tmpz > z then
faceing = 0
elseif tmpz < z then
facing = 2
end
return x,y,z,facing

correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it looks like there are 3 too many "e"s in that section of the code
theoriginalbit #192
Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:09 AM
 if tmpx > x then
faceing = 3
elseif tmpx < x then
faceing = 1
elseif tmpz > z then
faceing = 0
elseif tmpz < z then
facing = 2
end
return x,y,z,facing

correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it looks like there are 3 too many "e"s in that section of the code
Or one too little e… spelling doesn't matter in programming, just as long as they are all spelt the same.
TheLoiteringKid #193
Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:30 AM
yes as long as the variable is spelt the same, but "facing" is used everywhere else in the script as far as i could tell
Henness #194
Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:25 PM
yes as long as the variable is spelt the same, but "facing" is used everywhere else in the script as far as i could tell

Yes it's supposed to be facing but That part of the code never got accessed because I had "if rednet.open("right") then" which doesn't work. But thanks for pointing that out I'll have that fixed in the next update.
Gencode #195
Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:07 PM
Slightly modified the locate function to correctly get gps without errors, also correctly goes to manual input if no modem found. Also added the turtle.back() to the end so it starts mining from it's placed position (not 1 forward).

local function rn()
rednet.open("right")
end

local function locate()
local x,y,z,facing
if pcall(rn) then
  printCentered("Receiving coordinates from host...", 4)
  x,y,z = gps.locate(3)
  if x and y and z then
   forward()
   local tmpx,tmpy,tmpz = gps.locate(3)
   if tmpx > x then
	facing = 3
   elseif tmpx < x then
	facing = 1
   elseif tmpz > z then
	facing = 0
   elseif tmpz < z then
	facing = 2
   end
   turtle.back()
   return x,y,z,facing
  else

It doesn't seem to like starting from a preset though and I haven't looked into that.
zero80472 #196
Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:48 PM
awasome program but on my mulitplayer server (yes HTTP API is enabled) i get unable to http://github.com ? how would i fix this ?
TheLoiteringKid #197
Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

Yes it's supposed to be facing but That part of the code never got accessed because I had "if rednet.open("right") then" which doesn't work. But thanks for pointing that out I'll have that fixed in the next update.
ya, i was trying to get the gps to work before the next release cause I'm impatient and love your program.
Course i have never done any CC programing before, and was blundering my way through it, came somewhat close but looks like gencode has the lines i need to get it working till an official release.
R167 #198
Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:30 AM
This is awesome you should add photos to your post though so people can see what it does :P/>/>/>

Thanks, I was in the process of posting some pictures. But I use Imgur.

{[=========		 ]}
		   44%
Ya I was already going to add one but wasn't sure what to use for the bar, thanks for the suggestion. Oh and I changed that nill to nil didnt even notice it.

wish I could use extended ASCII characters

|███████████       	 |
	 55%

Now if only there were advanced turtles like advanced computers…
froost #199
Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:00 AM
Hey,
This is probably really obvious but where do I enter the co-ordinates when starting the program up. I only see the Width, Length and Ignore variables.
Thanks
Henness #200
Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:12 PM
Hey,
This is probably really obvious but where do I enter the co-ordinates when starting the program up. I only see the Width, Length and Ignore variables.
Thanks

You are using the tunnel program not the orefinder program.
Henness #201
Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:13 PM
awasome program but on my mulitplayer server (yes HTTP API is enabled) i get unable to http://github.com ? how would i fix this ?

I'm not sure what the problem exactly is so I can't really help you with that.
theoriginalbit #202
Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:25 PM
Are you trying to use the pastebin program to download a github program?
froost #203
Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:11 AM
Hey,
Thanks

You are using the tunnel program not the orefinder program.

Nope. I open the program and choose OreFinder then "New" then theres Width, Length and Ignore all on the same screen but nowhere to enter co-ordinates.
Wizhk #204
Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:35 PM
I have had the same problem before and I am not sure how it is fixed but if I tell my turtle to excavate a small area in front of it it seems to make the AP program work after that. My problem is that my turtles have to be told their coordinates even though they are wireless and I have a working GPS system set up. Plus I really wish the turtle would use Fuel Cells properly.
Gencode #205
Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:16 PM
@froost - The screen to enter co-ords is after the Width, Length and Ignore.
@Wizhk - The GPS not working is known, you can use the small modification I left on the previous page to get it working until a update comes out with a fix.
Henness #206
Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:15 AM
Nope. I open the program and choose OreFinder then "New" then theres Width, Length and Ignore all on the same screen but nowhere to enter co-ordinates.

I found a bug yesterday that would explain this when the turtle doesn't have a wireless modem it will crash the program, just add a modem and you should be good, I'll have that fixed next update, sorry…
DoomStorm484 #207
Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:17 PM
Sorry just saw the post above mine, thanks i tried that and it work Thanks so much. and wait for next update.

Love the program but the ore finder dose not work for me. I got in and choose new, and put in the width and length and the ignore place my blocks in the inventory. i got a pop up that says "Are you sure you would like to start a new excavation?". now matter with i choose it kicks me back to the main page for ore finder. Any help on getting it to work would be amazing. Code looks very nice by the way.
Gencode #208
Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:34 PM
@DoomStorm484 - try giving it some fuel via the "turtle.refuel()", if that doesn't work run "advancedorefinder orefinder.save" it should give a error if it can't start.
Kaidenyo #209
Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:58 AM
Hey, sweet pogram ! How far are you with coding the automatic restart function ? :)/>
jonOfArabia #210
Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:48 AM
Hi All,

So I'm really excited to used this program, and CC in general since I've never actually dabbled in it, but I'm running into a problem with the wireless mining turtle.

Warning: I'm super noob at CC

When I run advancedorefinder, or advancedorefinder <saved preset>, the GUI displays the "No wireless modem found, please enter the cords manualy." and the respective prompts for input.

1. The turtle is definitely wireless AND can discern it's coords with the "gps locate" command.

2. My gps array has a startup file that initiates broadcast of each computers coords, confirmed with both a 5th seperate comp and the wireless turtle.

3. For testing purposes, the wireless mining turtle is only a few meters away from the gps array.

My question is, am I doing something wrong with the program? The turtle can find it's own coords, but the program does not detect an attached modem.
Henness #211
Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:19 PM
Hi All,

So I'm really excited to used this program, and CC in general since I've never actually dabbled in it, but I'm running into a problem with the wireless mining turtle.

Warning: I'm super noob at CC

When I run advancedorefinder, or advancedorefinder <saved preset>, the GUI displays the "No wireless modem found, please enter the cords manualy." and the respective prompts for input.

1. The turtle is definitely wireless AND can discern it's coords with the "gps locate" command.

2. My gps array has a startup file that initiates broadcast of each computers coords, confirmed with both a 5th seperate comp and the wireless turtle.

3. For testing purposes, the wireless mining turtle is only a few meters away from the gps array.

My question is, am I doing something wrong with the program? The turtle can find it's own coords, but the program does not detect an attached modem.

Your not doing any thing wrong, I just assumed that rednet.open("right") would return a value if it succeeded in opening but it doesn't so no matter if there is a modem or not it thinks there isn't. I have been busy with a class and when I have some free time ill finish up the new update.
jonOfArabia #212
Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:46 PM
Aaah, k. Thanks for the response. I'm still going to use the program. I ran a few test turtles manually and the returns are so much better than a quarry.
Shadow_Assailant #213
Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:18 PM
I don't quite understand how the Pause option would work if the turtle is half-way beneath the surface. I'm just curious. And I assume that if I log off for the night, the turtle will continue its processes as soon as I reload the world the next day. Is this correct? Sorry. :P/> I'm just curious. :)/>

Edit: Presets don't seem to work. Not sure if this is a known problem, but when I make a new preset (Title: 16x16, W:16, L:16, Ign:2) the turtle saves it, prompts me to start a new excavation and as soon as I click yes and then done after the coords upload (GPS coords) I'm returned back the OreFinder GUI.
Zer0t3ch #214
Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:21 AM
The scrolling words at the startup of the Advanced Updater, it says Advaced, not Advanced.
Henness #215
Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:12 PM
The scrolling words at the startup of the Advanced Updater, it says Advaced, not Advanced.

Ya someone already pointed that out. Easy fix, just have to find a good way of updating the updater. Considering I didn't set that up right.
jycs #216
Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:13 AM
Superb API but OreFinder isn't working. First I don't find how to use GPS, but I tried to use the coordinates :
->If I enter the exact coordinate of the turtle, the turtle do nothing and the GUI back to "Continue, New, PRESET #1, PRESET #2, PRESET #3, back menu".
->If I enter another coords, the turtle goes to these coordinates and stop moving…

Can you help me ? Thanks!
Mannol #217
Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:52 PM
I'm having some problems.. Downloading the Api works like a charm, but when I want to start using the orefinder I run in a problem:

I start a new orefinder, and get asked to enter width and length and ignore. after I enter it, he asks if I want to start the excavation.. I select yes and press enter.. and I get kicked back to the start screen (continue, new, preset #1, preset #2, preset #3, back menu). Doesn't ask me to enter coordinates.. (not using a wireless turtle).

If I enter the advancedorefinder manually, I get an error message that there is no wireless modem.. which of course there is not.
jycs #218
Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:37 PM
Lol idiot, it's exactly what I said. :P/>
foopex #219
Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:42 PM
FYI, buddy of mine fixed up the code for our turtles…. Change lines around 509 in advancedorefinder to: (altered code in italics)

…………
local function locate()
local x,y,z,facing
rednet.open("right")
test = gps.locate(3)
if test ~= nil then
printCentered("Receiving coordinates……etc.
Cheesety210 #220
Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:59 AM
For the tunnel can you create an option to place cobblestone down in the spots with air/water/lava? It's annoying when I come back to my turtle tunnels and I have to place a bunch of blocks where i hit caves, and pools of lava and water.
Sakata #221
Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:10 PM
I love the program, and would love to see it updated. Is there a way to have the GitHub editable by some people that you've seen demonstrated good coding skills and such? That way, if you take a break, the project can go on, unhindered by checking forum posts and checking through threads to see if there is indeed an update.

I ask because I had to change the updater to return without even checking for updates, as it breaks patch-fixes found in the thread.

Perhaps the code could be modified to ask for user input on whether to update or not.

I'd also like to see the OP updated with the latest date changes were made.
Kris #222
Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:42 PM
Hi, im quite new to the computercraft
I am havng trouble using your programm on more than one turtle.
I set x,y,z and face for one turtle and it works, but when trying to do the same for the other turtle it dosn't show the x,y,z, face part
Also how do you use GPS ?
Is there any tutorials in details about your programm and turtles in general, i could not find any.
Jikuu #223
Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:55 AM
I set x,y,z and face for one turtle and it works, but when trying to do the same for the other turtle it dosn't show the x,y,z, face part

I would guess the second turtle is not a wireless turtle. If the turtle is not wireless, it goes back to the previous screen
Kris #224
Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:03 PM
it is a wireless turtle it has modem on it
Edit: Seems like im getting the same problem most ppl are getting, any fox for it yet ?
charredchar #225
Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:07 AM
So I know the GPS system isn't working right. I tried the fixes on the previous pages and it manages to work on an older turtle now though kind of has a mind of its own on where it starts digging…
But I seem to be having another issue that even the fix won't work on a new turtle and seems to not be related to the GPS. My cords are around -4000, 63, -100 and when ever I start the turtle with negative numbers it just turns around and stops. If I enter the same cords without the negative it works perfectly but that problem stops it from using the GPS.
courske #226
Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:04 AM
why he stops for gravel?
Jikuu #227
Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:23 AM
What happens if the chest is full? Does the turtle wait til it can fully empty or …?
shisagi #228
Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:49 AM
Ive encountered an error at the screen when inputing coords manually. Once u have input all of them there is no way to select the "done" button.
filippe999 #229
Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:34 AM
Hi, your program "OreFinder" did not work for me, it returns an error, but your TunnelAdv works fine.
I got superturtles on and hardcore mode off, i believe the error involves the refueling system, but due to my lack of experience programming in Lua i couldn't devise a solution myself, so 'im asking for help here.
chuck.child #230
Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:57 PM
It appears your advancedorefinder program can not handle unlimited fuel correctly.

When I execute 'advancedorefinder orefinder.save' I get the reply 'advancedorefinder:802 attempt to compare number with string expected, got number'

When I delete line 802, and associated else and end statements, the program executes flawlessly.
Quazaka #231
Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:32 AM
I've run into a problem with this wonderful program.
It used to work just fine.

But now when i launch the program and I start new oremining. I fill in the length, width and what to ignore, then it asked "Are you sure you would like to start a new excavation?" - I press yes and it does nothing. - I go back to the screen where you can pick "continue" and "new" - Not giving the opportunity to fill in cords or anything else.

Yes the server has http api enable
Yes the turtle have fuel (15k+)
Yes it is a mining turtle.
Yes it can run simple commands.
No i have not used the program on this server before.
Yes the tunnel program work just fine.

What could be the problem?
Thank you very much.
naviss #232
Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:06 AM
Hi

I have exactly the same problem

By
Naviss
vafo #233
Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:33 AM
Same here :(/>
Duros1394 #234
Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:29 AM
I signed up just for this program because i love it to bits however i was wondering if there was no way to add the ore drop off to the tunnel option? I haven't encountered a program that does a custom tunnel size with ore drop off, i have found one however it has errors and gravel effects it.. anyway I hope to see the ore drop function added soon
Bjatta #235
Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:56 PM
I`m novice in computercraft turtle programming, now I try to do my own tunnel boring script. And I realized digUp or digDown when try to dig sand/gravel like this:
Spoiler

function CheckUp(slot)
  if not turtle.detectUp() then
	turtle.select(slot)
	turtle.placeUp()
  end
end
function CheckDown(slot)
  if not turtle.detectDown() then
	turtle.select(slot)
	turtle.placeDown()
  end
end
function mineUp(steps)
  for smu=1,steps do
	while not turtle.up() do
	  turtle.digUp()
	end
  end
  CheckUp(up_cell)
end
function mineDown(steps)
  for smd=1,steps do
	while not turtle.down() do
	  turtle.digDown()
	end
  end
  CheckDown(floor_cell)
end
function one_step()
  while not turtle.forward() do
	turtle.dig()
  end
end

checkUp - for build top and floor of my (bridge/tunnel)
in this case don`t need in sleep(0.5) and dig/build faster…

I hope to see the ore drop function…
U mean deploy turtle inventory to enderchest?
like this:
Spoiler

function deploy()
  while not turtle.forward() do
	turtle.dig()
  end
  turtle.back()
  turtle.select(chest_cell)
  turtle.place()
  for i=up_cell+1,chest_cell do
	turtle.select(i)
	turtle.drop()
  end
  turtle.dig()
end

http://pastebin.com/uU7k3yBt
Bjatta #236
Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

sorry

double posts
filippe999 #237
Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:38 AM
Is it possible to deactivate the whole fuel management system? also, even when i set the coordinates manually through the GPS program the program doesn't start at all.
kathars1s #238
Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:14 PM
Program seems to work pretty good for me after adding the wireless modem.

Just one thing though, is there any way to tell it to not dump its fuel in the chest as well? As it is, every time the inventory fills and it dumps its load, it pauses there because it dropped off all of its fuel as well.
backwoods #239
Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:15 PM
I can't seem to get the ore finding program to work.. I get to the screen to enter the dimensions and how many items to ignore hit enter then it asks me If im sure I want to start or sometihng and takes me rite back to the screen to select new continues or presets..
backwoods #240
Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:20 PM
Nevermind I gave up and found another script. I see alot of folks in the replies with the same issue but no real answer, Thanks for the effort in making this , shame alot of use seem to be having the same issue
tiwuno #241
Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:04 AM
This program used to run fine other than the turtle not accepting negative values, now I can't even get it to ask for coordinates. It seems that the more ComputerCraft gets updated, the more this program breaks, and the author hasn't been active in months. Shame too, I like this program a lot more than horizontally-mining turtles.
mrpoopy345 #242
Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:56 PM
I use this all the time to get recources! THANK YOU!
peanutinky #243
Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:41 PM
having the same problem as clueless can't it to let me input coordinates. it tunneler part works great its just the orefinder will not work at all
Lying_Cak3 #244
Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:18 PM
Love the tunnel digger program has made making rail ways a lot easier :D/>

Thank you gor the great work.
databrain #245
Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:41 PM
Man, this is cool.
Croft3r #246
Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:48 PM
I have been using this for a while but i have been getting an error with it. The turtle will sometimes loose its position and start again. I have only had this happen to me about 3 or 4 times in the past month. I think it may have something to do with my chunk loader (chicken chunks) not working right. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?
Henness #247
Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:29 PM
NEW UPDATE v3.1!
Hey everyone It's been almost a year but I fixed all know bugs with my OreFinder program except for one.

Just make sure if you exit the program that you should reboot the computer before continuing any excavations.

Known Bug:
When the turtle program is exited, opened back up, and resumed from the save file at hand. The Whole excavation area is moved one to four blocks too the left or right depending on what row its on, It also is still able to return to the chest and and empty its inventory even though its excavating the wrong area. But if the computer is rebooted instead then the excavation continues normally.
Zaflis #248
Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:18 AM
I noticed that you have "enderchest dropoff" still in planned features. I could let you copy some code or look hints from my orequarry program.

Basically you'll need 2 enderchests, slot 15 chest full of charcoal, and chest in slot 16 will take all the loot to your sorting system. I keep stone in slot 1 for ore comparison (non stone == "ore"), so it empties slots 2..14. You can call doEmpty() anywhere within the quarry loop and it will do everything for you. Well.. 1 thing it won't do, is an extremely rare case that you would have a dungeon chest above your turtle. Then it will just report error and try empty again after your turtle has moved a bit. I detect last 2 slots instead of 1 because there are ores that can give 2 kinds of things at the time, such as quartz, or of course dungeon chests that your program should suck in.
http://pastebin.com/JaJQcv4q
function empty()
  print("Emptying inventory...")
  while turtle.detectUp() do
    if not turtle.digUp() then
	  break
    end
  end
  turtle.select(16) -- Select ender chest for placing
  if not turtle.placeUp() then
    print("Error placing ender chest")
    return
  end 
  for i=2,14 do
    turtle.select(i)
    turtle.dropUp()
  end
  turtle.select(16)
  turtle.digUp()
  print("Emptying finished")
end
function doEmpty()
  if (turtle.getItemCount(13) > 0) or (turtle.getItemCount(14) > 0) then
    empty()
  end
end
Henness #249
Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:40 AM
-snip-

Yea It would be fairly simple but I need to modify my gui program to ask them if they want to use ender chests. Its a little more work but i'll see if I can get to work on it :P/>
Edited on 18 January 2014 - 10:43 AM
stuffedparrot #250
Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:12 PM
Nice to see you back! Excellent program, I use it all the time.

Now that you've updated your orefinder, any thoughts to updating/improving your tunnel program?

Right now, say you're mining 12h x 9w x 9d tunnel. it digs up a line, digs forward one, then starts it's left-to-right progression of the actual user-designated tunnel. Once it's hit the bottom right, it goes all the way back to the left, then all the way to the top to start the next row of left-to-right digging.

Have you considered setting it so that it won't waste fuel after it's first full "row" by returning to the top left, it either just goes up to top right, or starting the next row from bottom right?

I'm probably explaining it poorly!
Henness #251
Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:14 AM
-snip-

I have considered updating my Tunnel program. But I personally think I need to start over with it, or at least replace a lot of the code.

But that's a lot of work, I'll add it to my list of things to do. I don't know when I'll get to it.
Xenic #252
Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:46 PM
Any chance you are planning to update your Advanced Tunnel program?
MrSpencerRecor #253
Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:00 PM
Problem with saving program : Orefinder one when i save for example Big Mine: it keeps asking me for cords, i put in cords, than it turns and asks me if im sure i want to excavate , then asks me for cords again, so it's like a never ending process when it asks me for cords.
Aylin94 #254
Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:40 PM
-snip-

I have considered updating my Tunnel program. But I personally think I need to start over with it, or at least replace a lot of the code.

But that's a lot of work, I'll add it to my list of things to do. I don't know when I'll get to it.

Are you still planning to work on the tunnel? Mainly the item drop off.