This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Minesoft's profile picture

Need developers to create OS

Started by Minesoft, 24 March 2013 - 03:05 AM
Minesoft #1
Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:05 AM
So far on the development of the operating system do just me. The operating system is very interesting, but the development will be long, with no outside help. So I'm looking for developers, well, even if it is one that will accelerate the process of creating the OS.
Skills required:
1. Lua on a high level
2. ability to Use GitHub
Just welcomed Russian language :)/>

GitHub link: ComputerCraft-Squartus

If you want to participate in the project, write a personal message.

Old version of my os: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/10870-squartus-1014-alpha-very-interesting-os/

Translate with Google
SuicidalSTDz #2
Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:11 AM
Is this a REAL OS with its own Bios, or is it just a graphical shell?
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:13 AM
By the looks of that GitHub repo…. graphical shell…
SuicidalSTDz #4
Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:16 AM
Meh, I have my own Graphical Shell to work on! If it were a real OS I might be intersected (Lol wut? Intersected?)
Minesoft #5
Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:14 AM
Meh, I have my own Graphical Shell to work on! If it were a real OS I might be intersected (Lol wut? Intersected?)
See this topic:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/10870-squartus-1014-alpha-very-interesting-os/
SuicidalSTDz #6
Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:17 AM
EN: Hi! Today I would like to share my OS. This OS very interesting. It has a very interesting API! But it has a bad looking desktop, because I don't have much time.

All I see is API, not Bios. If it has its own Bios then it is in fact an OS. If it does not, well, then it is just a graphical shell.
Minesoft #7
Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:41 AM
Lol, in real computer bios load first sector of hard disk, witch contain OS loader code. I'm talking about the API which helps to communicate with the OS itself. For example: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Windows_API And please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/API

This operating system runs all the programs in a separate thread. Now I'm working hard to deny access to features that can harm the OS, and the OS should work can not handle.
gamax92 #8
Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:45 AM
No SuicidalSTDz, an OS does not contain the bios.
The computer boots to the bios which boots another program, being the CraftOS shell.

Just like in real computers, the computer boots to the bios which boots the HDD MBR, a progam.
Lyqyd #9
Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:49 AM
Moved to General.
Mailmanq! #10
Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:50 AM
The computer boots to the bios which boots another program, being the CraftOS shell.

Just like in real computers, the computer boots to the bios which boots the HDD MBR, a progam.
You can't have programs without an operating system…
gamax92 #11
Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:52 AM
If the operating system itself is not a program, then what is it? Magical fairy dust that somehow runs executable code?
The operating system is infact a program. It runs other programs. Just like the bios itself is also a program. It is executable code as well, not magical fairy dust.
If the operating system was not a program, then the bios would have nothing to boot.
Minesoft #12
Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:59 AM
Here as a theme created in order to get help to develop the OS.
SuicidalSTDz #13
Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

When did I say it contained a bios? I said It must have its own bios to be considered an OS. Read posts more thoroughly before stating invalid facts.

This thread is off topic. Let's all revive it and deal with the matter at hand.
Minesoft #14
Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:13 AM
Windows doesn't have own bios… For example…
Minesoft #15
Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:18 AM
I rented the impression that there are only able to discuss and criticize, but help can not.
SuicidalSTDz #16
Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:18 AM
Windows does not have a bios, correct.

BIOS is part of the hardware of your computer and is separate from the operating system

With this being said, CraftOS is the OS, the bios runs CraftOS. If you are going to make an OS for CC, it is not an OS unless it either loads off CC's bios or has its own bios

Lets stop with this nonsense and stick with the matter at hand: Minesoft's OS/Graphical Shell
Minesoft #17
Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:06 AM
CraftOS not be replaced by another, so that it can be taken as a bios. And
CraftOS you start trying to run the file startup, which will run Squartus
theoriginalbit #18
Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:12 PM
Yes it can. if you replace the bios and have it run your own oses files instead of shell……. done.
SuicidalSTDz #19
Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:27 PM
Yes it can. if you replace the bios and have it run your own oses files instead of shell……. done.
os.run({},yourOSFile) instead of os.run({},"rom/programs/shell")
theoriginalbit #20
Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:33 PM
Thats what I was saying, it requires modifying the bios….. I'm on your side here dude!
SuicidalSTDz #21
Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:39 PM
Thats what I was saying, it requires modifying the bios….. I'm on your side here dude!
I was just expanding on what you said. I'm on your side too dude! ^_^/>
Minesoft #22
Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:23 AM
While you discuss, I have almost completed work on my OS. Thank you. You are very helpful(in a bad way).
SuicidalSTDz #23
Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:57 AM
Thank you. You are very helpful.
Why thank you ^_^/>

Sarcasm Aside: If you are alsmost done with your OS, then why did you need help?
Sammich Lord #24
Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:02 AM
After looking at your code… why do you have multiple files calling files that call files? You have one file that dofiles a file then that file dofiles another file and so on. What is the point of that?
Minesoft #25
Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:30 AM
After looking at your code… why do you have multiple files calling files that call files? You have one file that dofiles a file then that file dofiles another file and so on. What is the point of that?
It is easier to manage code. All code is in the folder squartus, the code that is out of this folder, I pay less attention.