This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Xenith116's profile picture

Laptops (Just trying to help)

Started by Xenith116, 02 April 2013 - 09:29 AM
Xenith116 #1
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:29 AM
I know that laptops have been suggested WAAYYY too many times already, but I went ahead and created a computercraft style laptop model in techne that could be implemented into minecraft. Just trying to help. I think it would be very cool to have something like this in a future update of computercraft.

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/441zpqy4vt53b1e/Laptop.zip

Cloudy #2
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:49 AM
Nah. PDA's will be our portable computer of choice. However, it is a nice model, and thank you for going through the effort to make it.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:50 AM
Gotta say. thats one nice looking model :P/> no individual keys tho :(/> :P/>
Sammich Lord #4
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:12 PM
Add the TAB key then I will love this model :P/>
SuicidalSTDz #5
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:14 PM
Umm, are we sure about PDA's? That is a pretty nice model! Especially if it opens and closes… :3 Good work, you should definately make an addon using this!
Shnupbups #6
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:19 PM
Love that model! At first I thought this topic would be; "Yawn, another n00b suggesting things that have been suggested SOO many times…" but my reaction when I saw that model was more like; "Errmahgerd taht be orzum me wantz it nao!".

That pretty much sums up everything I have to say in this topic.
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:20 PM
Love that model! At first I thought this topic would be; "Yawn, another n00b suggesting things that have been suggested SOO many times…" but my reaction when I saw that model was more like; "Errmahgerd taht be orzum me wantz it nao!".

That pretty much sums up everything I have to say in this topic.
I had the same feeling on seeing the title :P/>
SuicidalSTDz #8
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:23 PM
"Errmahgerd taht be orzum me wantz it nao!".
*SuicidalSTDz walks away slowly*

On topic: Same feeling too. THought it was someone suggesting laptops again. I have to say, my opinion on the PDA vs. Laptop war has changed…
Cloudy #9
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:36 PM
Unlike the rest of you, I can't be bought with flashy models. Can you use a laptop with no surface to put it on? Not easily.
Kingdaro #10
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:45 PM
Cloudy has a point. As nice as a laptop would be (and I mean that looks REALLY nice), it's just not as portable as a PDA-type device, and it could only function as a normal computer, since you can't really make it float in mid-air.

Wouldn't object to a peripheral for this, though.
Shnupbups #11
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:55 PM
How about you right click with it on a block to 'place it down' and it automatically opens the GUI. When you close the GUI, it will break and pop out as an item again (with everything still on there, of course). That way it could be portable, but still need a block to mount it on. Then PDAs would be more expensive but not need a block.
SuicidalSTDz #12
Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:56 PM
Cloudy does have a point. If we are going for portability, then PDA's will have to be the choice since laptops must be placed. That is, unless it opens up in your hands.
Dlcruz129 #13
Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:28 PM
That's a damn nice model! Shame it didn't help change cloudy's mind.
Xenith116 #14
Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:32 PM
I tried to create a mod for computercraft using this, but I couldn't because I don't have the source code.
Xenith116 #15
Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:38 PM
Especially if it opens and closes…

I had an idea that it should open if there is a player in close proximity to it, and close if the player walks away, sort of like how an enchanting table works.
SuicidalSTDz #16
Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:43 PM
That would be pretty cool. You should definately make an addon for this. You are very talented, do not let this talent go to waste!
Xenith116 #17
Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:47 PM
That would be pretty cool. You should definately make an addon for this. You are very talented, do not let this talent go to waste!

Like I said, I tried to, but trying to decompile the obfuscated code proved fruitless. I would need the mod developer's permission to try anything.
zekesonxx #18
Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:56 PM
You could make it with JavaCraft instead of ComputerCraft.
Xenith116 #19
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:05 PM
I think regular computers, laptops, and pdas all have their upsides and downsides.

Pro:
Computer- Most peripherals
Laptop- Portability, Saves information when moves
PDA- Can open without placing down

Con:
Computer- Deletes information on move
Laptop- Limited Connectability (Can only connect out the rear facing side)
PDA- Rednet only, no wired connections
Xenith116 #20
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, but that mod is not as nearly developed and polished as computercraft is.
Dlcruz129 #21
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

So tiin and I aren't the only people who know about JC!

(Also check out pr1, it was just released)
SuicidalSTDz #22
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

(Also check out pr1, it was just released)
I know about JavaCraft :P/>
Tiin57 #23
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:15 PM
Whoa.
I love the enthusiasm towards Javacraft, but don't stray off topic.
This was a beautiful model! However, it seems like wasted effort, because laptops don't make sense.
Perhaps if computers required power, they would. But they don't. So…
Kingdaro #24
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:22 PM
Whoa.
I love the enthusiasm towards Javacraft, but don't stray off topic.
This was a beautiful model! However, it seems like wasted effort, because laptops don't make sense.
Even then, PDAs still fill that battery-operated void.
Xenith116 #25
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

Frankly, I couldn't even get minecraft to launch with JC installed, though I does sound cool as my primary coding language is java.
SuicidalSTDz #26
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:40 PM
Whoa.
Everything in CC doesn't use power <_</> It should, but it doesn't.. Maybe a redstone block next to the computer? Nah, Cloudy would deny it in seconds :P/>
Xenith116 #27
Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:43 PM
I'm not saying laptops should replace PDAs in their function, I just thought it could add an extra aesthetic to computercraft.
Cloudy #28
Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:50 PM
Eh, not a big fan of entire new blocks added "just because it looks nice". And seriously guys, advertising a competing mod in this thread just because I said no to this? Not cool.
Xenith116 #29
Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:18 PM
I'm not saying it should be implemented into the main mod, but perhaps as an addon instead?
Cloudy #30
Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:26 PM
To make an addon would require access to parts of the code not in our API - and we don't allow that.
Tiin57 #31
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:50 PM
Eh, not a big fan of entire new blocks added "just because it looks nice". And seriously guys, advertising a competing mod in this thread just because I said no to this? Not cool.
Cloudy, I'm sorry. (Not my fault, but I do apologize for it.)
Sebra #32
Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:20 AM
Eh, not a big fan of entire new blocks added "just because it looks nice".
It can be some combination with monitors. Small Laptop's screen can be shown in world. Combined with ability to use keyboard without GUI it is quite a good reason to add such block. Can be first step to PDA.
Cloudy #33
Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:41 AM
We're not adding a new block ID just for something that would have no use next to PDA's. That would be absolutely stupid, and it doesn't offer anything different than a computer.
Xenith116 #34
Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:10 AM
I created a mod that implements the laptop model into the game. Obviously it doesn't function like a computer since I don't have access to the code for it. I'm not going to put a download link yet because currently there is some random conflict with optifine.

Re: Yay, finally got it to work with optifine!

Xenith116 #35
Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:56 AM
Here's the download link for anyone that wants it. It should be fully compatible with CC. The temporary crafting recipe for the laptop is one diamond anywhere in the crafting area.

Link: removed by AfterLifeLochie for MC 1.5.1 w/ MCForge

SuicidalSTDz #36
Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:16 AM
Eh, not a big fan of entire new blocks added "just because it looks nice".
It can be some combination with monitors. Small Laptop's screen can be shown in world. Combined with ability to use keyboard without GUI it is quite a good reason to add such block. Can be first step to PDA.
Cloudy has obviously stated his feeling torwards Laptops. Let's stop harassing him to add something when he has already made up his mind. I would hate to see this thread get locked. Honestly, it should be moved to General since it is no longer a suggestion, but a mod/addon type deal.

Here's the download link for anyone that wants it. It should be fully compatible with CC. The temporary crafting recipe for the laptop is one diamond anywhere in the crafting area.

Like I said, You have an amazing talent. Don't waste it. Also, since you don't have access to the source code, I presume you or someone else will have to write a bios for the laptops to boot of of? Or can you hook into CC's bios? Not a java fanatic like others, so I don't know how that works..
Xenith116 #37
Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:22 AM
I don't want to pester Cloudy about this, I just wish he would give me a chance to develop this myself as a side to computercraft. But, the developers want to keep the source code under lock and key, which is understandable.
SuicidalSTDz #38
Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:27 AM
It takes alot to earn trust with the devs. It is, like you said, very understandable. I doubt the source code will ever be released, for obvious reasons.
Jarle212 #39
Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:58 AM
I don't want to pester Cloudy about this, I just wish he would give me a chance to develop this myself as a side to computercraft. But, the developers want to keep the source code under lock and key, which is understandable.

Well you could try accessing methodes from the mod and make it so it make a new virtual computer that is accessable from the new block
Xenith116 #40
Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Well you could try accessing methodes from the mod and make it so it make a new virtual computer that is accessable from the new block

Yeah, but without unobfuscated code to compile with, I'd basically be coding in the dark.
Cloudy #41
Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:15 AM
This has gone way off topic. Bye thread.