This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Ninjawolf0007's profile picture

Turtle Challenge Re-did

Started by Ninjawolf0007, 02 April 2013 - 03:56 PM
Ninjawolf0007 #1
Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:56 PM
Updated to 1.6.4

Teams are welcome(no maximum size!)

USE A NON-MODIFIED VERSION OF COMPUTERCRAFT!
Fuel consumption = On

Hey everyone. I've noticed this had died but, I just want to know if anyone actually made it far enough to submit something.
Also, from now on you will need to use the Direwolf20 mod pack in the Feed The Beast launcher, as that is what's easiest for many player to deal with seeing as there's no block id's to deal with or anything.

Important:
-The player can only place 3 turtles and you can only supply those turtles with fuel.Everything else must be mined.
- As of teams; Two player teams, each person can only place 2 turtles. A team consisting of three or more people, each player can only place one turtle.
-All of the other turtles have to be automatically placed.
-You can place as many computers and monitors as you want.
-If you work in a team, all of the team members must be given credit and must agree that they are on a team. If one person on a team does the majority of the work, they will be given full credit. The rest of the team will be disqualified.
-One person can be on no more than one team.

Your Goal: To build turtles and automatic systems to "eat"(demolish) the world and anything in their path.

How you do it: In the beginning you can give yourselfone mining turtle.

Rules:
#01 Only the Turtles can gather any resources.
#02 Automated assembly of items(I.e. turtles) is quite necessary if you don't wanna do the work.
#03 After your first 3 turtles, all other turtles need to be automatically placed and started without the player interacting.
#04 Turtles must be fueled at all times.

#05 You can use any resources to your advantage. Even programming(you have to credit source/original author or where you got it)… But it is a competition, so you might want to keep some of it secret.
#06 Turtles must also keep the player safe from monsters. (Or just light up your area really good…)
#07 You must play with mobs. (Easy/Normal/Hard modes)
#08 You must submit all of the code that you use, and it needs to be error free.
#09 Partial builds are now welcome, as long as you don't use them and cheat.
#10 All buildings, besides your first house, must be made by the turtles.
No Tunnel Boring Machine's or Quarries from other mods can be used. Only turtles are allowed to gather resources. But that being said, you can have automated smelting/production of turtles.

Description:
Make a system using turtles from Computercraft that can mine resources and drop them off then the resources need to be automatically crafted into more turtles that go out and do the same, but a question is stirring in your mind… How do they get fuel and refuel themselves? That's for you to decide and they need to be placed and started up without the player doing anything. Think you can do it? Try it, it's only called success if you've failed before. Expect to get stuck and frustrated, it makes success more meaningful. If you need help feel free to ask for it. Don't be afraid of asking, it's goes a long way.

Original Idea of this: http://www.computerc...62-competition/
World Download: http://www.mediafire...obvd0v9/RTS.zip
Mod Downloads
SpoilerFeed The Beast Launcher: http://www.feed-the-beast.com/

Once you download the zip open the file and place the "RTS" folder in your saves and then startup minecraft. The world name is "Replicating Turtle Swarm".

I grant permission to everyone to make videos, post pictures, really everything. Videos and pictures are encouraged and maybe your picture will be put up here for everyone to see. Post, either a link to your videos/pictures, or post them here on this forum thread so we don't have to go hunting for them.

Please ask question if you're stuck I don't want people to get frustrated by not being able to make something work which is also why I personally suggest teams for this challenge.
Edited on 28 March 2014 - 03:48 PM
McModder2 #2
Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:45 PM
0.o wow…
Tjakka5 #3
Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:58 AM
Hm, I feel like doing this, however…
By not having a quarry to gather resources, does this only count for the ground?
So I could have, for example, a forestry tree farm to farm wood?
Sorroko #4
Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:14 AM
The original challenge is a lot tougher…
You say I can place any turtle? And that the player can provide it materials? In that case I'll place a crafty turtle and give it all the materials it needs.

You should be more strict on the rules, and if you're so sure it will never be done, the why not offer a prize? ;)/>
aaa #5
Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:12 AM
Be more precise on the ect of "no quarry, tunnel machine ect."
Does that means that any automatized system have to be turtled only?
Ninjawolf0007 #6
Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:23 AM
Hm, I feel like doing this, however…
By not having a quarry to gather resources, does this only count for the ground?
So I could have, for example, a forestry tree farm to farm wood?
Edited, it's for everything. Does the edit make more sense?

The original challenge is a lot tougher…
You say I can place any turtle? And that the player can provide it materials? In that case I'll place a crafty turtle and give it all the materials it needs.

You should be more strict on the rules, and if you're so sure it will never be done, the why not offer a prize? ;)/>
You can place up to 4 turtles. You can only fuel the first 4. I don't know what to offer… that's why I'm not offering anything.
Does my edit make it harder now? I will re-upload the links to the correct file within 24 hours. As of June 23rd 2013 6:45 pm
Be more precise on the ect of "no quarry, tunnel machine ect."
Does that means that any automatized system have to be turtled only?
Yes, turtles only, does the edit I made make more sense?
Ninjawolf0007 #7
Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:15 AM
I do hope that this is going good for everyone and I hope it's a good challenge. I am am also looking forward to see if anyone is going to post pictures or videos, and I hope people could help spread the word about this. Thank you so much for downloading this and trying it out!!!! -Ninjawolf0007

Edit(June 23rd 2013 8:55 pm) Made a pretty important re-write to quite a fair portion of the competition in general, please take your time and re-read it all so you know what's been changed. Again, please post suggestions for the challenge especially for either making it harder(starting without a chest?) Or making a harder version. - Ninjawolf0007

P.S. Have fun and good luck!
nutcase84 #8
Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:58 PM
I recommend using Vanilla minecraft + Not Enough Items + Chicken Chunks (same author as NEI) + Inventory Tweaks + Computercraft(most updated version) + Optifine(if needed mostly for slower computers*Use standard edition*)

How do I have vanilla and mods? Vanilla means Minecraft with no mods.
Ninjawolf0007 #9
Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:52 PM
I recommend using Vanilla minecraft + Not Enough Items + Chicken Chunks (same author as NEI) + Inventory Tweaks + Computercraft(most updated version) + Optifine(if needed mostly for slower computers*Use standard edition*)

How do I have vanilla and mods? Vanilla means Minecraft with no mods.

I will change that. Haha sorry about that. It's nice to get feedback because it let's me see how the community feels about a certain idea and it also lets me see the things I've overlooked.

Edit: Better?

Again, thanks for pointing that out.
-Ninjawolf0007
McModder2 #10
Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:33 PM
Did this die? I'm still having issues finding diamonds… I think I'm going to edit my mining program for level 20 and below… I hope people are having better luck than I am. Will this get updated to 1.6.x?
Ninjawolf0007 #11
Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:36 PM
Did this die? Will this get updated to 1.6.x?

No, or at least I hope it's not a dead topic… and, yes soon I will update the map to 1.6.2(unless another version comes out soon…)