This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
robert5129's profile picture

coolOS

Started by robert5129, 02 April 2013 - 08:44 PM
robert5129 #1
Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:44 PM
i made my own os.
it's called coolOS.
it's for a advanced computer
it's verry beta but here it is.
you use this on the insternet http://pastebin.com/N0TBBF0j
or just type in a advanced computer "pastebin get N0TBBF0j installer"
things that work
-password works
-login works
-right click works
-start works
-screensaver works
-qwerty type works

if any one has ideas what i can add tell me please
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:45 PM
Two words: Screenshots please.
robert5129 #3
Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:59 PM
how do i paste in screenshots?
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:04 PM
how do i paste in screenshots?
take a screenshot and upload it to an image hosting service of your choice (such as imgur)
edit the post and you will see on the tool bar a little button that looks like an image… click it and follow the instructions.
robert5129 #5
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:17 PM
here it is
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:21 PM
cool…. ( see what I did there? :P/> )

Its good to see that you haven't followed and/or directly followed tutorials like most others…
Can I suggest that you change the colour of "[start]" to white, will make it easier to see on the dark blue :)/>
robert5129 #7
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:22 PM
that doesn't look good original it was white
Kingdaro #8
Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:53 PM
What about light blue?

It looks great, by the way.
robert5129 #9
Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:48 AM
that may look good let's see
robert5129 #10
Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:49 AM
yeah that looks great
Spongy141 #11
Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:23 PM
Wait shouldn't this be in General or (not many people like it in here though) Programs?
EDIT: 150 Post :P/>
Dlcruz129 #12
Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:38 PM
Wait shouldn't this be in General or (not many people like it in here though) Programs?
EDIT: 150 Post :P/>

It is a program, therefore it belongs in programs.
NDFJay #13
Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:52 PM
This is pretty sweet looking, good job ^_^/>

– slightly off topic –
Its good to see that you haven't followed and/or directly followed tutorials like most others…

I hope you aren't referring to all the people that have been following my tutorial series :P/> haha I saw the massive clime in OS's that all look the same since then lol
SuicidalSTDz #14
Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:32 PM
I hope you aren't referring to all the people that have been following my tutorial series :P/> haha I saw the massive clime in OS's that all look the same since then lol
Yeah.. I'm guessing he is referring to that.. Nice tutorial btw :P/>

Main Post: The only problem I have with this OS is all the white space in the background. Make file icons or something of the sorts. Other than that, pretty nice.
theoriginalbit #15
Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:38 PM
I am indeed referring to that. OSes have tripled since you made the tutorial and they all look like yours :P/> and they all come to Ask a Pro with a problem first :P/>
Good tutorial tho.
Dlcruz129 #16
Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:41 PM
This is pretty sweet looking, good job ^_^/>

– slightly off topic –

You're back! Yep, this is all your fault. :P/>
SuicidalSTDz #17
Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:48 AM
theoriginalbit, on 11 April 2013 - 06:38 PM said:
I am indeed referring to that. OSes have tripled since you made the tutorial and they all look like yours :P/>/> and they all come to Ask a Pro with a problem first :P/>/
I haven't seen this OP in Ask A Pro, yet. So he obviously knows what he is doing, to an extent.
NDFJay #18
Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:31 AM
I am indeed referring to that. OSes have tripled since you made the tutorial and they all look like yours :P/> and they all come to Ask a Pro with a problem first :P/>
Good tutorial tho.
Yeah I sort of saw them triple and thats why I never completed the series haha, I dont know why they dont just ask me for help lol, a lot of other do haha

right enough of hijacking this thread, back on topic haha
theoriginalbit #19
Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:33 AM
Yeah I sort of saw them triple and thats why I never completed the series haha
Worst idea ever! Should have just finished the series so at least we would have complete / better OSes…
NDFJay #20
Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:45 AM
Yeah I sort of saw them triple and thats why I never completed the series haha
Worst idea ever! Should have just finished the series so at least we would have complete / better OSes…

All I had left to do on the series was add a clock and make the control panel lol, you might hate me when I start the new one mwahahaha, im going all out using tables, arrays, a multitude of events, roaming profiles, dynamic timed changing desktop backgrounds, dragable icons, the whole lot :P/> prepare for an OS flooded ask a pro section of OS's all looking the same haha.

right serious now, back on topic, I feel bad lol
theoriginalbit #21
Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:53 AM
im going all out using tables, arrays, a multitude of events, roaming profiles, dynamic timed changing desktop backgrounds, dragable icons, the whole lot :P/>
The day you start using arrays, is the day I stop helping.
Jappards #22
Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:27 AM
when i use this i get the error:
paintutils:92:attempt to get length of nil.
Jappards #23
Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:03 AM
im going all out using tables, arrays, a multitude of events, roaming profiles, dynamic timed changing desktop backgrounds, dragable icons, the whole lot :P/>
The day you start using arrays, is the day I stop helping.

i like using arrays a LOT, i use arrays in (almost) every script, so if you need some help with arrays, i could help if you want to.
theoriginalbit #24
Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:58 PM
i like using arrays a LOT, i use arrays in (almost) every script, so if you need some help with arrays, i could help if you want to.
No, no you don't… You use Tables, not Arrays, there is a difference. Thank you for the offer to help but I use tables several times in each and everyone of my programs and apis, and have extensive knowledge and use frequently list data structures in my everyday life.
The purpose of what I stated was to be joking and meaning "NDFJay if you are going to start using arrays in a language that doesn't have arrays, I will stop helping.".
NDFJay #25
Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:09 PM
No, no you don't… You use Tables, not Arrays, there is a difference. Thank you for the offer to help but I use tables several times in each and everyone of my programs and apis, and have extensive knowledge and use frequently list data structures in my everyday life.
The purpose of what I stated was to be joking and meaning "NDFJay if you are going to start using arrays in a language that doesn't have arrays, I will stop helping.".

haha ToB we could of played it off and seen how far it could go :P/> then again maybe that wouldnt of been the nicest thing to do lol
Jappards #26
Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:47 AM
OT:
if you say that arrays and tables arent the same, what is the difference between an array and a table?
theoriginalbit #27
Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:51 AM
if you say that arrays and tables arent the same, what is the difference between an array and a table?
Arrays | Tables
Basically if we were comparing Tables to a data structure in Java, you can think of it as a List and Dictionary implemented through use of a HashMap. An array is only index/value, tables can be index/value and key/value.
Lyqyd #28
Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:56 AM
No. Stop making silly made-up distinctions. Tables are arrays. Lua 5.1 Reference Manual:

The type table implements associative arrays, that is, arrays that can be indexed not only with numbers, but with any value (except nil).
Kingdaro #29
Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:03 AM
Tables *can be arrays. They aren't just arrays, but dictionaries, and lua provides utiliies that allow array-like behavior.
Lyqyd #30
Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:51 AM
No, tables are arrays. They are a subset known as associative arrays.

Either way though, we're arguing over a relatively silly distinction, but the point that I wanted to make is that it's not acceptable to try to troll other members (especially newer or less experienced members) with silly distinctions between arrays and tables. This isn't middle school, guys. The post about "No, you don't use arrays, you use tables!" earlier in the thread comes across like some sixth grader that just got someone to say "Under where?" and is now being a jackass about it. Essentially, I don't care whether or not you agree with the definition of array or whether Lua's tables are or aren't arrays. I just don't want to see that kind of thing being done to newer members. That is not what this community is about.