This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
The_Awe35's profile picture

What do you make programs for?

Started by The_Awe35, 03 April 2013 - 03:56 AM
The_Awe35 #1
Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:56 AM
A while ago, I saw you guys talk about what your favorite coding language was, and that got me thinking. So what do you use them for? I mean, not everyone is making a website or making a game, so what are some everyday applications of coding?
Sammich Lord #2
Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:05 AM
I normally just program to solve everyday problems. Instead of pulling up a calculator I just go into a Lua prompt, Python prompt or Node prompt and just do simple math :P/>
Dabble #3
Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:15 AM
I've only ever got around to creating tiny scripts for deleting temp files, updating the hosts file and copying certain files to the home server every now and then.

I tend to get frustrated with most programming languages because of their ugly syntaxes and quickly move on to something else.
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:17 AM
atm my 'everyday' programs are all for University, so they always end up being whatever is required. As for recreational programming, well, go check out my programs topic :P/>
Bubba #5
Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:34 AM
I make programs for the novelty and challenge of making them. I love making a program that can do something better than a human can, so even simple tasks like cleaning up a directory or searching a document for vocabulary terms is fun for me to write.
Shnupbups #6
Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:18 PM
I do what I must because I can.
SpoilerAnyway, this cake is GREAT, It's so delicious and moist!
Also because I like experimenting with different things, that's why I love my CCCC program so much.
ShadowedZenith #7
Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:36 AM
It all depends, really. For me, i'll write programs for tasks that I can't be bothered to do (something as simple as restarting a program that decides to stop working, or my own file managers for different things like inventorying all of my My Documents files), or, things that help me do things more efficiently (like my start menu for Windows 8 because, let's face it, the start screen isn't efficient because nothing is grouped or hideable D:).
QuantumGrav #8
Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:41 AM
More often than not I'm programming games in CC, but for everyday stuff, I program my phone and calculator to do the math I'm most often doing. I once had an algebra teacher who, if you could program your calculator to do it, would let the calculator solve the problem. A ton of algebra can be done by a calculator, so the final was a breeze!
Smiley43210 #9
Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:45 PM
I sometimes recreate applications that I use and think are missing features or have things in it that I don't need. Other times…an idea sparks in my head for an application, and, well, I try to make it. Things for automating repetitive tasks, automating irritating tasks, etc. Basically, I'll make something as it's needed. The only thing that I have created for the public was a plugin for Bukkit.