This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
BabyCodder's profile picture

[OS] [DISCONTINUED] Panes OS V1.2 - The Windows Of CC

Started by BabyCodder, 04 April 2013 - 05:19 AM
BabyCodder #1
Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:19 AM
THIS OS IS NO LONGER BEING PRODUCED! I HAVE MOVED ON TO ANOTHER OS LINKED BELOW!

(link coming soon)

=========================================================================================================

Hello There! I am Levi and I have started to make a operating system (OS)
This OS will include alot of applications and features. Currently… I have none….
I started this a few days ago and encountered allot of problems :)/>

AND GUESS WHAT! Unlike many! THERE IS NO FAKE LOADING SCREEN :D/> !!

Now, here is the needed information:

Downloading And Installing:

To get Panes you will need to have the HTTP feature enabled in the config files.
You will need to have a advanced computer to install the OS on.
You will have to type into the console "pastebin get GCX6hABn startup".
After this you will have to reboot the computer by either typing "reboot" or holding CTRL+R.
This will start to download other pastebin files to work the operating system.
After this you will be greeted by a bright orange screen that asks you for a new user name and a new password.
Click on the white next to the user name text, type your user name and press enter.
Click on the white next to the password text, type your password and press enter.
Click on the "CREATE" button to create your account.
You will be greeted by a similar looking screen that asks for a user name and password. This is the login screen.

Features:

-Buttons At Top Of Page.
-Logo.
-New Account Screen.
-Login Screen.
-Currently Useless Home Screen.
-Shutdown (QUIT) And Reboot Buttons. (QUIT is available on login screen and REBOOT is available on home screen)

Features Soon To Come:

-Settings Page.
-Firewolf Web App.
-Updated "Features Soon To Come" List :D/>

Stuff I would like to say:

I would like to say that this OS is not even close to done and I will be working on a frequently.
Any bugs or comments should be written bellow.
Thank you.

Please write your suggestions below as this is a pane for the people to look through!

Screenshots:
SpoilerNew User Screen:

Login Screen:

Home Screen:
svdragster #2
Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:21 AM
YES!!!! No fake loading screen :D/>

Btw could you highlight the download more, I could hardly find it
BabyCodder #3
Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:23 AM
YES!!!! No fake loading screen :D/>

Btw could you highlight the download more, I could hardly find it
Ok!
LBPHacker #4
Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:09 AM
Umm… About rebooting the computer… it's Ctrl+R. Ctrl+T will shut it down (if you're in the top-level Shell)…
BabyCodder #5
Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:19 AM
Umm… About rebooting the computer… it's Ctrl+R. Ctrl+T will shut it down (if you're in the top-level Shell)…
Woops. Also, CTRL+T Would just terminate it.
NeptunasLT #6
Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:22 AM
Welcome To pane's OS that's all what do i have…
User guide pls? :D/>
LBPHacker #7
Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:31 AM
Woops. Also, CTRL+T Would just terminate it.

Yeah - like I said (terminating the top-level Shell causes instant shutdown)
LBPHacker #8
Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

He said "no programs yet". That means no programs yet. You can register, log in, log out, shut down the computer (btw: build in a Reboot option!), and that's all for now.
NeptunasLT #9
Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

He said "no programs yet". That means no programs yet. You can register, log in, log out, shut down the computer (btw: build in a Reboot option!), and that's all for now.
This isn't the OS then that means this is just login system.
Cranium #10
Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:59 AM
This isn't the OS then that means this is just login system.
Essentially, yes. It's just a login system for now.
Kingdaro #11
Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:12 AM
It looks great, but I'm kind of tired of seeing the same old Login Screen > Desktop with a start menu OS "format". I'd like to see some people mix it up a little bit.
LBPHacker #12
Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:22 AM
Hey guys… After seeing too many "OS"es… (shouda used more 0x22's…) I call everything an OS that seems to going to be a real OS one day.

Of course, I can be hard. Yes, this is not an OS. I like to think of an OS (in the context of CC) as at least a modification in bios.lua that comes with loads of nice and yet-unseen features. From that approach, this is definitely not an OS.

Ehh… I'm gonna quit writing this comment right now cuz I don't want to start yet another argument about OSes - especially when I'd be actually on the side of those who say this isn't a real OS and still I'd be against the ones that say that.
BabyCodder #13
Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:24 AM
It looks great, but I'm kind of tired of seeing the same old Login Screen > Desktop with a start menu OS "format". I'd like to see some people mix it up a little bit.
Mix it up a little bit…. And how would I do that..?
BabyCodder #14
Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:26 AM
Hey guys… After seeing too many "OS"es… (shouda used more 0x22's…) I call everything an OS that seems to going to be a real OS one day.

Of course, I can be hard. Yes, this is not an OS. I like to think of an OS (in the context of CC) as at least a modification in bios.lua that comes with loads of nice and yet-unseen features. From that approach, this is definitely not an OS.

Ehh… I'm gonna quit writing this comment right now cuz I don't want to start yet another argument about OSes - especially when I'd be actually on the side of those who say this isn't a real OS and still I'd be against the ones that say that.

I know it isn't a OS yet. I totally agree in that manner. I just wanted to post this so I can hear what people think I should include.
BabyCodder #15
Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:52 AM
I have now added a reboot button. The pastebin link in the main post has been updated.
Kingdaro #16
Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:07 AM
I mean you don't have to, your OS is nice as-is, I'm only encouraging a little more creativity and breaking away from common ComputerCraft OS standards.
BabyCodder #17
Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:11 AM
I mean you don't have to, your OS is nice as-is, I'm only encouraging a little more creativity and breaking away from common ComputerCraft OS standards.
I get that. I'm asking how would you like me to spice it up a little?
Kingdaro #18
Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:28 AM
Perhaps, instead of desktop icons or a list of apps in a menu, you could have a horizontal line of scrollable icons that pops up on the press of a button?

Desktop widgets perhaps? Maybe a clock widget, or a redstone control panel widget. Possibly make them draggable.

A different kind of password. Instead of typing a word into a field, maybe you have to click a button at specific times? Or a password system like Android, where you "draw" it rather than type it.

You could take these word for word, or just have fun with it. See what you can do or come up with.

Of course these ideas aren't 100% original, though they still beat the same old desktop in my opinion.
svdragster #19
Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:29 AM
Make the OS more flexible. In the older version of KREOS you could change the text and background colour, which was pretty awesome. Of course this can cause bugs, but it's also fun removing bugs and having a challenge.
BabyCodder #20
Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:45 AM
Perhaps, instead of desktop icons or a list of apps in a menu, you could have a horizontal line of scrollable icons that pops up on the press of a button?

Desktop widgets perhaps? Maybe a clock widget, or a redstone control panel widget. Possibly make them draggable.

A different kind of password. Instead of typing a word into a field, maybe you have to click a button at specific times? Or a password system like Android, where you "draw" it rather than type it.

You could take these word for word, or just have fun with it. See what you can do or come up with.

Of course these ideas aren't 100% original, though they still beat the same old desktop in my opinion.
Well. These are really good idea. I like the widgets and the redstone control panel. After I'm done with the settings panel I'll get to it. I will also do the scrollable horizontal line.

Make the OS more flexible. In the older version of KREOS you could change the text and background colour, which was pretty awesome. Of course this can cause bugs, but it's also fun removing bugs and having a challenge.

You know what. I'm doing that after I do the settings and rs control panel. Thanks for the idea!
superaxander #21
Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:50 PM
Nice GUI
BabyCodder #22
Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:40 AM
Nice GUI
Thank you!
nutcase84 #23
Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:43 AM
This looks a lot like my OS… did you copy my OS? Good job BTW.
BabyCodder #24
Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:58 AM
This looks a lot like my OS… did you copy my OS? Good job BTW.
:D/> No I did not. Thanks for the comment!
djawesome456 #25
Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:03 AM
I have a little question about activating HTTP in the config files, how do i !
BabyCodder #26
Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:07 AM
I have a little question about activating HTTP in the config files, how do i !
Find your .minecraft folder. Search in google for that.
Go into your configs folder. There is a config called ComputerCraft. Open it with your preferred text editer.
Under "General:" there is "# Enable the "http" API on Computers" Replace 'false' with 'true'