This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
theoriginalbit's profile picture

Ask a Pro's Description

Started by theoriginalbit, 04 April 2013 - 10:54 PM
theoriginalbit #1
Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:54 AM
Ask A Pro. (Anyone is able to answer your question, though "Pro's" will be designated by a special label.

Is there and/or has there ever actually been anyone with the special label of "Pro"? I don't think I've ever seen one…
Lyqyd #2
Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:47 AM
I had it before becoming Moderator. I believe Espen and MysticT should still have it.

Edit: Nope. Looks like the group was removed.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:51 AM
I had it before becoming Moderator. I believe Espen and MysticT should still have it.

Edit: Nope. Looks like the group was removed.
Haha ok, thanks.
SuicidalSTDz #4
Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:20 PM
I thought the "Pro's" were 'Pro Coder' and up.. Or is that what it has come to since the removal of the Pro's group?
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:23 PM
I thought the "Pro's" were 'Pro Coder' and up.. Or is that what it has come to since the removal of the Pro's group?
No our title is different to the groups. Title means nothing. But the member group means everything. For example we are in 'Members', newbies are in 'New Members', banned people are in 'Banned', what Lyqyd said was there was a group (with 3 ppl in it :P/>) that had "Pro's" or "Lua Pro's" as their group title.
SuicidalSTDz #6
Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:27 PM
Oh, I see what you mean :P/> Why was the group ever removed then?
Dlcruz129 #7
Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:27 PM
Oh, I see what you mean :P/>/> Why was the group ever removed then?

My guess was the mods got tired of regulating who was considered a "pro" at Lua.
SuicidalSTDz #8
Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:09 AM
Well, let's see. Kingdaro, MysticT, Espen, Nitrogenfingers, YOU, TOBIT, remiX, Orwell, umm and some others..
Dlcruz129 #9
Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:03 AM
Well, let's see. Kingdaro, MysticT, Espen, Nitrogenfingers, YOU, TOBIT, remiX, Orwell, umm and some others..

Yes, but I have a feeling that would be hard to moderate.

Also, don't count yourself out, you're very good at Lua.
remiX #10
Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Spoiler

I remember seeing a few (2) people with the group 'Lua Pro's', which I haven't seen for quite a while…

The question is: What's the forums definition of 'Pro'?…
Lyqyd #11
Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:18 AM
It was mostly, "Don't be wrong," if I recall correctly. If the admins felt you had earned it, you got it. Now they've removed it, which is probably a good thing overall. It's too hard to keep track of who it's worth giving it to. My list would be a little shorter than the list above, since it's based on how effective the poster is at helping people in Ask a Pro. Correctness and quality of answers being key. Nitrogenfingers, for instance, is very good at Lua, but I don't think I've seen him in Ask a Pro very much (if at all!).

Anyway, this whole discussion is moot since the group was removed.
SuicidalSTDz #12
Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:48 AM
Also, don't count yourself out, you're very good at Lua.
Well golly, thanks you :3

Spoiler
That is quite something you found there..

Well, all my questions have been answered indirectly about this matter. I'm out!
Espen #13
Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:17 AM
In my case I actually still have the archived PM from Feb. 2012 that Casper sent me when he put me in that group:
I promoted you to Lua Pro's thank you for your help in the Ask a Pro section, keep up the good work!
So the reason for how one got put into that group: helping out.

Being in a separate group created a few technical problems for me though.
For example I once wasn't able to see the peripheral library even though it was visible for other members.
I think the problem was that new rights or modifications were only applied to the main "members" group per default.
So I'm quite happy that I'm not in a separate group anymore. And to be honest, the label "Pro" felt a bit uncomfortable.
That is, I'd never have given myself such a title as I have no way of comparing my competence, nor would I want to.
I was just trying to help out many people in the early days and the title-/group-name was supposed to make ComputerCraft neophytes know that members with such a designation might be able to help them.
But once more and more people populated the forums over the following months, more and more people were able to give a helping hand.

Btw. I also remember Advert getting into the group as well, which I thought was well deserved since he's done a lot to help, especially trying to generate structured content in the very beginning (e.g. the [topic='118']Codex of Error-Slaying[/topic]).
Lyqyd #14
Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:21 AM
I found that you were deserving of the title, especially in your mini-tutorial answers. You probably invested the most time in any given answer of anyone. But you've been around here longer than I have, so what do I know? :)/>
Dlcruz129 #15
Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:22 PM
Ask A Pro. (Anyone is able to answer your question, though "Pro's" will be designated by a special label.

It's missing an end parenthesis! :o/> :P/>