This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
theinsekt's profile picture

Remember blocks

Started by theinsekt, 05 April 2013 - 07:20 PM
theinsekt #1
Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:20 PM
My idea is to have brainy turtles.

Instead of a regular inventory this turtle has many remember slots where it can remember items. This way you don't have to have as many turtles dedicated to remembering/holding items, instead you have one or a few brainy turtles dedicated to that task. Compare etc. would work the same way as with regular turtles, the only difference is the remember slots.

(Another alternative is a brainy computer)

A new turtle function should then be added to get the number of slots in a turtles inventory.

Suggested recipe:

I=iron, D=diamond, C=computer

IDI
DCD
IDI

Brainy turtles would be even more useful if they could transmit the information wirelessly to other brainy turtles.

An even easier solution would be for the turtles to be able to get the id or the name of an item/block. But the devs don't like that…
Kilobyte #2
Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Instead of a regular inventory this turtle has many remember slots where it can remember items. This way you don't have to have as many turtles dedicated to remembering/holding items, instead you have one or a few brainy turtles dedicated to that task. Compare etc. would work the same way as with regular turtles, the only difference is the remember slots.

So you mean slots that contain ghot items without actually being usable? I don't think thats really needed, just always keep one item per slot. Its kinda a challenge sometimes, But to be honest: The challenges are the fun part of coding ;)/>
theinsekt #3
Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

So you mean slots that contain ghot items without actually being usable? I don't think thats really needed, just always keep one item per slot. Its kinda a challenge sometimes, But to be honest: The challenges are the fun part of coding ;)/>

Yes they would be ghost items, like in diamond pipes in buildcraft. The problem currently is that it's maybe to challenging. Most of the examples of auto-crafting and auto-sorting on youtube (all that I have seen) are very small and only work if you place the item in just the right slot and the chest in just the right spot. Basically the systems are very stupid and hard coded. With a little more high level tools (like a brainy turtle) it would be easier to make complex systems.

Currently you have to juggle the items. And if you accidentally middle click and sort a chest then you have to painstakingly replace them in the correct order again. What happens then is that people don't use turtles for auto-crafting and sorting, because it's easier to just use pipes.

I want pipes to be used for high throughput and turtles for complex tasks, but currently pipes are better for both of those.
Frederikam #4
Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:10 AM
That would be breaking the balance as well as the 4. wall! Why would you else think we don't have turtles returning block IDs? Or infinite rednet range? It's because of the challenge.
theinsekt #5
Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:00 AM
That would be breaking the balance as well as the 4. wall! Why would you else think we don't have turtles returning block IDs? Or infinite rednet range? It's because of the challenge.

Okay then just make it so the brainy turtles can only hold one of each item, but with more slots. Then the forth wall still stands.

I think it would be better to balance the turtles by making them compare slower or requiring energy than to have no (reasonable) way of comparing many blocks. Excessive juggling of items isn't very fun. :(/>

Of-topic (because devs don't like block ids): I don't fully accept your forth wall argument. Why is it breaking the forth wall to be able to measure properties of blocks in the world to determine what they are made of? In our universe we can measure the spectrum of light to find out what kind of atoms the light came from. Why wouldn't an in game spectrometer be able to do the same (determine what material a block is made of)? It's strange that in-game blocks have no measurable properties…
Kilobyte #6
Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:30 AM
basicly, what i like about cc is that cc doesn't make it easy. it offers basic stuff, but most part is up to you. Other mods just make stuff work too easily like bc with a quarry (i leave out rp, its similar to cc in this aspect). Also, with cc you have MUCh more control etc. now adding your thing would actually make it too easy. i would agree if something that does the same wouldn't be possible, but keeping one item is always a good possibility. so i don't see a real need
theinsekt #7
Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:02 AM
So you want 3 inventory slots on the turtles? because it fun when it's difficult.. To make a way for a turtle know what items it has in it inventory you would have to have a turtle pipe/swarm and pass the item along all the turtles until you find a match and then that turtle has to send back the item and send a rednet message saying what that item is. That is a very slow process. It is far to slow compared to what other things a turtle can do and what other mods can do. If you only need one brain turtle or a few then it's more reasonable.

of-topic: If you had basic sensors you still would have to make the programs to use the information. Without sensors the programs can't be very smart because they don't have any information to "think" with
Cranium #8
Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:16 AM
It's not going to happen. This falls under the block id detection and enhancements. With some clever scripting, and since I assume you are using a mod pack such as Tekkit or FTB, you can rely on other mods to get this done already.
We're not going to add this so it is easy, since the fun is figuring out how to do it with what tools you have.