This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ElvishJerricco's profile picture

Open Source CraftOS

Started by ElvishJerricco, 07 April 2013 - 11:59 AM
ElvishJerricco #1
Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:59 PM
I'm not asking for ComputerCraft to be open source. Just CraftOS. The lua code in the lua folder of ComputerCraft. I'm sure there's lots of things people would love to contribute to.
Sammich Lord #2
Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:01 PM
IIRC, Cloudy and Dan doesn't care what you do with the Lua. They only care about the Java code.
Cloudy #3
Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:09 PM
… wut. How do you mean?
Sammich Lord #4
Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:13 PM
… wut. How do you mean?
I think he wants to allow people to be able to modify CraftOS then you and Dan will be able to approve enhancements. If he means that then in my opinion it is pretty stupid.
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #5
Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:54 PM
You can simply edit the bios.lua file in the computercraft zip in the lua folder, that is the code of CraftOS
ElvishJerricco #6
Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:15 PM
ComputerCraft is quite a community. In my opinion, since CraftOS is pretty open already, it should be open sourced. I know players can edit it manually but then any changes made are not distributed to everyone and to servers whose bios.lua and other lua code can't be changed by players.
Dlcruz129 #7
Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:23 PM
ComputerCraft is quite a community. In my opinion, since CraftOS is pretty open already, it should be open sourced. I know players can edit it manually but then any changes made are not distributed to everyone and to servers whose bios.lua and other lua code can't be changed by players.

I'm not sure you understand the definition of open-source.
Sammich Lord #8
Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:25 PM
Open-source just means you can see the source, which you can. What you are asking for is the community to be able to add and remove things from CraftOS.
Dlcruz129 #9
Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:27 PM
Open-source just means you can see the source, which you can. What you are asking for is the community to be able to add and remove things from CraftOS.

Which is already possible.
Sammich Lord #10
Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

He wants the ability for people to code something then it be added to CraftOS. If you have read the posts before this he stated that he wants a change to be distributed to everybody not just the individual that made the change in the first place.
Tiin57 #11
Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

He wants the ability for people to code something then it be added to CraftOS. If you have read the posts before this he stated that he wants a change to be distributed to everybody not just the individual that made the change in the first place.
Which is also already possible. Look at npaintpro or whatever it's called (epitome of lazy, right here).
ElvishJerricco #12
Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:26 PM
Minecraft forge is an example of what I mean. It's open source. Yes, you can read the code. But you can also fork the repo and make a change and commit it to git. Next you submit a pull request. Then the owners of the repo check the request and decide if it gets into the official repo. CraftOS should be similar. If I think it'd be a nice change to have the edit program have a save as feature, I could code that and submit it. If Dan or Cloudy likes it, it gets in and is distributed on the next CC update. And the good people of the CC forums would all come up with great ideas that can be most effectively done (and possibly only done) through direct modification of the source files.
Cloudy #13
Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:27 PM
You mean open source in a repo. Was that so hard?

Anyway, maybe. Probably not.
ElvishJerricco #14
Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:37 PM
You mean open source in a repo. Was that so hard?

Anyway, maybe. Probably not.

Apologies. I made a mistake
Cranium #15
Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:38 AM
I forsee dan and cloudy furiously scrambling to deny thousands of pull requests…..
I can't see this ending well.
ElvishJerricco #16
Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:00 AM
I forsee dan and cloudy furiously scrambling to deny thousands of pull requests…..
I can't see this ending well.

I dunno. Most of the users of CC who are knowledgeable enough to use git probably know what qualifies as a good addition.
Engineer #17
Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:46 AM
As far as my opinion goes about this; that this shouldnt happen. I mean that means that on every startup it checks for an updated version, and if there are many contributors there may be at least one update per day.
Plus last time I checked the http is false by default.
Im not going to discuss my opinion, I just wanted to say this.
ElvishJerricco #18
Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:30 PM
As far as my opinion goes about this; that this shouldnt happen. I mean that means that on every startup it checks for an updated version, and if there are many contributors there may be at least one update per day.
Plus last time I checked the http is false by default.
Im not going to discuss my opinion, I just wanted to say this.

Well I figured CraftOS would only be updated in the mod once every time the mod updates. No auto-updating or anything.
Sammich Lord #19
Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:33 PM
What exactly would the community be able to do that the developers can't do? Also, what kind of additions do you think the community would add?
SuicidalSTDz #20
Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:01 PM
Well I figured CraftOS would only be updated in the mod once every time the mod updates. No auto-updating or anything.
Once again like every other suggestion, If the devs say no, let it be. There is no real need to discuss this any further. Edit CraftOS as you wish, just be aware it will not be added any time soon as far as I can tell.
Lyqyd #21
Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:33 AM
Don't backseat moderate. If we weren't okay with further discussion, this would already be locked.
SuicidalSTDz #22
Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:06 AM
Don't backseat moderate. If we weren't okay with further discussion, this would already be locked.
Sorry, got a bit carried away -_-/>
Spongy141 #23
Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:01 PM
Wait isn't craftOS really just something similar to command prompt (Windows), since its not really close to what a real OS is like, and more of a shell. So how could you have the source code of it?
Dlcruz129 #24
Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:48 PM
Wait isn't craftOS really just something similar to command prompt (Windows), since its not really close to what a real OS is like, and more of a shell. So how could you have the source code of it?

The source code is the code of the program. Every program has source code, whether it be an OS, shell, or something like MS Word.
Spongy141 #25
Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:50 PM
Yeah but you can easily find the "source code" for craftOS in its .zip folder.
SuicidalSTDz #26
Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

The source code is the code of the program. Every program has source code, whether it be an OS, shell, or something like MS Word.
To add on:

The source code is unreadable unless decompiled properly, which could take some time. If something is closed source, this means you must decompile it to see the source code. This is how people protect their material, as well as copyrights and licenses. But technically everything(mostly everything) is covered by copyrights once it is published. Wether it be thoughts, ideas, a script, etc. Anything that is not copyrighted is Public Domain. Meaning anyone is free to use it without citing the source. ComputerCraft is closed source to sum it all up. CraftOS is not, obviously.
Dlcruz129 #27
Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:09 PM
Yeah but you can easily find the "source code" for craftOS in its .zip folder.

Exactly.

snip

Nicely put.
LordIkol #28
Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:03 AM
if you want to share a great thing you put in the OS with the Community, go to the programs Section and put it there.
If people like they can implement it.

Greets
Loki
Lyqyd #29
Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:40 AM
There will not be a new subsection added for that any more than there will be a section added for OSs. Do not bug the admins about it.
LordIkol #30
Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:59 AM
good point Lyqyd i deleted this suggestion :D/>