This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Jappards's profile picture

making the beacon a peripheral

Started by Jappards, 14 April 2013 - 05:16 AM
Jappards #1
Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:16 AM
the beacon should be a peripheral, there would also be a beacon API.
some of the commands would be:

beacon.setBuff(buff,strenght)--would set the buff the beacon would send to players.
beacon.setRange(range)--would send the range in blocks, but the range can`t get further than the maximum of the piramid size.
beacon.toggle(boolean)--would toggle the beacon or set to true(beacon set to on)or false(beacon set to off)
beacon.toggleBeam(boolean)--would toggle the beam of the beacon, wouldn`t be able to be used in the nether.
beacon.toggleBuff(boolean)--would toggle the buff of the beacon
beacon.selectEffect(buff)--would select the buff of the beacon
Bubba #2
Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:38 AM
Why would you want to set the range to be less than default? I can see no situation in which that would be desirable.
Jappards #3
Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:49 AM
i know: on a server for PvP in an arena to set the range within the stadium you don`t want to make the range too big if the area around is also PvP and maybe you want to do that also in adventure maps.
Shnupbups #4
Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:28 PM
This seems like an interesting idea! I mean, Command Blocks are a peripheral, so why can't Beacons be?
SuicidalSTDz #5
Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:21 PM
I don't like the idea.. Mostly for the same reason Bubba stated.

Off topic: At first I thought this said 'Making the bacon a peripheral' which is why I clicked it..
Cranium #6
Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:01 PM
Terrible idea. I don't like it.
Jappards #7
Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:37 PM
you dont have to use this idea, why would you use it when you dont like the idea of making the beacon a peripheral?
theoriginalbit #8
Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:42 PM
I don't see the point to this really.

And I don't even think it would be possible to do any of these things, I haven't actually checked out the code for the beacon, but I would assume that Mojang would have made most of its internals private so that mods couldn't mess with it…
Bubba #9
Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:20 PM
I don't see the point to this really.

And I don't even think it would be possible to do any of these things, I haven't actually checked out the code for the beacon, but I would assume that Mojang would have made most of its internals private so that mods couldn't mess with it…

Same with the command block I believe. Didn't they have to use reflection to access the internal methods?
theoriginalbit #10
Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:22 PM
Same with the command block I believe. Didn't they have to use reflection to access the internal methods?
Hmmm maybe, I thought there were getters and setters for most of the command block features though. I could be wrong.
superaxander #11
Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:27 PM
I really think this idea is weird you can already enable and disable it with a piston or turtle. If you want it make peripheral for it I would say.
Left4Cake #12
Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:04 PM
I really think this idea is weird you can already enable and disable it with a piston or turtle. If you want it make peripheral for it I would say.

You could also enable a command block with redstones output, but as a peripheral it enable you to automatically swap out the command.

(not that I care on way or the other. I just like tossing what ever I know into the ring.)
Azzar #13
Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

You could also enable a command block with redstones output, but as a peripheral it enable you to automatically swap out the command.

(not that I care on way or the other. I just like tossing what ever I know into the ring.)

Adding any peripheral to the game is a good idea! You can wrap a command block which eliminates the need for 1000 command blocks in your map plus with the logic of a computer you can make the command blocks intelligent to a degree. You can wrap an Iron Note Block and play any midi file you have converted to nbs using Note Block Studio. You can wrap an Adventure Map Interface made by Immibis to mod the game pretty much in any way (eg. you can create any block in the game and place it and also change its meta values).
electrodude512 #14
Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:55 PM
Ask Mikeemoo to add this to Open Peripheral if you want to see it happen.
ScruffyRules #15
Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:11 AM
/effect?
Jappards #16
Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:44 AM
i already asked it to the mod developer from open peripheral, reaction:
Spoiler

Nice! I would like to suggest making the beacon a peripheral, there should also be a beacon API.

beacon.setBuff(buff,strenght)--would set the buff the beacon would send to players.
beacon.setRange(range)--would send the range in blocks, but the range can`t get further than the maximum of the piramid size.
beacon.toggle(boolean)--would toggle the beacon or set to true(beacon set to on)or false(beacon set to off)
beacon.toggleBeam(boolean)--would toggle the beam of the beacon, wouldn`t be able to be used in the nether.
and i also would like to suggest support to Ars Magica

I'll try patch some of this in as a remote update. Anything I can't do remotely will be added in the next code release.
D3matt #17
Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:21 PM
Toggle shouldn't be a boolean. Change the method to enableBeam or something less abmigious. A toggle is something that you can only change from one state to another. IE, togglebeam() would set it on of it was off and off if it was on.
1vannn #18
Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

There is a peripheral for this.
Pharap #19
Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:19 PM
I think it's on the way to being a good idea.

The advantage would be to have a moveable beacon.
Obviously as a side effect you would have to cut the range and the peripheral would have to be expensive to craft or require extra fuel to keep it powered, but I think it's a good idea.
Effectively it would make the turtle kind of like a companion casting support magic on you to aid you in battle.
There's already an attack turtle for fighting enemies, so surely a support turtle for invoking buffs makes some sense.
Jappards #20
Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:52 PM
A support turtle, that would be really powerfull, and maybe even OP, like you (Pharap) said, we need to cut the range and make it so that it drains the fuel to make it less OP, the beacon itself is very expensive so that won`t be a problem.
Engineer #21
Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

There is a peripheral for this.

You really dont read previous messages, do you? If you did that you would have read this:

i already asked it to the mod developer from open peripheral, reaction:
Nice! I would like to suggest making the beacon a peripheral, there should also be a beacon API.

and i also would like to suggest support to Ars Magica

I'll try patch some of this in as a remote update. Anything I can't do remotely will be added in the next code release.
skarlitz #22
Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:23 PM
Not sure what "buff" is, but I'm sure you could use a redstone wired piston to block the light of the beacon.
Pharap #23
Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:13 PM
Not sure what "buff" is, but I'm sure you could use a redstone wired piston to block the light of the beacon.

Buffs and Debuffs - RPG slang for stat increases and stat decreases.
Galactica4 #24
Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:52 AM
I like the idea but how are you going to connect an computer with an beacon?
one idea is to have a special block that tricks the beacon into thinking it is part of the structure and triggering from ther or have an "advanced beacon block" doing the same thing but with an computercraft style interface when you click on it.
The second one is probably better

Obviously as a side effect you would have to cut the range and the peripheral would have to be expensive to craft or require extra fuel to keep it powered, but I think it's a good idea.
Effectively it would make the turtle kind of like a companion casting support magic on you to aid you in battle.
There's already an attack turtle for fighting enemies, so surely a support turtle for invoking buffs makes some sense.
Like a range extender?, it follows you (or something) and if it is in the range of an beacon, it will boost it?
Pharap #25
Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:05 AM
I like the idea but how are you going to connect an computer with an beacon?
one idea is to have a special block that tricks the beacon into thinking it is part of the structure and triggering from ther or have an "advanced beacon block" doing the same thing but with an computercraft style interface when you click on it.
The second one is probably better

I would think it would be more like a peripheral that is crafted with a beacon as opposed to the beacon itself.
Basically since beacons have to have all those ores underneath them, the recipe could incorporate the ores and a bit of redstone.
Also because you would be using less blocks than a full beacon pyramid, there would have to be either layering support or just make the range quite weak.

Like a range extender?, it follows you (or something) and if it is in the range of an beacon, it will boost it?

Since most peripherals can become turtle upgrades, the beacon-peripheral would have its own upgrade equivalent.
Attaching it to a turtle would generate the beacon's stat boost zone around the turtle, thus as the turtle moves, the zone moves, effectively making it act like a moveable beacon.

It would be handy for taking underground since it would grant the player the boosts they would have had they erected a beacon-pyramid underground. The key difference being that the beacon-turtle could follow the player and act as a constant support.
Jappards #26
Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:40 AM
Since most peripherals can become turtle upgrades, the beacon-peripheral would have its own upgrade equivalent.
Attaching it to a turtle would generate the beacon's stat boost zone around the turtle, thus as the turtle moves, the zone moves, effectively making it act like a moveable beacon.

It would be handy for taking underground since it would grant the player the boosts they would have had they erected a beacon-pyramid underground. The key difference being that the beacon-turtle could follow the player and act as a constant support.

That would be really powerfull with openCCsensors, but off course the range needs to be a lot weaker to balance it out and to give the player the challenge and need to program the beacon turtle to follow you
Pharap #27
Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

That would be really powerfull with openCCsensors, but off course the range needs to be a lot weaker to balance it out and to give the player the challenge and need to program the beacon turtle to follow you

Like I said, range would have to be incrementally increased with crafting.
Don't know the beacon setup off by heart so I can't figure out the maths on the spot, but it shouldn't be too hard to calculate a cap.
If the range isn't capped, perhaps doubling the energy consumption or requiring two fuel sources, the beacon source and the turtle source.

Also, I can see Misc-P's teleporters coming in handy. Teleporting beacon turtles.
Dex_Luther #28
Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:09 AM
I like the idea. It would give server owners the ability to switch the buff given over spawn areas on a timer or by using a command (at least the way I imagine it being implemented), which could be useful. It could also let people set up events or something around the spawnpoint.
immibis #29
Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:25 PM
I like the idea. It would give server owners the ability to switch the buff given over spawn areas on a timer or by using a command (at least the way I imagine it being implemented), which could be useful. It could also let people set up events or something around the spawnpoint.
They can already do that, they're called pistons.
Pharap #30
Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:36 PM
Piston mechanisms take up an awful amount of space.
immibis #31
Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:17 PM
One piston and a computer?
PixelToast #32
Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:45 PM
Piston mechanisms take up an awful amount of space.
what?
Engineer #33
Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:00 PM
In my opinion this idea is so called game breaking. I mean really, whats the point of a .setrange function, which cannot be further than the actual max range, when you actually try to get some profit of that. I mean, whats the point of a beacon with a range of 3? I'd rather have the full effect of the beacon in survival than somebody trolling with some loops to not get some profit of the "hard" wither fight.

I do agree though it is really good for pvp servers and such, but there are probably tools for that out there. The real only thing you would need is to turn of the beacon, using some simple redstone or a computer for that matter and a piston and a block.

I dont know, if you need an example:
SpoilerHaha, look up! :P/> Im hoping this post is not a new page..
Left4Cake #34
Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:35 AM
In my opinion this idea is so called game breaking. I mean really, whats the point of a .setrange function, which cannot be further than the actual max range, when you actually try to get some profit of that. I mean, whats the point of a beacon with a range of 3? I'd rather have the full effect of the beacon in survival than somebody trolling with some loops to not get some profit of the "hard" wither fight.

Adventure maps? other then that no idea.
Pharap #35
Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:58 AM
Spoiler
what?

A: Not Portable
B: Beacon not fully powered

SetRange would be useful if it was a tradeoff between range and fuel.
The problem with the beacon in survival is that it is in a fixed location, thus you can only get the benefits of it whilst in that range.
By making it a turtle upgrade, the beacon would effectively be moveable, thus it doesn't have to stay in one place, it can be taken down into mineshafts then moved back up to the surface as required.

The main point is the moveability.
Dex_Luther #36
Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

Have you used a beacon before? Pistons can turn it on or off, but not change the buff that the beacons give.

With a viable pyramid beneath it, a Beacon will emit a blue beam of light into the sky, and its GUI will be available for choosing and activating the desired enhancements or protections. The range of these effects varies with the pyramid size. All players within range will have the chosen effect applied every few seconds, but when players move out of range, the effect will expire within 4–8 seconds.

Source: http://www.minecraft...net/wiki/Beacon

Pistons have absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

The problem with the beacon in survival is that it is in a fixed location, thus you can only get the benefits of it whilst in that range.
By making it a turtle upgrade, the beacon would effectively be moveable, thus it doesn't have to stay in one place, it can be taken down into mineshafts then moved back up to the surface as required.

I like the idea of a beacon peripheral, but not the idea of it being able to move. Movement like that would make it way to over powered. The point of the beacon is for it to be a landmark to help players find important places like spawn or market town in SMP.
Cranium #37
Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:11 PM
The point of the beacon is for it to be a landmark to help players find important places like spawn or market town in SMP.
Umm. No.

That is ONE reason to have a beacon. The main reason is for buffs and bonuses. Not just for the light. Considering not everybody has render distance up, they won't really be able to see spawn, unless they're already near it.
Engineer #38
Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

I do not like the idea of a moving beacon. Use potions.

NOTE: Not every buff can be replaced by potions
Dlcruz129 #39
Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:12 PM
NOTE: Not every buff can be replaced by potions

Actually, I believe Sethbling wrote an MCEdit filter for that a while ago.
Pharap #40
Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

I like the idea of a beacon peripheral, but not the idea of it being able to move. Movement like that would make it way to over powered. The point of the beacon is for it to be a landmark to help players find important places like spawn or market town in SMP.

Like cranium said, using it as a landmark is one use (though you're supposed to use a compass to find your spawn).
And like I said, the ability to make it moveable in the form of a turtle upgrade would be balanced by fuel increases and/or range decreases.
Also, you have just made me ponder the possibility of the turtle gaining the beacon's beam, which would make locating the turtle easier. In some ways that could be more useful than some of the buffs provided by the beacon.