This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
wilcomega's profile picture

ihave noticed that.....

Started by wilcomega, 15 April 2013 - 05:42 AM
wilcomega #1
Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:42 AM
i have noticed with posting my latests programs that when i call my installer "installer" it gets way less atention than weh i call it "fully costumizeble pastin installer with packages".
what do you think of that?

thx for reading,
wilcomega
lieudusty #2
Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:55 AM
Fancier names get people's attention?
Sammich Lord #3
Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:00 AM
You have to remember most people here are young. Most of them also have a shot attention span. The faster they see pictures and the download link, the faster they will download.
Spongy141 #4
Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:27 AM
@Sammich Lord
Really? I thought most people were older on here…
Sammich Lord #5
Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:28 AM
@Sammich Lord
Quite a few people are older. But a lot of younger people just come on here, browse the programs section and try to find something they can use.
MudkipTheEpic #6
Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:35 AM
Because the amount of hits and downloads a program gets is no way related to how good it is, but is DIRECTLY proportional to the fancyness and length of the title. [/sarcasm]
ikke009 #7
Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:51 AM
Because the amount of hits and downloads a program gets is no way related to how good it is, but is DIRECTLY proportional to the fancyness and length of the title. [/sarcasm]
You might have been sarcastic there, but you have no idea how much truth there is in those words… There's this thing called marketing, you might have heard of it, going on in the past some 100 years which is devoted to selling stuff by "giving it fancy names"
H4X0RZ #8
Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:52 AM
@Sammich Lord
Quite a few people are older. But a lot of younger people just come on here, browse the programs section and try to find something they can use.

I'm here to show you my programs (more and less), I rarely take prescribed code because the prescribed code doesn't fit.
and im (very) young but I am better than some adult!
Sammich Lord #9
Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:54 AM
@Sammich Lord

I'm here to show you my programs (more and less), I rarely take prescribed code because the prescribed code doesn't fit.
I didn't say that everybody who is younger just came here to download something than leave. But a lot of people who used CC from a mod pack are younger(Not all) and just come here to download something. I am aware there are younger people here on the forums that do actually make good content.
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #10
Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:41 AM
@Sammich Lord

I didn't say that everybody who is younger just came here to download something than leave. But a lot of people who used CC from a mod pack are younger(Not all) and just come here to download something. I am aware there are younger people here on the forums that do actually make good content.
I am very young and im native spanish and i wrote somo programs and some users(immibis, jesusthekiller) has based his programs in mine programs
Symmetryc #11
Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:44 AM
@Sammich Lord

Agreed, I've seen some elementary schoolers do better stuff than me :P/> (not that I'm good with lua or anything, just emphasizing the young's ability to code).
Cloudy #12
Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:35 AM
MY BRIAN. I CARN NAWT UNDERSTANDABLELELE.

Shuudoushi #13
Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:35 AM
I have no idea what the OP was trying to say there…
1lann #14
Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:47 AM
i have noticed with posting my latests programs that when i call my installer "installer" it gets way less atention than weh i call it "fully costumizeble pastin installer with packages".
what do you think of that?

thx for reading,
wilcomega
TRANSLATION:
I have noticed that if I name topics simply "Installer", it gains less attention than if I were to name it "Fully customizable pastebin installer with packages".
What do you think about that?

What I think about it:
Sadly in reality, people really do judge topics by its title (judge books by its cover)

Edit: Lolwhoops
theoriginalbit #15
Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:20 AM
TRANSLATION:
I have noticed that if I name topics simply "Installer", it has gains less attention than if I were to name it "Fully customizable pastebin installer with packages".
What do you think about that?
Translation is a little off.
"it has gains less attention"
should be 1 of the following:
  • it gets less attention
  • it has less attention
  • it gains less attention
SuicidalSTDz #16
Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:28 AM
Ooh, sammich has a new signature :P/>

Main: just name the thread whatever you want.
Sammich Lord #17
Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:00 AM
Ooh, sammich has a new signature :P/>

Main: just name the thread whatever you want.
They were talking about doing this on IRC like a week ago. I am glad to have this new signature :P/>
Bubba #18
Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:54 AM
I have noticed that a general disregard for spelling and grammar is rampant on the forums. Understandable in the case of those who are not native speakers, but for the most part it is just plain laziness. I have also noticed that the majority of people do not take the few seconds it takes to properly format their posts and/or titles.

Really people. How difficult is it? Even those who are not native speakers should know basic spacing.
SuicidalSTDz #19
Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:20 AM
I have noticed that a general disregard for spelling and grammar is rampant on the forums. Understandable in the case of those who are not native speakers, but for the most part it is just plain laziness. I have also noticed that the majority of people do not take the few seconds it takes to properly format their posts and/or titles.

Really people. How difficult is it? Even those who are not native speakers should know basic spacing.
Ehem, if I may ^_^/>

It is not laziness, it is 'kids'. They do not know the proper terminology for words nor do they know correct formatting skills. Oh, and when kids are mad they tend to use a HUGE! text size just to try and drive the point through, which rarely works.

But alas, we were all annoying kids at once (some of us may still be) so we should be supportive.
Bubba #20
Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Ehem, if I may ^_^/>/>/>

It is not laziness, it is 'kids'. They do not know the proper terminology for words nor do they know correct formatting skills. Oh, and when kids are mad they tend to use a HUGE! text size just to try and drive the point through, which rarely works.

But alas, we were all annoying kids at once (some of us may still be) so we should be supportive.

Perhaps it was the way I was raised, but I have always taken my time with writing, even on the internet. I didn't find it necessary to use huge font or ignore mispelled words. If I saw something wrong, I went back and corrected it to the best of my ability. So when I see people who put forth no effort in their posts I am annoyed to say the least, because I know that everyone is capable of doing so.
PixelToast #21
Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:53 AM
Ehem, if I may ^_^/>/>

like geevancraft .-.
the huge colored fonts
the lack of formatting is awful
overrated over budget, oh and the map he was using had a licence agreements that prevented servers from making money or having more than 20(i think) slots
dont get me started on geevan, so much hate went into him he got 3 spots on the hall of shame

i can think of crappy projects that got more attention than things ive worked on for weeks
Dlcruz129 #22
Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:40 PM
Most of them also have a shot attention span.

Tl;dr. :P/>
Spongy141 #23
Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:20 PM
Hmm, I wonder if I make my titles in Binary then people might notice it more.
Edit: Then I thought, not enough title room.
Shinjiteru #24
Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:00 AM
I noticed that my posts are all getting around the same amount of attention, 75 Views in 14 hours.All I do is:[Simple Title Name - Description]
Engineer #25
Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:52 PM
I noticed that my posts are all getting around the same amount of attention, 75 Views in 14 hours.All I do is:[Simple Title Name - Description]

Thats way more attracting then this:

Come and see it! The most awesome project evar!