This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Tantusar's profile picture

[1.53] Command Block Turtles/Peripheral

Started by Tantusar, 17 April 2013 - 10:02 AM
Tantusar #1
Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:02 PM
A turtle/peripheral available only in creative mode, it will allow the programmer to have turtles/computers run commands using variables.
For example:
  • A player, having completed five puzzles, is required to enter a five letter code into a computer. When he/she does so, it teleports him/her to the next part of the map.
  • A player is playing Space Invaders. When he/she scores, it updates his/her score using the "scoreboard" command.
  • A player beats Space Invaders. He receives an infinite supply of dirt.
Cloudy #2
Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:10 PM
Or you can just use the command block as a peripheral. Check your config.
Tantusar #3
Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:46 PM
Really? I didn't know that.
Cloudy #4
Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:47 PM
Yep! Been in as long as command blocks have.
Tantusar #5
Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:40 PM
And it takes up just as much space as a peripheral. Command block turtles would still be nice though.
Left4Cake #6
Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:02 PM
And it takes up just as much space as a peripheral. Command block turtles would still be nice though.

and you can't just use a wireless turtle to communicate with a computer with a command block because. The problem with this whole thing is since you need to cheat to get the command block that already invalidates anything useful that could come from the Command block turtle.
Dlcruz129 #7
Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

Really? You're talking about computercraft taking up too much space? Look at this, and then realize that computercraft is much more powerful and MUCH, MUCH smaller.
Tantusar #8
Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Really? You're talking about computercraft taking up too much space? Look at this, and then realize that computercraft is much more powerful and MUCH, MUCH smaller.
That's not quite what I was thinking. I already thought ComputerCraft was compact.

and you can't just use a wireless turtle to communicate with a computer with a command block because. The problem with this whole thing is since you need to cheat to get the command block that already invalidates anything useful that could come from the Command block turtle.
What about a timer for a map based on how many blocks (that you received earlier) you put in front of a command block mining turtle. When you start the timer, the turtle breaks a block, moves forward, then waits ten seconds. Then:
  • If it finds another block it will repeat the break, move, wait, search process.
  • If it doesn't, it will teleport you into the void.
Cloudy #9
Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:18 PM
Not gonna happen.
Tantusar #10
Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:24 PM
Okay. If the developer says it, it must be true.
Jappards #11
Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:54 AM
i agree with Cloudy, that timer is an enhancement, and will never happen unless there going to take enhancements and that will also never happen, i think.
that timer could easily be programmed.
here is a begin of the timer code:

local progress=5--put here the number of times the turtle should do the progress, i will just take a random number.

for i=1,progress[1] do
if turtle.detect then
turtle.dig()
turtle.forward()
sleep(10)
end
Left4Cake #12
Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:40 AM
What about a timer for a map based on how many blocks (that you received earlier) you put in front of a command block mining turtle. When you start the timer, the turtle breaks a block, moves forward, then waits ten seconds. Then:
  • If it finds another block it will repeat the break, move, wait, search process.
  • If it doesn't, it will teleport you into the void.

The Turtal can compare blocks and report back to the computer when it request for with a value for weather you did it right and on a return of true or false can teleport you accordingly.

Well their is a change that I interpret what you said wrong, but even if I did you should get a general idea of what is possible.
KaoS #13
Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:13 PM
At the end of the day anything a turtle could do with a command block peripheral is exactly the same as if the turtle did it and sent the information to a computer that accessed a command block. The only advantage I can see is then no other computers can access the peripheral providing additional security
Left4Cake #14
Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:56 AM
At the end of the day anything a turtle could do with a command block peripheral is exactly the same as if the turtle did it and sent the information to a computer that accessed a command block. The only advantage I can see is then no other computers can access the peripheral providing additional security

Even then a simple if statement will make it so the computer only accepts the command from a given turtle.