This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
The_Awe35's profile picture

Making a mod

Started by The_Awe35, 18 April 2013 - 02:12 PM
The_Awe35 #1
Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:12 PM
I have been thinking for a while, and I have decided to try to make a mod for minecraft. I would like to know though, how difficult is it (difficulty by length of code and complexity) to make one? I know different aspects would be harder eg. making a obsidian pickaxe vs. changing the lighting system. Which parts would be the hardest to do? This won't be anytime soon, seeing as I don't even know java (working on it!) this is going to be in a while. I was wondering if anyone knew a good site to learn java and/or modding Minecraft.
oeed #2
Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:27 PM
For some strange reason I haven't even looked at making a Minecraft mod. Now I think about it, I have no idea why I haven't. Anyway, if it were me I would simply Google 'Minecraft mod tutorial' and just watch a few vidoes. That's my very small, generic and slightly obvious advice :P/>

Now you've got me thinking about making a mod…
The_Awe35 #3
Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:53 PM
I don't know what to make now though.I was going to make some sort of cooking one, but I just did a little more research, and someone already beat me to it (and had better ideas too)…
oeed #4
Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:22 PM
I don't know what to make now though.I was going to make some sort of cooking one, but I just did a little more research, and someone already beat me to it (and had better ideas too)…

Trust me, if you think of an idea for a mod someones probably done it. What you need to do is make something better. Take RedPower pipes for example, the BuildCraft pipes aren't very good so the dev made better ones that are far better and more advance.
Bubba #5
Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:06 PM
if it were me I would simply Google 'Minecraft mod tutorial' and just watch a few vidoes.

Probably not the best idea, due to the update frequency of Minecraft/MCP. It might help you get the general jist of how things work, but I've found that it's more trouble than it's worth.

As to the difficulty of making a mod, I would say it depends heavily on how you want to go about it. You could download the Minecraft Coder Pack (MCP), set it up, and edit the minecraft source directly and have a rudimentary "mod" in a matter of minutes. But it won't be pretty, and it would be of the mod type where you have to insert it directly into the minecraft.jar, which is really not something most people want to do and could easily break compatibility with other mods. I find using Forge to be much better. In fact, if you download the forge source, it includes the MCP environment and all you have to do is click install.cmd (or install.sh if you're on a mac/linux). It even downloads the jar files for you. Awesome.

As for tutorials, Forge has an excellent tutorial series that was enormously helpful for me when I wanted to make a few peripherals. I would start there. Well actually, I would start with learning the basics of Java (plenty of tutorials out there on the net), and then going on to Forge tutorials. After that, you can probably dissect the forge javadoc and get anything else you need from that. Also, check out this for some good references that you might find handy.

Overall, you could be in for a long haul depending on what you want to make. Making new pickaxes/items or adding new blocks is relatively easy - I imagine changing the lighting system would be pretty challenging.

Good luck :)/>
The_Awe35 #6
Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:58 AM
Thanks! :)/>
superaxander #7
Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:12 AM
I learned a lot form these:
http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Category:Generic_Mod