This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Shnupbups's profile picture

OK, there's an OS section...

Started by Shnupbups, 19 April 2013 - 11:40 PM
Shnupbups #1
Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:40 AM
I thought you guys said you were never going to add one?
AfterLifeLochie #2
Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:41 AM
I thought you guys said you were never going to add one?
The number of OS'es and "os-es" in the Programs board actually grew to a ratio higher than the actual programs and it's on the side of ridiculous.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:46 AM
grew to a ratio higher than the actual programs and it's on the side of ridiculous.
Not that I think there should be a section for it. But can't the same thing be said for door locks.
Kingdaro #4
Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:52 AM
Not really. More specifically, security programs, yes. Though security probably one of the biggest uses for CC, if not farms, house building and tree digging.
Engineer #5
Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:40 AM
*cheers* Finally, no spam in the programs section :D/>
But on the other side, if there is an actual good OS, almost nobody will find it. Because the most of us are not even going to that section because we dont want to be facepalming all day long.

So it has something good, but something bad too.
superaxander #6
Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:50 AM
*cheers* Finally, no spam in the programs section :D/>/>
But on the other side, if there is an actual good OS, almost nobody will find it. Because the most of us are not even going to that section because we dont want to be facepalming all day long.

True dat
Espen #7
Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Does it, by any chance, start with an R, doesn't actually call itself an OS and is around since the early days of the forum? ^_^/>
Engineer #8
Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:59 AM
*cheers* Finally, no spam in the programs section :D/>/>

Does it, by any chance, start with an R, doesn't actually call itself an OS and is around since the early days of the forum? ^_^/>/>
Actually not :P/>
I know some people who are making their own OS, and its not just your regular graphical shell. I dont know if those people want it to be public yet, so I wont call their names.
And also, good try :P/>
Espen #9
Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:14 AM
Actually not :P/>
I know some people who are making their own OS, and its not just your regular graphical shell. I dont know if those people want it to be public yet, so I wont call their names.
And also, good try :P/>
Hehe, alright then, was worth a shot.
If it's really more than a glorified dressup OS, then it deserves some dignity. ;)/>
Leo Verto #10
Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:30 PM
One day, we can just delete the whole OS section!
Spongy141 #11
Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:15 PM
^
That would be good, but also horrible.
AfterLifeLochie #12
Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:22 PM
One day, we can just delete the whole OS section!
Yeah, no.

Does it, by any chance, start with an R, doesn't actually call itself an OS and is around since the early days of the forum? ^_^/>
Not really. It's the fact that we had more operating system threads in sections such as Programs and General that needed a place to be "put" - I don't argue that they're all bad or crap or whatever, but they seriously grew to the point where they needed to be moved. By no means was that old name-beginning-with-R product the result of this. I've not allowed OS'es and any derivatives on the Wiki and I don't think I will - for obvious reasons.

There will most likely be a crackdown on OS'es and derivatives - now that we have an actual board for them. While I don't really personally want to handle them myself, it's going to be my job - since I birthed the board.
Espen #13
Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:42 PM
By no means was that old name-beginning-with-R product the result of this.
Oh… just to clear up any potential misunderstanding:
I actually meant that I liked that "old name-beginning-with-R product" and mentioned it in response to Engineer's "if there is an actual good OS, almost nobody will find it".

Just in case.^^
AfterLifeLochie #14
Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:58 PM
By no means was that old name-beginning-with-R product the result of this.
Oh… just to clear up any potential misunderstanding:
I actually meant that I liked that "old name-beginning-with-R product" and mentioned it in response to Engineer's "if there is an actual good OS, almost nobody will find it".

Just in case.^^
Yep, I knew what you meant – regardless, the whole new board was adequately called for due to the sheer number of posts. Let the great sorting begin! :P/>