This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
NDFJay's profile picture

Ndf-Ui | The Ndf-Os Continuation Project

Started by NDFJay, 20 April 2013 - 04:14 PM
NDFJay #1
Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

The moment you have all been waiting for has finally arrived!

After a lot of procrastination and a few hours coding NDF-UI is here!

Lets do this!

Features:
Spoiler
  • File Manager (Made by [member='BigSHinyToys'])
  • Changeable Wallpapers
  • Drag-able windows (Apps//About)
  • Up to 10 drag-able icons(coming soon)
  • Fully customize-able login screen(coming soon)
  • Speeder(game)
  • Numines(Exclusive game made by [member='nitrogenfingers'] for NDF UI)
  • Easy to modify config file(access to it from the right click context menu)
  • Custom Linux styled boot loader with boot flags (currently only "-v" works)
  • Dynamic update notifications
  • Rednet/Modem connection status(coming soon)

Coming Soon:
Too much to list right now…
Stay tuned.

Screenshots: Coming Soon "Broken Images"
SpoilerBoot Loader:
Spoiler

Click here to go to the boot loader topic
The Shiny UI
Spoiler

Credit where credit is due:

[member='TheOriginalBIT'] - Screensaver API (coming soon)

[member='nitrogenfingers'] - nPaintPro, gameutils and Numines

[member='BigSHinyToys'] - File Browser

[member='Grim Reaper'] - NoteTaker

[member='Gravityscore'] - Firewolf and LightShot

[member='remiX'] - ccYouTube

Download the code so far:

In game: pastebin get zMiTadxW install

Disclaimer:
SpoilerThis is still in Alpha stages and is due to be debugged fully, this is not the finished work and all elements may be subject to change at a later stage.
All code for the UI and the bootloader is done by me with help from some people for certain functions (credited accordingly in the code).
I take no credit for the programs listed above that have been included in this UI and thus if any of them are bugged and/or not working I cannot fix them.

Since the screenshots are broken have a video instead:

Leave me some ideas of future things to add down below or message me.
superaxander #2
Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:52 PM
Yay This is cool!
oeed #3
Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:12 PM
Looks good, not a fan of the complicated Bootloader text etc, however.
kornichen #4
Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:57 AM
Jey my competitor OS is back. Just joking :D/>
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:59 AM
Means you might have to release that update and bug fixes after all :P/> /sarcasm
spyman68 #6
Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:11 AM
NDFJay, I've always been a fan of your OSes but one thing I have to say, my friend made an API that would make the GUIs alot easier to make. If you want me to I can ask him if you can use it. It would probably cut down your time alot so you could work more on the functionality then the GUI
NDFJay #7
Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:10 AM
Looks good, not a fan of the complicated Bootloader text etc, however.

Just change the bootloader theme ^_^/>

Haha let the competition begin… again… :P/> jokes

NDFJay, I've always been a fan of your OSes but one thing I have to say, my friend made an API that would make the GUIs alot easier to make. If you want me to I can ask him if you can use it. It would probably cut down your time alot so you could work more on the functionality then the GUI

I like making the UI's myself, its the one part that I can make truley my own, writing code for functionality is universal and 90% of people will write the same code to do a task but making the UI now thats something I can make truly my own so thanks for the offer but im going to decline it, its the one things I'm actually great at lol
spyman68 #8
Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:09 AM
Ok lol
SuicidalSTDz #9
Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:19 AM
Glad to see this released. I've been eagerly waiting its arrival. I must say I love everything about it. The UI's are very nice (As always with anything you make :P/>). The code is nice, clean, and compact. No unneeded sleep function calls. Very good job ^_^/>
NDFJay #10
Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:23 AM
Glad to see this released. I've been eagerly waiting its arrival. I must say I love everything about it. The UI's are very nice (As always with anything you make :P/>). The code is nice, clean, and compact. No unneeded sleep function calls. Very good job ^_^/>

Why thank you ^_^/>
I don't think I used any sleep function calls in this lol well apart from in the installer but only activates when it finds a pre existing startup file to tell you one has been found and renamed rather than removing it ^_^/>
GravityScore #11
Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:41 AM
Finally! You'd said this'd take 2 weeks in the old NDF-OS thread! :P/>

Love it, looks fantastic! Just don't make a video on how to make it (jks) :P/> Last time, the forums were flooded with identical OS with minor color changes :P/>
NDFJay #12
Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:46 AM
Finally! You'd said this'd take 2 weeks in the old NDF-OS thread! :P/>

Love it, looks fantastic! Just don't make a video on how to make it (jks) :P/> Last time, the forums were flooded with identical OS with minor color changes :P/>

Yeah looking back at that "2 weeks" all I have to say in my defence is… procrastination hit me hard haha :P/> and yeah I saw all the identical OS's lol sorry about that :P/>, started doing tutorials on tables, apis and other things like that lol
Dlcruz129 #13
Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:00 AM
Can the boot loader be disabled entirely? Also, will cloud storage be re-added? (Use SQL) Very, very nice!
SuicidalSTDz #14
Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:04 AM
Can the boot loader be disabled entirely? Also, will cloud storage be re-added? (Use SQL) Very, very nice!
SQL injection is a risk unless done properly.
NDFJay #15
Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

at the moment the bootloader is needed to pass certain functions to the startup script and to run the startup script, it could be disabled if you were to make your own but that bypasses certain scripts which could make it bug out.

also I am planning to add Cloud storage back in at some point

SQL injection is a risk unless done properly.
yes it is, and thats why im weary when it comes to adding in the cloud storage
Dlcruz129 #16
Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:47 AM
I believe Lochie is pretty good at Internet security stuff.
theoriginalbit #17
Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:48 AM
Indeed he is very good. But what does that have to do with anything?
NDFJay #18
Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:57 AM
Indeed he is very good. But what does that have to do with anything?

I think it was meant as a reply to suicidalSTDZ who was saying SQL injection is risky unless done properly
theoriginalbit #19
Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:01 AM
I think it was meant as a reply to suicidalSTDZ who was saying SQL injection is risky unless done properly
Ahh, well in that case….. If the SQL is sanitised correctly then even ALL wouldn't be able to do anything… however he would just exploit one of the several other 3rd party software or server architecture's gaping security holes and get through…
spyman68 #20
Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:04 AM
Haha bit, so true, so true
SuicidalSTDz #21
Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:16 AM
Haha bit, so true, so true
True, yes. Scary, even more so.

Back on topic: I can't wait for Rednet/Modem statuses ^_^/> This will be very useful.
NDFJay #22
Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:29 AM
Back on topic: I can't wait for Rednet/Modem statuses ^_^/> This will be very useful.

Plans for that are as follows
  • Wifi connection strength/ wireless range (1 to 3 bars depending on range from the server/connected peripheral)
  • SSID + WEP style server/peripheral connection(assign a server/peripheral with an SSID and a Password that the UI will use for authentication)
  • Once connected will display detailed connection stats such as distance, strength, connected users/network(if allowed by the server/peripheral)
  • Will automatically be assigned a channel to send/receive information on(assigned by the connected server/peripheral)
And a few other features, these are just a starting point which once its debugged I think I might release as an API/program on its own
Mandrake Fernflower #23
Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:32 PM
Nice OS. However I see two issues with it.. The first one is not having the ability to replace the complicated bootloader with a "silent" one. The second one is that one of the programs (CcYoutube) is bugged and its server will not take any new uploads (It says "PASTEID ERROR" or something like that)
theoriginalbit #24
Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:51 AM
The second one is that one of the programs (CcYoutube) is bugged and its server will not take any new uploads (It says "PASTEID ERROR" or something like that)
That program is not made by him, you are best to report that one to remiX, since he is the author of ccYouTube.
tonkku107 #25
Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

Plans for that are as follows
  • Wifi connection strength/ wireless range (1 to 3 bars depending on range from the server/connected peripheral)
  • SSID + WEP style server/peripheral connection(assign a server/peripheral with an SSID and a Password that the UI will use for authentication)
  • Once connected will display detailed connection stats such as distance, strength, connected users/network(if allowed by the server/peripheral)
  • Will automatically be assigned a channel to send/receive information on(assigned by the connected server/peripheral)
And a few other features, these are just a starting point which once its debugged I think I might release as an API/program on its own
Add CCSkype and would that work worldwide, not just the server your on
Xfel #26
Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:41 AM
Any chance you could add support for LuaIDE? I think this would be really nice in a graphical OS.
I also miss a good terminal program, something that will show the normal shell in a window.

In general, it would be nice if one could add own programs to the launcher.
BigSHinyToys #27
Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:20 PM
Dude sweet pixel art and nice OS + 1
nutcase84 #28
Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:01 PM
I'm glad this is back, but what is that background supposed to be?
superaxander #29
Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:07 AM
All pictures are broken…
sadank #30
Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:02 AM
Nice OS, also how did you connect it to the website which you create your User and Pass.
nutcase84 #31
Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:25 PM
Nice OS, also how did you connect it to the website which you create your User and Pass.

PHP, Google it.

Sorry for answering your posts NDFJay. Just wanted to help. :D/>
Persona #32
Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:28 PM
Trying to install this, instead of getting me a startup, it gave me a HTML file from the website (apparently your HOST closed the site down).
jesusthekiller #33
Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:11 AM
Nice! Protecting from SQL injection in easy tho.
Techman749 #34
Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'd be glad to take that offer if you don't mind. I've been working on one of my own OS's and I'm having trouble with the GUI's and clickable GUI's

Thanks!
corbett #35
Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:46 AM
Its is broken. I know its kinda old but still great. I'm on MC 1.4.7 and it errors on line 212. attempt to index a nil value.
it may just be the writen for MC 1.5. if so please just say so
1lann #36
Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:32 AM
Its is broken. I know its kinda old but still great. I'm on MC 1.4.7 and it errors on line 212. attempt to index a nil value.
I'm just guessing, that it's because you have HTTP disabled.
NDFJay #37
Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:40 AM
Sorry I havent been replying to this thread, I've not had a computer recently.

The reason its not downloading is because my webserver is down, my host messed up my order so I'm having to get that sorted out, I'll post an alert when the server is back up so you can continue downloading the UI
corbett #38
Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:35 PM
I'm just guessing, that it's because you have HTTP disabled.
no i have everything i need on
TheOddByte #39
Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:08 PM
Tried to install it..

install:212: attempt to index ? (a nil value)

Also tried the zipped download and then the site gaven an 404 error…
MudkipTheEpic #40
Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:11 PM
Tried to install it..

install:212: attempt to index ? (a nil value)

Also tried the zipped download and then the site gaven an 404 error…

The reason its not downloading is because my webserver is down, my host messed up my order so I'm having to get that sorted out, I'll post an alert when the server is back up so you can continue downloading the UI
TheOddByte #41
Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:20 PM
-Snip-

Oh sorry.. Didn't read that..
Was just on the first page and replied..
logwet #42
Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:27 AM
When i downloaded it and run it, my computer said "install:212: attempt to index ? (a nil value) " pls help me :wacko:/>
NDFJay #43
Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:25 AM
When i downloaded it and run it, my computer said "install:212: attempt to index ? (a nil value)" pls help me :wacko:/>

I'm having an issue with my webserver where the files are downloaded from, will have it back in the next 2 - 3 weeks, untill then im finding an alternative way to upload the files
nutcase84 #44
Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:05 PM
Dropbox FTW
computercam #45
Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:31 PM
install is broken on 1.6.1 of cc
J66_J66 #46
Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:49 PM
Hey NDFjay, could I modify the code of your downloader to use in my os? I have been trying to make my own for quite some time but it has never worked… if not please could I have help on how to actually get the file onto computercraft using the http api? Thanks. I don't want to seem lazy but i am really new to this… :)/> oh and of course i will give you credit for it! :D/>
makerimages #47
Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:36 AM
local sExample = http.get("exampl.com") --Get contents of page
write(sExample.readAll()) --Read and print contents of page
sExample.close() --Just in case
Or if you Want the end result be a file, then try this

function WriteToFile(path, text)
	    local file = assert(io.open(path, "w"))
	    file:write(text)
	    file:close()
end
local file = http.get("URL-TO-FILE")
WriteToFile("NEW FILE NAME", file.readAll())
file.close()
J66_J66 #48
Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:22 AM
Thanks makerimages, worked perfectly! +1ed :D/>
Anon10W1z #49
Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:35 PM
Hey can you fix the screenshots? They're just the little page icon which shows when a link to a picture is invalid.
Dave-ee Jones #50
Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:33 AM
Your website is down again. I cannot download the URL contents because it cannot find the website. Please fix.
Geforce Fan #51
Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:23 PM
it gives me an error on line 212, it says:
install:212: attempt to index ?(a nil value)
makerimages #52
Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:30 AM
When i downloaded it and run it, my computer said "install:212: attempt to index ? (a nil value)" pls help me :wacko:/>

I'm having an issue with my webserver where the files are downloaded from, will have it back in the next 2 - 3 weeks, untill then im finding an alternative way to upload the files

Are you too dumb to read?
Dave-ee Jones #53
Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:57 AM
Why doesn't he just use GitHub or Pastebin? Maybe even BitBucket?
DarkEspeon #54
Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Got to agree with you here Autolock, Pastebin would be more accessible to cc users since you can just do pastebin get xxxxxxxxx name
NDFJay #55
Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Got to agree with you here Autolock, Pastebin would be more accessible to cc users since you can just do pastebin get xxxxxxxxx name

Because my UI has more than 1 file, in fact it has quite a few and downloading them all from my personal webserver is faster and easier and lets me make auto updaters and installers without the pastebin conformation after each file taking up the screen.

My webserver is back up now so I'll be uploading the files to it today
NDFJay #56
Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:38 PM
And we're back up and running, the files are on the server and everything is working, enjoy
Dave-ee Jones #57
Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

Because my UI has more than 1 file, in fact it has quite a few and downloading them all from my personal webserver is faster and easier and lets me make auto updaters and installers without the pastebin conformation after each file taking up the screen.

My webserver is back up now so I'll be uploading the files to it today

Fair enough :D/>

EDIT: Also, your OS is slightly broken. The Settings menu won't work, the context menu doesn't work either and some other features don't work either. Shutdown/Reboot/CraftOS works and so does your NDF Boot. Some other features are broken as well.
Just thought I'd let you know.
NDFJay #58
Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:09 AM
–snip

Fair enough :D/>

EDIT: Also, your OS is slightly broken. The Settings menu won't work, the context menu doesn't work either and some other features don't work either. Shutdown/Reboot/CraftOS works and so does your NDF Boot. Some other features are broken as well.
Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks, Ill fix that stuff when I get a chance ^_^/>
jbruienne #59
Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:15 PM
I can't install NDF-UI! Error code:

startup:36: bad argument: string expected, got nil
This is on both types of computers.
Dave-ee Jones #60
Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:31 AM
hmmm…but why did you run Installer as startup? (jbruienne)
MailoStudios #61
Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:08 PM
That is a very cool UI
MulticolouredMarshmellow #62
Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:08 PM
Awesome NDFJay!

-from and old friend :D/>
ElectricOverride #63
Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:57 PM
I'm sorry, i've not realy been too active on the CC forums lately and have been hearing 'bout the NDF-OS Incident, could someone enlighten me? :)/>/>

- Elec
NDFJay #64
Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:21 PM
I'm sorry, i've not realy been too active on the CC forums lately and have been hearing 'bout the NDF-OS Incident, could someone enlighten me? :)/>/>

- Elec

I will enlighten you

My previous project NDF-OS featured things like cloud storage which I was emplimenting and just before I removed that feature due to security holes someone dumped the SQL which had the userdetails hashed in it, and to prove that there were security holes used my account to log into here and mess up my profile/forum topic.

Not sure whats being said about NDF-OS now but last time I checked it was a "What not to do/This could happen to you if…" sort of guidline.

I learnt from that and decided to start again with NDF-UI which has no plans for cloud storage or any other online login, not yet anyway.

Hope you feel enlightened.

~NDFJay