This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
electrodude512's profile picture

[1.53] Inventory Computers (turtles that can't move but can have more peripherals)

Started by electrodude512, 24 April 2013 - 08:51 AM
electrodude512 #1
Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:51 AM
I think it would be nice if you could add a new type of computer, the Inventory Computer. It would be like a turtle but wouldn't be able to move, maybe would have a larger inventory, and you would be able to place peripherals and maybe even turtle upgrades (but not tools) on all sides and not only the left and right. I guess it would look like a computer (i.e. take up full block) but that would make it hard to add turtle upgrades, as the upgrades would then have to go in separate blocks. Piping should be impossible on sides with peripherals/upgrades.

electrodude
Edited on 24 April 2013 - 08:53 AM
Cloudy #2
Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:06 AM
Why? What advantage does it offer? To me it seems to offer nothing - you can do all this with turtles and computers separately.
immibis #3
Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:08 AM
Or as a peripheral with a computer next to it.
electrodude512 #4
Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:29 AM
The problem with it being a peripheral is because then you couldn't put normal turtle upgrades on the peripheral (could you? that would be cool).

Many people have suggested the ability to put turtle upgrades on all sides of a turtle. This would be way too OP, but it might not be if the turtles couldn't move. This would basically be a computer with inventory. My intention is for it to be used as an item processor. I want to be able to give it, say, an Aperture Science Furnace, a crafting table, a MiscPeripherals item id detector, pipes on some sides, all at once.

Also, I have 2 more suggestions that would be nice/necessary for inventory computers to be practical but would be nice improvements by themselves without Inventory Computers. Could you possibly make turtles be able to feed BC pipes? Also, can you fix the crafty turtle so only the top left 3x3 acts as the crafting area? I saw another post on this second idea but neither Cloudy nor Dan200 responded. I especially like this idea on post #6 of that thread of defining which slots to use for crafting when you craft stuff.
Edited on 24 April 2013 - 09:39 AM
Bubba #5
Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:12 PM
The problem with it being a peripheral is because then you couldn't put normal turtle upgrades on the peripheral (could you? that would be cool).

Many people have suggested the ability to put turtle upgrades on all sides of a turtle. This would be way too OP, but it might not be if the turtles couldn't move. This would basically be a computer with inventory. My intention is for it to be used as an item processor. I want to be able to give it, say, an Aperture Science Furnace, a crafting table, a MiscPeripherals item id detector, pipes on some sides, all at once.

Also, I have 2 more suggestions that would be nice/necessary for inventory computers to be practical but would be nice improvements by themselves without Inventory Computers. Could you possibly make turtles be able to feed BC pipes? Also, can you fix the crafty turtle so only the top left 3x3 acts as the crafting area? I saw another post on this second idea but neither Cloudy nor Dan200 responded. I especially like this idea on post #6 of that thread of defining which slots to use for crafting when you craft stuff.
I do like the crafting idea - it would allow you to craft without dropping items out all over the floor and having to put them into a chest. Mobile crafting, in other words.

But I don't see a purpose for the inventory computer or peripheral. Just use a computer to handle logistics and peripheral manipulation - it can use all 6 sides - and if you need to do inventory operations then have a turtle next to the computer.
Jan #6
Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:28 PM
and if you need to do inventory operations then have a turtle next to the computer.
Yes, therefore I think the inventory computer is not needed.
The only problem is: the communication from turtle to computer
- you cant use wired modems
because they wont attach to turtles
- you could use redstone
which is very slow, and unreliable with timing if you have lag.
- you could use wireless modems
but that doesnt make sense for such a short distance, and in survival you would need enderpearls
- you could use a floppydrive inbetween
which is even stanger

So I think it should be possible to attach a modem to a turtle, that would solve computer-turtle problem in my opinion.
SuicidalSTDz #7
Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:02 PM
- you could use wireless modems
but that doesnt make sense for such a short distance, and in survival you would need enderpearls
Why is doing this a problem? Kill an Enderman and get a pearl, not that hard. Using a wireless modem is the best option (IMO) no matter what distance (could be a block apart and I would still use it)

Basically: You can already accomplish the task with resources you are provided, a turtle and wireless modem, use them.
immibis #8
Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:41 PM
Immibis's Peripherals wired modems can be used with turtles.
electrodude512 #9
Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I do like the crafting idea - it would allow you to craft without dropping items out all over the floor and having to put them into a chest. Mobile crafting, in other words.

But I don't see a purpose for the inventory computer or peripheral. Just use a computer to handle logistics and peripheral manipulation - it can use all 6 sides - and if you need to do inventory operations then have a turtle next to the computer.

I don't mean normal peripherals, I mean all turtle upgrades. You can't put turtle upgrades on a normal computer.
yaaay #10
Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:46 AM
One advantage is this can make a bank system
Left4Cake #11
Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:03 PM
I think a better way to think of this idea is more of a combination of a computer and chest or a peripheral the connects it to an adjacent chest, rather then a turtle that can't move. Dose not make the idea any better, but would put people in the right mind set when trying to think of how this could possibly be useful.
electrodude512 #12
Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:22 PM
I think a better way to think of this idea is more of a combination of a computer and chest or a peripheral the connects it to an adjacent chest, rather then a turtle that can't move. Dose not make the idea any better, but would put people in the right mind set when trying to think of how this could possibly be useful.

Yes, that's what I want. A computer with inventory and that can use turtle upgrades as well as normal peripherals.
Left4Cake #13
Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:56 PM
Yes, that's what I want. A computer with inventory and that can use turtle upgrades as well as normal peripherals.

What would be the point in it being able to use turtle upgrades? It would only be able to destroy the blocks adjacent to it. The inventory thing I can get. (Banking system and such things), but I mean think about it, what if you were a player who had an unlimited tool but couldn't move, that would be what giving a normal computer tools would be, well ok may be the crafting upgrade would be useful but other then that I don't get it.
electrodude512 #14
Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:35 PM
No, not necessarily tools. I mean upgrades from other mods, like Misc Peripherals and ASTU.
Left4Cake #15
Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:29 PM
No, not necessarily tools. I mean upgrades from other mods, like Misc Peripherals and ASTU.

The other mods would have to make that work. Even if the main mod add "non moving turtles".
electrodude512 #16
Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:00 PM
Yeah, but a peripheral can't make a new kind of computer (or can it?).
immibis #17
Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:40 AM
Define "a peripheral"
electrodude512 #18
Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:56 PM
Sorry, I meant a CC addon mod.
immibis #19
Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:05 PM
They can. dan200 doesn't like it.
Left4Cake #20
Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:48 AM
Wouldn't it have to have its own code base since Computer Craft is closed source. Actually that would be some what interesting if their were two different but compatible computer mods (as in they could send data to each other through rednet and such) for Minecraft. :-P I cant image their being anyone willing to that much work into it but still fun thought right.
electrodude512 #21
Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

You mean I can make a mod that makes a new kind of computer? I has mod idea… can't wait until school's over…
AfterLifeLochie #22
Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

You mean I can make a mod that makes a new kind of computer? I has mod idea… can't wait until school's over…
While it's technically possible to create new computer types, it's not permitted - as you're only supposed to be dealing with classes in the open API (dan200.computer.api and dan200.turtle.api). The classes and code required to create new computers are in a non-public, non-API package - and you should not be accessing them.

Anything implementing, extending or accessing (including reflection) classes outside of the API (dan200.computer.api and dan200.turtle.api) is not okay.
electrodude512 #23
Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:16 PM
OK, that's what I thought. I looked in the javadoc for the api and didn't see anything obvious that would let me do this. What are the chances of dan200 adding this capability?
Cloudy #24
Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:39 AM
None. Closing thread.