This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Smiley43210's profile picture

Move Monitor/Computer Text Down 1 Pixel

Started by Smiley43210, 01 May 2013 - 06:08 PM
Smiley43210 #1
Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:08 PM
In monitors and computers, the text seems to be aligned to the top of the row, that is, the top of the text is printed at the very top of the row. Example:

I think the text should be moved down 1 pixel so that it's centered in each line. That will also remove the weird abnormalities with text at the very top and bottom of the screen, like this.

As a side effect, theres extra space at the very bottom and less space at the very top.

Also, if the text is moved down, only the bottoms of letters with extensions (like j, g, p, q) will touch the bottom of the row.
Sammich Lord #2
Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:31 PM
What is bad about it being on the top? There would still be a space if it was moved to the bottom.
Shnupbups #3
Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:20 PM
What is bad about it being on the top? There would still be a space if it was moved to the bottom.
If it was moved down a pixel, there would be a 1 pixel space on the top and bottom. I agree, it should be moved down a pixel.
Smiley43210 #4
Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

-snip-
Also, if the text is moved down, only the bottoms of letters with extensions (like j, g, p, q) will touch the bottom of the row.
That ^
Espen #5
Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:21 AM
Here's a visual comparison (reposted from old thread from before the "purge"):

Original:

Moved down:

Notice the more even gap between the first line and the top, as well as the last line and the bottom.
Also, the pipe character | seems to be vertically centered now.

As I've said in the old thread though, I personally don't care much, just wanted to display the difference.
A picture says more than bla bla bla and all that. ^_^/>
Smiley43210 #6
Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:37 AM
Thanks for doing that Espen. Pictures are worth a thousand words (plus or minus a few :P/>).
Sammich Lord #7
Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:47 AM
I don't care whether it gets changed or not. But the picture Espen posted looks a little nicer than the one before. Either way I am fine.
nutcase84 #8
Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:06 PM
This would be cool. +1
theoriginalbit #9
Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:14 PM
I do think it does make the GUIs look better, and its not a difficult addition, I like this idea… although if it doesn't get added it wont be the end of the world.
Kingdaro #10
Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:16 PM
Methinks one could take the font image used in CC and just move the entire thing down a pixel, but I'm not a Java programmer so I'm not sure if it's that easy. :lol:/>
Smiley43210 #11
Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:42 PM
I'm not quite sure about it, but is the font used by CC the same font used by MC? Or is it saved separately in the mod zip? I may be wrong because Dan needed to prevent texture packs from messing up the fonts used by CC.
Left4Cake #12
Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:48 PM
Its the same one.
I'm not quite sure about it, but is the font used by CC the same font used by MC? Or is it saved separately in the mod zip? I may be wrong because Dan needed to prevent texture packs from messing up the fonts used by CC.

I thought it uses the one in the Minecraft.jar file. If you look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYVmooRe4n0 one of Casper7526 took advantage of this and download a font file to place inside your Minecraft.jar to add graphics before adv computers.
Espen #13
Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:02 AM
Yes, CC uses the vanilla "/font/default.png" and parses it in order to get the characters we're so familiar with.
So you could manipulate the vanilla font, I suppose. But then it'll be changed for your whole Minecraft game, incl. console, etc.
If only CC's FontRenderer were to be changed though, then the changes would remain local.
Smiley43210 #14
Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:40 AM
Ah, ok. That's one workaround.
databrain #15
Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:47 PM
Support. It's a little annoying.
Lyqyd #16
Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:13 PM
So are five-month bump posts that add literally nothing to the topic at hand. Locked.