This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
27thColt's profile picture

Hopppers,chests,and more?

Started by 27thColt, 01 May 2013 - 11:08 PM
27thColt #1
Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:08 AM
Intro
Okay,Computercraft is an awesome and very useful mod. It uses the player's knowledge and creativity to create something that can be shared all over the world. Like any other mod,computercaft has fans that want MORE. I'm one of them. Let's cut to the chase.
The idea
During lunch I had this idea of having more features in programming but with more in-game features. When i mean in-game features I mean stuff like crafting tables,furnaces,enchanting,etc. A lot of this can be used by turtles, but that just limits quite a few things. In the 1.5 update,Mojang, added hoppers. I had an idea like this:

A hopper is connected to a computer via wired/wireless modem/redstone. The computer has a program something like this:

if hopper == 1 then
  print("Stone is inside the hopper!!")
end
This would make it so if the hopper had 1,which is the data value of stone,it would print "Stone is inside the hopper!!"
Get it?
Now for all of you people saying "Computercraft already has this,you NOOB!!"Well,I never knew that.
more to this idea maybe if you named something a specific name through an anvil and put it in a chest;it could activate something. For any of you know the adventure map,The Code,it used something like that,if you put paper inside the hopper with the correct code,it would open the next level.The only thing is that did not use computercraft.
Outro
There you have it,my idea.If you want to see another idea click the spoiler there.
Spoiler-Oh look, edited! Don't post ridiculously annoying spoiler trees -Cranium
BigSHinyToys #2
Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:57 AM
For one CC doesn't tell the user what a item is this has come up many times and been shot down.there are just too many complications for one condiugerble IDs , custom other mod items and sub types like potions dirt vs grass.

Naming things with a 1800 anvil doesn't sound very computer maybe a CNC laser.

and NO I didn't get trolled as I quoted your post to skip them.
27thColt #3
Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:30 AM
For one CC doesn't tell the user what a item is this has come up many times and been shot down.there are just too many complications for one condiugerble IDs , custom other mod items and sub types like potions dirt vs grass.

Naming things with a 1800 anvil doesn't sound very computer maybe a CNC laser.

and NO I didn't get trolled as I quoted your post to skip them.

hmm….I see what you mean.It could be like a new API??Maybe.I see mean what you mean though.
Jappards #4
Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:17 AM
Computers and turtles are intended to be blind, so i think Cloudy and Dan won`t want that they see the item ID, but i think that it shouldn`t give the item ID, but the amount of items and i think that the hopper will need to be wrapped when computers are able to see the amount of items it has instead. Incase you don`t know how to wrap a peripheral, open the spoiler below:
Spoiler

m=peripheral.wrap(side)--mostly m, but there are a few acceptions
i think it should also be just wrapped like we normally do for convenience.
Spongy141 #5
Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:57 AM
You can always have the turtle compare the items from the hopper to it inventory then send it out again,
Engineer #6
Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:26 PM
You can always use a comparator (or how the hell you spell that), its not for every item, but its an alternative
Engineer #7
Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:30 PM
Dahell mobile, letting me double post D: