This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Noiro's profile picture

Platform Turtle/Mountable Turtle

Started by Noiro, 06 May 2013 - 07:46 AM
Noiro #1
Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:46 AM
Basically, this is not currently supported, but it would be super helpful. I'd like either a mountable turtle or crafting a turtle with a block so you could at least stand on him while he moves up and down without falling through.

This would allow you to have turtle transportation systems where you could program routes to various places and have the turtle take you there. Additionally, I'd also like to include a turtle booster upgrade, which would increase the speed of the turtle to 2x-3x times his normal speed. This of course could have an exponential increase in fuel cost to account for additional speed. Mountable turtles with a seat and turtle elevators would be incredibly useful. Walk into a 1x1 room, hit a button, turtle goes down and sets state to down.

Walk back to elevator, hit button, turtle goes up and sets state to go up. If state == up, go down. If down, go up.

I'd even be ok if carrying passengers required twice the fuel. Using turtles as transportation would be amazing. Think about using this with a remote!
Dlcruz129 #2
Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:11 AM
Denied before, and on the Do Not Suggest list. (Or it was until Lyqyd deleted 75% of it.) :P/>/>
Noiro #3
Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:18 AM
Denied before, and on the Do Not Suggest list. (Or it was until Lyqyd deleted 75% of it.) :P/>/>
What was the reasoning behind the deny? It's certainly not easy to do with CC (or even feasible) or most other mods, and currently, a simple elevator requires an elaborate setup for just about any mod. I just don't see the purpose in at least allowing elevator functionality. Mountable turtles may be considered a little OP, but it would be infinitely useful.
Dlcruz129 #4
Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:21 AM
Denied before, and on the Do Not Suggest list. (Or it was until Lyqyd deleted 75% of it.) :P/>/>/>
What was the reasoning behind the deny? It's certainly not easy to do with CC (or even feasible) or most other mods, and currently, a simple elevator requires an elaborate setup for just about any mod. I just don't see the purpose in at least allowing elevator functionality. Mountable turtles may be considered a little OP, but it would be infinitely useful.

The developers just didn't like the idea, which happens 90% of the time.
Kingdaro #5
Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:48 AM
Dlcruz, please only speak for yourself, not the mods.

Though I would like to be able to be carried by a turtle, I'm not sure it's so easy.
Cranium #6
Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:13 PM
Well, it has been suggested before, and denied. Main reason is that it doesn't fit with the game, or the spirit of the mod. I think Cloudy's response to mountable turtles was "There are ridable pigs. Use those" (or something to that effect). I think I can add to that, saying that horses will soon be implemented, as an official release. So why would we need turtles to be ridden anyway?
In regards to the "Super Turtle" idea, it was planned for a short time, and was even released in a beta, but was removed before the official release.
Lyqyd #7
Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:41 PM
Same thing with turtles that can push you, I believe.
Xfel #8
Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:45 PM
But it would be nice if the durtle could carry you upwards. That's something you can't do yet in vanilla
PixelToast #9
Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:52 PM
hmm, wich direction are pistons placed by turtles, if they are placed away from the turtle then it sould be easy to make an elivator
would be a bit slow though, maby around 0.5 secs going up and a bit more to go up
or just get dan / cloudy to fix the turtle collision
EDIT:
:D/> xfel, your back :3
Noiro #10
Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:00 PM
Well, it has been suggested before, and denied. Main reason is that it doesn't fit with the game, or the spirit of the mod. I think Cloudy's response to mountable turtles was "There are ridable pigs. Use those" (or something to that effect). I think I can add to that, saying that horses will soon be implemented, as an official release. So why would we need turtles to be ridden anyway?
In regards to the "Super Turtle" idea, it was planned for a short time, and was even released in a beta, but was removed before the official release.
That makes sense. While I'd argue that neither hoses nor pigs can fly, I suppose a flying mount could be slightly outside of the scope of the mod. Vertical propulsion is still up for grabs though. It just seems like such a useful feature and given no other mod offers a feasible alternative, I would humbly request the feature given how easy CC would make the process.
Kingdaro #11
Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:22 AM
Having a rideable turtle (forwards through the air or vertically) to me doesn't seem like something to implement because it would be cool, but because it would make logical sense. When I think of standing on a moving object, I would think that I would move with the object instead of sliding off of it or falling through it.

That aspect of the mod just seemed really weird to me.
Sebra #12
Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:15 AM
Having a rideable turtle (forwards through the air or vertically) to me doesn't seem like something to implement because it would be cool, but because it would make logical sense. When I think of standing on a moving object, I would think that I would move with the object instead of sliding off of it or falling through it.

That aspect of the mod just seemed really weird to me.
Agree totally. That would be great if implemented. Quite better than "saddled Turtle" or "Turtle moving a bunch of blocks around".
aaa #13
Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:49 PM
If you want to go to the far lands and continue your journey when afk, pigs and horses will be quite limited…
Cranium #14
Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:50 PM
Don't bring up dead topics.