This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Vorg's profile picture

Larger advanced turtles

Started by Vorg, 06 May 2013 - 04:02 PM
Vorg #1
Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:02 PM
A lot of the modules are most useful when combined with more then what fits on a standard turtle.

So what about a large turtle? 2x2 1 high turtle that requires an advanced computer and has slots where some of the modules can be placed, like the wireless module or chunk loader or compass.

When used for mining it would require 2 digs to clear the path in front or 4 to move up/down but could hold up to 2 tools to dig 2 at once or do two different things. It might require a bit more fuel per move as well. Some modules like cargo expanders would take up extra slot space and armor would reduce cargo space.
electrodude512 #2
Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:03 PM
I just suggested something similar that's less overpowered. I think your suggestion would be too OP and literally too cumbersome.
Cranium #3
Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:57 PM
This sounds a lot like a Tunnel Bore from Railcraft….
I HIGHLY doubt this would ever make it into the mod.
Vorg #4
Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:16 PM
Seen the tunnel bore, that is all it does. I'm talking about a larger version of the turtle that can make use of more of the mods. Many of the mods mad are not very useful because they can't be paired with mods that would make them useful. Example, wireless module is useful for most setups, and any turtle that moves very far such as mining turtles, would make use of the chunk loader. But if you can't also mount a tool, then you need other turtles follow them around to provide the chunk loading. The armor module is not that useful because again, if you need a chunk loader and want wireless coms for it, no room for a tool for the turtle to do anything but follow other turtles. Expanded cargo space or resupply module again preclude use of chunk loader and/or wireless modules to make room for a tool.

Even in a swarm setup, a large turtle to hold extra modules to support the smaller ones could be useful.
It would require the advanced computer to build maybe even require a disk drive a monitor as part of the construction.

Also, the tunnel bore is much larger and confined to horizontal movement over solid ground. I don't think it can even turn can it? It is just for making long rail paths below or above ground.
Lyqyd #5
Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:58 PM
Peripheral loadout for turtles is a balance choice you must make. The two-peripheral limit is an excellent one.
Awesomesause200 #6
Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:43 AM
A good idea would be that an advanced turtle would be just like computers to advanced computers
The only diffrence would be color,and another diffrence could be that there is a program that lets you mouse click the turtle to move