This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
asie's profile picture

uniccs [UNFINISHED]

Started by asie, 11 May 2013 - 04:22 AM
asie #1
Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:22 AM
In November 2012, I was working on an operating system more or less inspired by UNIX. It had multitasking, streams, pipes and a more-or-less working core.

Now that it's been on hiatus ever since, I decided to GitHub it: https://github.com/asiekierka/uniccs

The main issues are the slowness, the fact file permissions only really exist in /bin/ls and the hacky quality of code (it was more of a Proof of Concept than anything) - perhaps I'll get myself to do a cleanup soon.

EDIT: Naturally, you're welcome to add issues and pull requests.

EDIT2: If enough people care, I might get back to this - I haven't really measured how many people would like to see this finished. With the giant amount of OSes and "OSes" for ComputerCraft, though (like PearOS, which is fantastic IMO), this might not be the case.

EDIT3: A quick explanation - this is NOT compatible with existing ComputerCraft software. Compatibility was considered as an external library but the project died before anything happened. Also, it's not really useful, besides having a basic filesystem management application suite and app-executing-only shell in /bin. I can't really get this much further alone due to the sheer amount of work involved.

H4X0RZ #2
Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:45 AM
I like it! :)/>
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #3
Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:00 AM
I like the idea. It would still be nice to make a installer that you ca get from paste bin
superaxander #4
Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:54 AM
I like it I am working on something similar to this
asie #5
Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:44 AM
Added a license, if any of you wanted to use the code.