This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Nina's profile picture

Turtle; The "Roguelike"

Started by Nina, 14 May 2013 - 11:54 AM
Nina #1
Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:54 PM
So I got this idea yesterday for some reason and decided I wanted to try and actually make it happen. I know this probably has been done many times before, but here's my take on it.

Turtle: The "Roguelike"

This program lets you control and "play as" a turtle kinda like if it was a roguelike game.
The programs must be run on a wireless mining turtle and an avanced computer with a modem attached to the top.

The controls are somewhat like the controls in Rogue.
  • a: Mine a block (The 'a' key uses an item such as a pickaxe in NetHack, that is why I chose it)
  • p: Place a block
  • s: Quick search
  • S: Identifying search – Identifies the blocks around you and colors them.
  • hjkl: Move around (left, down, up and right respectively)
  • q: Quit
Current issues:
  • The item selection sucks: It doesn't know which of the turtle's slots actually contains items and there's no way to view more detailed information.
  • You have no way to know which blocks are which color if you don't look at the code.
  • Mobs in the way of the turtle make it unable to move, but you can't see them.
  • Probably a bunch of other things I didn't think about…
Screenshots:
SpoilerThe client:

The server:

DownloadChangelog:
  • 1.0-supersneakyquickupdatethatnobodywillhopefullynotice: Made the turtle open the needed modem channel.
TheVarmari #2
Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:56 PM
Very nice. I can see this being used to defuse bombs. (Guude!)
SadKingBilly #3
Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:42 PM
Great work! Now that the turtle opens the modem, it works great! ;)/> I hope you continue working on it. Moving up and down (instead of just backward and forward) would be cool.
Nina #4
Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna add that at some point, shouldn't be all too terribly difficult.
electrodude512 #5
Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:36 PM
That's cool! If you make it 3d, you should do it similarly to how Dwarf Fortress does it in its adventure mode and its object testing arena. If you don't I will Eventually™ with my own version.
Left4Cake #6
Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:19 PM
  • You have no way to know which blocks are which color if you don't look at the code.

Can't you just edit your post in include this information.