This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Tjakka5's profile picture

Turtle Block Ray

Started by Tjakka5, 16 May 2013 - 12:03 PM
Tjakka5 #1
Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:03 PM
Hey Guys,
I have -Another- suggestion, this time for turtles.
Basically, this MIGHT be a little bit OP, so I tried to give it a bit of a expensive recipe…

But anyways..

This topic is for the peripheral for the turtle names 'Block Ray', and there are 2 kinds, the first one being crafted like this:

There is also a advanced one, which I will get indept with later, but that one is crafted like so:

Now, what the Block Ray can do…
Basically, it allows the turtle to see blocks far away-ish, and store the data in a table.
Here is a basic program that should explain how it would work:

local blocks = {} --Defines the variable 'blocks' as a table, VERY important!
m = peripheral.wrap("side")
blocks = m.getTransparancy("radius") --Max radius for the basic is 3, for the advanced 8

for i = 1, 9 do --If the radius was 1...
  term.write("" ..blocks[i])
  if (i == 3) or (i == 6) then
	print("")
  end
end

The getTransparancy is for both basic as advanced, and will basically return if the blocks are solid, or transparent, it should look like this:

–In world:

–What the turtle outputs (S = solid, T = transparant)

Now, here is a command that only is accesable using the advanced block ray, and might be a little bit OP.
This command will return the ID of the blocks, and so, again might be OP.
The code would be like above, only with m.getID("radius")
It would look like this:

–In world:

–What the turtle outputs:

So…
Thats about it…
Please tell me about your opinion.
jesusthekiller #2
Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:12 PM
Nether star? Greg, is it you?
Tjakka5 #3
Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:35 PM
Nether star? Greg, is it you?

Haha, well I tought because it would be quite powerfull to read ID's it should cost something ;)/>
Spongy141 #4
Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:27 PM
With the expensive recipe I like the idea, but this makes turtle able to see, which there meant to be blind… I still like it, but I doubt it would be added though.
Cranium #5
Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:33 PM
You need to read the Suggestions Not to Post topic at the top of the forum,
We will not be implementing ID detection of any sort. Props to you, however, for making a very well thought out, and properly explained addition. I wouldn't mind this being added as a user created peripheral.
Since it's on our list of things we already said we won't add, I'm just going to lock this topic.