This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
grappigegovert's profile picture

Command blocks don't work via wired networks

Started by grappigegovert, 20 May 2013 - 02:12 PM
grappigegovert #1
Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:12 PM
When I connect a command block to a computer via a wired modem and peripheral.wrap("command_0"),
none of the commands seem to work.
EDIT:
I first got this error on (bukkit)SMP, but I retested it on SSP and got (almost) the same results.
Lyqyd #2
Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:49 PM
Split into new topic.

This may be by design. Have you made certain to enable the command block peripheral interface in your config files?
grappigegovert #3
Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:10 AM
Yes.
If I just place a computer next to the command block, it works just fine.
Appleeater #4
Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:19 AM
Have you enabled the wired modem?
Bubba #5
Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:06 AM
Have you enabled the wired modem?

To clarify a bit more on this, you need to right click on the wired modem that is attached to the command block in order for it to work.
However, my guess is that you already knew that considering that you have the "command_0" name for it.
Lyqyd #6
Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:25 PM
If you have, in fact, set it up correctly, then this is either a bug or intended behavior. I'll move this to the Bugs section. It'll get higher visibility there, and a developer will be able to clarify.
AfterLifeLochie #7
Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:21 PM
Have you enabled the Command Block in the ComputerCraft configuration, and do Command Blocks as peripherals work normally (next to a computer)?
MudkipTheEpic #8
Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:26 PM
Have you enabled the Command Block in the ComputerCraft configuration, and do Command Blocks as peripherals work normally (next to a computer)?
Yes.
If I just place a computer next to the command block, it works just fine.

So maybe he just has it set up wrong.
grappigegovert #9
Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:46 PM
Okay, so today I tried this again with a fresh install of minecraft, forge, and computercraft.
And again it doesn't work.
First of all, the command block option in the config file is set to true.
Like I told, if I put a command block right next to a computer, everything works just fine.
But when I connect the command block to a computer via wired networks, it doesn't work.
Both of the modems are turned on, I wrapped the command block via cb=peripheral.wrap("command_0"),
when I type just cb, "table: 168eb62b" shows up, which is normal, but when I use a function like cb.runCommand(), it just does nothing.
It doesn't even return anything.
MudkipTheEpic #10
Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:08 PM
Okay, so today I tried this again with a fresh install of minecraft, forge, and computercraft.
And again it doesn't work.
First of all, the command block option in the config file is set to true.
Like I told, if I put a command block right next to a computer, everything works just fine.
But when I connect the command block to a computer via wired networks, it doesn't work.
Both of the modems are turned on, I wrapped the command block via cb=peripheral.wrap("command_0"),
when I type just cb, "table: 168eb62b" shows up, which is normal, but when I use a function like cb.runCommand(), it just does nothing.
It doesn't even return anything.

So you are saying if you have a command block next to a computer, and call cb.setCommand("say Test") cb.runCommand(), it works although the same thing on a wired network doesn't? Then, and only then, this is a bug. Anything else, it is a user error.
Lyqyd #11
Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:03 AM
Given that setup, with cb wrapped to the peripheral, please show us the output of: for k, v in pairs(cb) do print(k) end
grappigegovert #12
Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:45 PM
Given that setup, with cb wrapped to the peripheral, please show us the output of: for k, v in pairs(cb) do print(k) end
The output was:
getCommand
runCommand
setCommand
Cloudy #13
Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:45 PM
Confirmed. Will look into.