This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
JJRcop's profile picture

A surprising amount of lua pastebins are CC scripts.

Started by JJRcop, 22 May 2013 - 06:52 PM
JJRcop #1
Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:52 PM
I just noticed this now. On the pastebin page that shows recent pastes tagged with the syntax of "Lua", most of what I see are ComputerCraft scripts and file data.

http://pastebin.com/archive/lua

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, essentially the entire page is CC scripts except for a small number of exceptions.
Kingdaro #2
Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:20 PM
CC has built quite a sizeable community around it, and one of the most used methods of code distribution is pastebin. Plus, Lua isn't exactly widely used in other ways, so it makes sense in a way.
Symmetryc #3
Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:35 PM
I'm surprised that those RobotBlox or WoW communities don't have a big share :P/>.
Kingdaro #4
Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:39 PM
I don't think roblox even allows links to other websites besides roblox. Though I've seen some, and I'm not sure if the rules changed or anything since I haven't been on the forums for so long. Back then, I just pasted my code into the forum post and so did everyone else.

I haven't been any closer to WoW than my friends talking about it (nor do I intend to), so I wouldn't know in that aspect. I didn't know WoW used Lua though.
Symmetryc #5
Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:43 PM
I don't think roblox even allows links to other websites besides roblox. Though I've seen some, and I'm not sure if the rules changed or anything since I haven't been on the forums for so long. Back then, I just pasted my code into the forum post and so did everyone else.

I haven't been any closer to WoW than my friends talking about it (nor do I intend to), so I wouldn't know in that aspect. I didn't know WoW used Lua though.
I have never played either of the games, it's just that when I first started Lua and I looked it up, a surprising amount of content came from the wikis of those games and YouTube tutorials for Lua about a third of the time were from RobotBlox users.
Shazz #6
Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:41 PM
Hmm what about Multi Theft Auto?
MTA should have quite a number of scripts on there.
But I guess not.
Tiin57 #7
Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:15 PM
But I guess not.
Thanks for introducing that to me; it's awesome! :D/>
yaaay #8
Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have never played either of the games, it's just that when I first started Lua and I looked it up, a surprising amount of content came from the wikis of those games and YouTube tutorials for Lua about a third of the time were from RobotBlox users.
Speaking of RobotLot I visited robotlots and sold one acc's all robux and ticket.he had 1 ticket left.
Pinkishu #9
Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:52 PM
Well, WoW uses Lua for Interface Addons.
Since these are often multiple lua files (also require .toc files iirc), and there are sites to share those addons (curse, wowinterface, etc), its not that surprising you don't find many lua-wow scripts on pastebin i suppose :P/>
Shazz #10
Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:11 PM
But I guess not.
Thanks for introducing that to me; it's awesome! :D/>

It is awesome however I personally prefer SA:MP (San Andreas Multiplayer) :)/>
D3matt #11
Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:55 PM
Most other games that use Lua use it in a somewhat more behind-the-scenes position, such that it's not the focus of most community members, and there are other means to share them. Roblox has policies against off-site links because it's a children's game, and there's an ingame model database that you can use to distribute your scripts. WoW has about 50 different places to distrubute scripts, and there's usually more to add-ons than just the one script, so pastebin wouldn't be very useful. We're basically the only community that's latched on to pastebin because we're the only ones that need it, by the design of our game and the way the ingame scripting environment is isolated from our computer.
dan200 #12
Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:24 AM
This is an amazing find! So much code!
KaoS #13
Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:34 AM
CC has built quite a sizeable community around it, and one of the most used methods of code distribution is pastebin. Plus, Lua isn't exactly widely used in other ways, so it makes sense in a way.

VLC's plugins are in lua :)/> you can do sooooo much with them. you should take a look at them in vlcdir/lua