This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
MewK's profile picture

Humble Suggestions For Better Guis

Started by MewK, 19 February 2012 - 09:51 PM
MewK #1
Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:51 PM
The following suggestions would help all GUI devs to create much better GUI concepts!
  • The default size of the console should be bigger and changeable with LUA
  • We should be able to use control codes in to color each character differently
  • We should be able to use the special border characters in the font.png
Casper7526 #2
Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:09 PM
The following suggestions would help all GUI devs to create much better GUI concepts!
  • The default size of the console should be bigger and changeable with LUA
  • We should be able to use control codes in to color each character differently
  • We should be able to use the special border characters in the font.png
#1 - I agree the default size should be bigger… changing the screen size while the terminal is on causes some nasty havoc (i've tried)
#2 - we had control codes + color back in 1.0 CC, they were removed as it causes some problems with other functions working as intended, they COULD make an appearance again, but it won't be anytime soon.
#3- If you open the font.txt file inside your minecraft jar, you'll see all the character's minecraft supports, CC supports those characters as well :D/>/>
MewK #3
Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:28 PM
#3- If you open the font.txt file inside your minecraft jar, you'll see all the character's minecraft supports, CC supports those characters as well :D/>/>

Okay, thanks for the info. So minecraft has characters in it's font.png that it doesn't even support o.o Can the additional character support be added by the mod?
Those border characters are just too perfect for shell GUIs xD
Casper7526 #4
Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:47 PM
I'm sure if you modified some base classes you could find a way to enable those special characters, but I don't think you could do it without that…
luza #5
Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:08 AM
Hm… Minecraft supports "Ä","ö","ü" and "ß" (I don't know how you call them in english ;)/>/> ) but cc doesn't.
MewK #6
Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:38 AM
Hm… Minecraft supports "Ä","ö","ü" and "ß" (I don't know how you call them in english ;)/>/> ) but cc doesn't.

That's not true. CC really does support all characters found in the font.txt.
I guess it's an encoding problem on your end. Don't forget to use UTF-8/Unicode!

PS: They are called 'umlaut', as they are called in German as well.
Espen #7
Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:57 AM
CC does support them, but if you try to enter them, you'll not only get the Umlauts, but also some '?' characters and the cursor will shift around.
So you can enter them, but won't be really smooth or reliable, messing up your input.
MewK #8
Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:18 PM
CC does support them, but if you try to enter them, you'll not only get the Umlauts, but also some '?' characters and the cursor will shift around.
So you can enter them, but won't be really smooth or reliable, messing up your input.

You won't get question marks for the characters in the font.txt, I've tested that yesterday.
Those question marks are an indicator that you're using non supported characters or a wrong encoding. (which ends up with non supported characters as well)
Espen #9
Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:28 PM
Hmm, ä ö and ü are supported characters, but when I type them in CC, then I will get e.g. an "ö" when I first hit the key, after that though my Input will become garbled.
So if it does show up first but then becomes garbled, are you sure it's still wrong character encoding?
And if it hypothetically were the case, then how does one change the character encoding for minecraft?
MewK #10
Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:10 PM
Hmm, ä ö and ü are supported characters, but when I type them in CC, then I will get e.g. an "ö" when I first hit the key, after that though my Input will become garbled.
So if it does show up first but then becomes garbled, are you sure it's still wrong character encoding?
And if it hypothetically were the case, then how does one change the character encoding for minecraft?

Interesting questions. I'm at work right now. I'll test it in 4h and post the results.
Casper7526 #11
Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

print  "!"#$%&'()*+,-./"
print "0123456789:;<=>?"
print "@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO"
print "PQRSTUVWXYZ[]^_"
print "'abcdefghijklmno"
print "pqrstuvwxyz{|}~⌂"
print "ÇÃ&frac14;éâäà åçêëèïîìÄÃ"
print "ÉæÇôöÃ&sup2;ûÃ&sup1;ÿÖÌøâ£Ã˜Ã—Æ’"
print "áíÃ&sup3;úñÑâªâºâ¿â®â¬â&frac12;â&frac14;â¡â«â»"

You gotta save as UTF-8 (Notepad ++ is set to this automatically I believe)