This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Zudo's profile picture

Forum Ranks, how many and what are they called?

Started by Zudo, 23 May 2013 - 12:54 AM
Zudo #1
Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:54 AM
By forum ranks I mean:
  1. Clueless
  2. Script Kiddie
  3. Scripter
  4. Code Kiddie (me!)
I am now a Code Kiddie. How many forum ranks are there and what are they called?
Shnupbups #2
Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:11 AM
AFAIK:
  • Clueless
  • Script Kiddie
  • Scripter
  • Code Kiddie
  • Coder
  • Pro Coder
  • Lua Maniac (me!)
  • Lua God
  • Choose Your Own Title
IDK most of them. Also, I can't remember if there was a 'Life, the Universe and Everything' at 42…

EDIT: Pro Coder, not Expert Coder. Also, added Lua God, thanks BSHT!
EDIT 2: Thanks Zudo and Dlcruz for Code Kiddie.
BigSHinyToys #3
Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:15 AM
there is also lua god before 1000 (choose your own)
Zudo #4
Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:22 AM
I swear there is a code kiddie :D/> (EDIT: I am now one)

Well thanks anyway :)/>
Dlcruz129 #5
Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:21 AM
I swear there is a code kiddie :D/>/>

Well thanks anyway :)/>/>

There is.
Bwham #6
Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:44 AM
How do you grow? Is it by being helpful or posting good programs?
BigSHinyToys #7
Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:53 AM
Sadly it is based on how many forum posts you make not your real skill level at 1000 you can choose your own.

That is why a "Clueless" member can post extremely professional code but a 500 + user can post a door lock (ok maybe I'm being a little over dramatic.)
People that help out in the "Ask a Pro" section usually end up with a hight post count.
theoriginalbit #8
Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:54 AM
Titles are 120% useless, and serve no actual purpose on these forums. A title is not at all reflective of a members knowledge in programming or ComputerCraft and thus should not be something one is aspiring for the 'next' one. And to actually answer your question, its based on post count.

EDIT: Damn ninjas :ph34r:/> looking at you BigSHinyToys! :P/>
Edited on 23 May 2013 - 08:55 AM
Zudo #9
Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:09 AM
Yeah, thanks

EDIT: Oooh…. I am a code kiddie! (completely ignoring the last few post)
PixelToast #10
Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:11 AM
why i have no title: because i think it makes me look like im claiming to be something

and because they removed permissions to edit it so now its stuck
Zudo #11
Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:37 PM
why i have no title: because i think it makes me look like im claiming to be something

and because they removed permissions to edit it so now its stuck

I might do that.
Dlcruz129 #12
Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:56 PM
Forum ranks mean nothing. The classic example is nitrogenfingers, who, iirc, has only about 400 posts. I have 3x as much posts, yet he knows 30x more than me.
Cranium #13
Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:49 PM
why i have no title: because i think it makes me look like im claiming to be something and because they removed permissions to edit it so now its stuck
Well, you are well over the requisite 1,000 posts. If you would like to have a title, I have the ability to change it.
In regards to OP, yes, the forum ranks mean absolutely nothing. Previously, we had special titles we could give members who we deemed useful or helpful in the Ask a Pro section, and were given the "Pro" designation. Now, it's not like that. If you get over 1,000, we will consider your request for a title.
AfterLifeLochie #14
Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:12 PM
While I don't exactly understand the functional purpose of the forum ranks system, I can understand the novelty. I was granted `Wiki Oracle` a while back and I haven't come up with anything else overly witty to put there. At 1k posts, I personally don't see any problem setting reasonable titles for members. It was, at one point, used to actively identify 'Pro' users - but this encountered a hitch: what is a 'Pro' user? Can it be globally defined across all staff? Can we agree it's exactly x or y? Ultimately, while I don't see titles as being detrimental or beneficial, it is nice to be able to place something there.

Forum ranks mean nothing. The classic example is nitrogenfingers, who, iirc, has only about 400 posts. I have 3x as much posts, yet he knows 30x more than me.
The number of posts also means nothing - considering I was granted Moderator access with under 150 posts, and Administrator at under 300, the quantity of the posts does not count; it is the quality. Despite the fact I don't often post generally - except for the occasional explosion of posts - the posts I've made have always been constructive as is tangibly possible. And as far as the Wiki is concerned, I was primarily responsible for it's total sorting operation and overhaul in the process of just under two days.

The moral of this story, in short, is that the ranks are more of a novelty item, and should be considered as such. They have no forbearance on your actual rank, contributions, behaviour - and unless you're concerned with a simple ever-changing label - the way you are perceived by others.