This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
deleted's profile picture

[Computer] CommandOS Full Release 1.0.0

Started by deleted, 24 May 2013 - 10:44 PM
deleted #1
Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:44 AM
Finally 1.0.0 Is out!
I haven't been on the topic for a while so i posted this one to get back on its feet so heres a download:
Spoilerpastebin get b3Smn47B CommandOS
So this has a lot of features already to it since i first released it also a hidden feature.
Also i could use a bug tracker and a suggestion thing here. I hope you enjoyed it i spent a lot of work on it.
Be aware there will be more updates for bugs and
patches.
Current Features:
Spoiler•New BG Color
•Custom color text
•13 commands
•New secret command
•Some more!!
Current Bugs:
SpoilerNone
Pictures:
SpoilerPosting soon!!
Thanks for everyone to testing!!
superaxander #2
Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:25 AM
Screenies?
Lyqyd #3
Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:39 AM
Moved to the OS section.
deleted #4
Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:26 AM
Yeah ill realease screenies. Im on my iphone 4 now so i need to get back to that.
Persona #5
Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:31 PM
I <3 it when people post os's with out screen shots yet says they are doing it later.
If you don't have screen shots, then you don't need to post period.
nutcase84 #6
Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:22 PM
More info would be good.

[Snip. -L]
Edited on 05 June 2013 - 02:32 PM
Bubba #7
Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:37 PM
If you don't have screen shots, then you don't need to post period.

That's stupid. Period. A program is not the sum of its "screenies". In fact, screenies are only important to those who can't pop open the code and look at that instead. Are screenshots nice? Sure. Should they be necessary or required? No.

Allow me to rephrase that one for you:
Hey, I see that you're on your phone and all, but I'll just let you know that most people won't download this unless there are screenshots. Just a bit of friendly advice :)/>/>

There, isn't that better?

As I have always been told, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Of course, such a thing is easier said than done, but everyone should at least strive for that goal.

@OP - I apologize for my fellow forum members and their rude behavior. Here's a few pieces of advice:
  • As has been mentioned, the majority of folks won't download a program unless there's screenshots
  • I know it seems nitpicky, but I would also go ahead and actually link the program rather than just pasting plain text into a spoiler. It's a small thing, but it actually does make a difference :)/>/>
  • Remove the "Press any key to continue". It's a bit annoying.
  • Try using tables instead of huge if/elseif statements. Here's how I would do it:
  • 
    local command_list = {
    ["/command1"] = function()
       print("This command does something")
    end;
    ["/command2"] = function()
       print("This does something else")
    end;
    }

while true do
      term.write("Command: ")
      local input = read()
      if command_list[input] then
    	command_list[input]()
      else
    	print("That is not a valid command!")
      end
    end

This will just keep everything a bit cleaner and more versatile.
  • Maybe consider using loadstring in order to execute Lua commands from your prompt. Take a look at loadstring here.
deleted #8
Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:43 AM
Alright ill look into using tables. Thanks man
Persona #9
Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:07 AM
It's fine, maybe I came off rude– that I apologize. But in general, IN MY OPINION, if they are not going to take the time to do simple stuff like screenshots, then why would I take my time to open the code, and see if it is legit. Stupid or not (look who is rude now), it is how I work. Maybe I could have rephrased it:

It's fine, maybe I came off rude– that I apologize.
I'm not a perfect individual.

That's stupid. Period. A program is not the sum of its "screenies". In fact, screenies are only important to those who can't pop open the code and look at that instead. Are screenshots nice? Sure. Should they be necessary or required? No.
And you are correct. I'm not the best with code, which is why I rely on the screenshots itself, along with many other uses, which is why I always get annoyed when the OP feels it isn't necessary.
I want to know what I am installing onto my server, I want to know what I am possibly adding some dangerous malicious code to turtle.

Screenshots IMO reinforce it for people like me who can't read code 100% yet.

Aside from all that shiz, It's a good program. Would like a few changes like that "Press Key to Continue".