This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Kingdaro's profile picture

Color-coded Wired Modem Connections

Started by Kingdaro, 26 May 2013 - 12:58 PM
Kingdaro #1
Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:58 PM
When using wired modems, it might be confusing to tell whether or not a computer is open for wireless communication, or as a peripheral. I suggest that the different types of connections be color-coded: modems with open rednet channels would have their ring colored red like normal, and peripheral connections would have a different color than red, such as blue. If a computer is both opened on rednet and as a peripheral, it would be colored half red and half blue (or perhaps purple, that's easier to see at a glance, and makes sense).

Of course this rule wouldn't be applied to just computers; peripheral connections with monitors, printers or disk drives would also be colored blue.
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #2
Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:36 PM
Sounds like a nice idea! Even if its just a smaller change it would still be nice to have this.
Kingdaro #3
Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:33 PM
Sounds like a nice idea! Even if its just a smaller change it would still be nice to have this.
Yeah, it's not a very big feature at all but would be pretty neat if it were implemented.
xxxredportalxxx #4
Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:00 PM
You guys are right, it's not a very big or impacting feature, but it would more then likely make things a lot easier in the future. ;)/>
superaxander #5
Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:10 AM
I like this!
jesusthekiller #6
Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:20 AM
Seems nice.
UMayBleed #7
Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:43 PM
I would like this as well.
dan200 #8
Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:50 AM
Look carefully at the modem next time. The *outer* ring on the modem turns red when modem channels are open, and the *inner* ring turns red when the peripheral is attached. All you'd need to do is replace these textures with blue/purple rings and you'd already have what you're asking for!
Kingdaro #9
Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:49 AM
Nice, I never noticed that! Still, hopefully having the two rings colored different from one another being a default feature isn't too much to ask for.
theoriginalbit #10
Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:00 AM
I'd prefer coloured cables that do not connect before just some coloured rings on a modem.
jesusthekiller #11
Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:04 AM
I'd prefer coloured cables that do not connect before just some coloured rings on a modem.

Had same idea! :P/>