This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
unobtanium's profile picture

Planetz Under Gravity [Game][0.3.0][Advanced Computer Version Available]

Started by unobtanium, 07 June 2013 - 10:08 AM
unobtanium #1
Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:08 PM
Hello everybody,

a lot of members here are releasing their own game or a remake of an old game in the past.
This game is based on a game, which i made in the past, but never finished. (It may remind you of Sokoban)
Nevertheless, i am going to reprogram this game here in lua for ComputerCraft and Minecraft, because i had a lot of fun with it. So here we go! I am presenting you

Planetz Under Gravity

What is Planetz Under Gravity?
Planetz Under Gravity is a remake of Curling Planetz, a puzzle game created in the year 2010 by myself.
You are in space between black holes and dangerous suns, trying to save all your home planets. How?
Well, that sounds crazy now, but you have to change the gravity for the planets to navigate them to the next wormhole/gate/whatever
The problem is, that your planets have a lot of mass on them. Once they move into a direction, they have to be stopped by an asteroid pile.

History!
I made this game with a program called Gamemaker8 back in 2010, but never finished it how i wanted to.
It had another name ("Curling Planetz") but right now it sounds really lame for me. I am still not very happy with the name, but i will see what i am comming up with. Wanted to gave it a theme so and the space is allways a nice place to play with ;p
I wanted to add a link here to the Curling Planetz, but it seems that i cant find it in the World Wide Web anymore :'(

How to install?

Advanced Computer Version:
pastebin get gGg6gTF0 PUG
or
pastebin get gGg6gTF0 startup

Advanced Monitor Version (still run it on an advanced computer):
pastebin get YeigVfWy PUG
or
pastebin get YeigVfWy startup

What do i need to play this game?
You just need an advanced computer. You have to download the Advanced Computer Version above and run it with the name you gave it.
Keep in mind: Levels for advanced computers are not available for the advanced monitor version!

What do i need to play this game on advanced monitors?
Right now, you need advanced monitors in a four by four pattern (16 monitors, 32 gold ingots).
An advanced computer at the left side of it (if you are standing in front of it).
Download the game and various level from pastebin and start the program.
Because this version uses a slightly higher "resolution" you can make bigger levels:
Computer: 51*19=969
4x4 Monitor: 29*39=1131 16.7% more
Keep in mind: Levels for advanced monitors are not available for the just advanced computer version!

How to play?
Rightclick on play and choose a level.
Right click with your mouse on the following monitors to change gravity:
Spoiler

Blue — Planet
Gray — Asteroid
Light Gray — Incomming Asteroid
Orange — Goal/Wormhole/Gate
Red — Sun/Death
Yellow — Gates let asteroids appear and disappear
Brown — Moon; they are effected by gravity as well, but are not important to complete the level like the planets are

How to create an own level?
Rightclick on editor, choose an existing level or create a new one.
Click on GUI to open up the selector panel. Select from the game blocks and place it on the playfield.
Close the GUI to place blocks in the top left and top right corner.
Save and name your level with a rightclick on SAVE.

Send me your own level!
If you send me your own level i will add it to the list of costum levels.
You find your level in your <minecraftFolder>/saves/<worldName>/computer/<computerNumber>/PUG_<idividualLevelNumber>
Open the file with the wordpad/editor, hit Ctrg+A (select everything) and Ctrg+C (copy).
Open pastebin and Ctrg+V (paste) it. Finish it and send me the link per personal message.

How to download a level?
I created some quick test level here. Select Add in the main menu and paste in the whole link from pastebin or just the 8 code characters and hit Enter.

Advanced Computer Version:
yHquDGbt
uJxvQvxX
0zycJY5y

Advanced Monitor Version:
FVSFYegL
nmxdvRKy
eds9GqzJ
drcTLzdM
ymuw3kq1

Custom Levels!!!

Spoiler— NONE —
Be the first! :D/>

Screenshots!
SpoilerMain menu.
Find the easter egg!!!

Level selector.
(Ignore the 4 in the header! I was debugging…)

Screen with score. Try to beat me. It was level unobtanium4

Editor shows the unobtanium3 level

Why is this still early beta?
Well, i need help! There exist some bugs and i have to shorten code a bit.
I also want to add levelpacks instead of single levels by their own and make a original levelpack build-in.
More blocks might be added in the future as well to keep it even more interesting. Have a lot in mind ;D

Unfortunatly, i need help! If someone want to check some code out and maybe find a possible solution for this:
If a planet runs out of the screen on the top or bottom it gets destroyed perfectly.
If the planet runs out on the left or right the program crashes. I was trying to fix it before posting it, but after a whole hour with no progress i gave up for the moment and posted it. Maybe someone can find it, however i know that it is a messy code and takes a lot of time to get into. :s

Updates!

SpoilerBeta Version 0.3.0 10.06.2013 00:47
- created new version for just the advanced computer
- changed collision for moon and planet on yellow gates
- fixed level selection for over 10 levels
- shortened draw code

Beta Version 0.2.2 09.06.2013 14:57
- added level pastebin import; you can copy the whole link as well as just the eight letters

Beta Version 0.2.1 09.06.2013 13:06
- added delete menu
- added header for individual level selection "Play", "Editor" or "Delete"
- finally added game name and version number at the top of the main menu as header
- change the easter egg in the main menu; now EVERYTHANG is effected!!!

Beta Version 0.2.0 09.06.2013 02:55
- improved esc menu; now shows the paused game in the background
- improved esc menu; added restart button
- added new game block: Moon; similar to the planets, but not important to win the level
- shortened the code and runtime for moons and planets

Beta Version 0.1.2 07.06.2013 22:51
- added esc menu; you dont leave the level when hitting the center.
- improved editor; added exit button and some other minor tweaks
- changed level unobtanium4; pressing up and down wasnt the deal of this level ;D

Beta Version 0.1.1 07.06.2013 21:06
- shortened code for planets to move
- fixed a bug where the level select menu crashed when clicking on a non existing level

Some stuff which i want to add or improve

Spoiler- fix the bug, which cases the game to crash when a planet moves out on the right or left side of the screen.
- gates dont work how i want them to be
- add the ability to test a level in the editor right away
- add levelpacks for better overview and easier costum map making
- add function to delete levels
- add function to simply add levels; pastebin import ingame
- add gates which let suns appear and disappear.

That's it! Thanks for your attention and have fun playing.
unobtanium
Edited on 19 December 2013 - 02:14 AM
billysback #2
Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:18 PM
looks cool, I don't 100% understand what you do but it sounds awesome :P/>
I'll try it out later!
unobtanium #3
Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:07 PM
Yeah i am sorry, dont have much time at the moment. I will add more detail and information later on.
Right now i added which pixels represent what kind of game block. Hope that helps a bit :S
unobtanium #4
Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:05 PM
Fix and added some stuff to the game and to the post above. Information in the updates section.
Still a lot to do, but it is going quiet nice.
TheOddByte #5
Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:29 PM
Even though I haven't tested this it seems quite nice and I will try it out later ;)/>
I'm so glad people have started making games instead of OS:es! :)/>
unobtanium #6
Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:36 PM
Sure :D/> Go ahead i really would like more feedback to this!
svdragster #7
Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:01 PM
Wow this is really epic!
unobtanium #8
Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:15 PM
Finally some feedback <3
Thank you :D/> I am keep going to work on this. ;D
unobtanium #9
Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:56 PM
New updates out! Hope you enjoy :D/>
Messed around a whole night to get it to work.
Some parts are still buggy and look wierd but i will try to fix this at some point soon
unobtanium #10
Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:48 PM
And once again! A milestone :P/>
Added whole new version, but similar. It just runs on a smaller size now for advanced computer monitors. Hopefully that make it less expensive and more enjoyable!
For more changes check out the update section as well!