This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
FanSofaWall's profile picture

Looking For Somebody To Turn My Idea Into A Game In ComputerCraft

Started by FanSofaWall, 08 June 2013 - 07:06 PM
FanSofaWall #1
Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:06 PM
Can anybody make a ComputerCraft Version Of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2?
Kingdaro #2
Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:55 PM
I'm not sure how well that would work out with CC's graphical limitations.

I'm also questioning how the poll has anything to do with your request.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:58 PM
I'm also questioning how the poll has anything to do with your request.
And there are so many missing, like the Unreal Engine for one.
Kingdaro #4
Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:02 PM
And fricken' LÖVE, thanks for that.
ETHANATOR360 #5
Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:08 PM
i wanted to vote for unreal but its not there and roller coster tycoon wouldnt be possible because the resolution is to low
FanSofaWall #6
Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:17 PM
Why Don't We Ask Dan200 To Make ComputerCraft Support Better Graphics!
FanSofaWall #7
Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:39 PM
Just sent Dan200 a PM about making it support better graphics. This poll has nothing to do with This. Just thought that if you could code you might of started out without coding.
theoriginalbit #8
Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:49 PM
Just sent Dan200 a PM about making it support better graphics. This poll has nothing to do with This. Just thought that if you could code you might of started out without coding.
There have been lots of requests for higher graphics in the `Suggestions` forum, and they are always rejected. We will never get higher graphics or square pixels.
nitrogenfingers #9
Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:07 AM
As optimistic as I want to be, and as much as I've put this point forward to both dan200 and cloudy over the year, I have to go with TOBIT on this one. It'd be nice, but it doesn't look likely.

Having said that, I do actually see Roller-coaster Tycoon being possible (if not especially feasible) in Computercraft. Graphic output display would go to monitors, with a simplified visualization from a top-down perspective done on an advanced computer, where players could place the roller coasters and other park features.

I quickly tested monitor resolution at a 0.5 scale and though I'm not an artist I think you probably could at a very zoomed in scale produce a clean representation of roller coasters and park attendees. But it would be an extremely challenging job- graphically making a good representation could take a very long time and to preserve the semi-isometric perspective of that series would mean very clever sprite layering done in an optimal manner. It'd be a highly technical task.

You'll want to be an excellent artist and senior programmer in CC to give this one a try.
Xenthera #10
Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:06 AM
There have been lots of requests for higher graphics in the `Suggestions` forum, and they are always rejected. We will never get higher graphics or square pixels.

Well it doesn't have to be part of vanilla computercraft. If someone could code an advanced, advanced monitor peripheral, like the CCLights peripheral, except one that updates constantly… Just a higher detail, and more diverse version of a regular advanced monitor. It would be awesome to see RCT in CC.
FanSofaWall #11
Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:13 AM
Well I cannot code in java so that will not happen. :(/> Nitrogenfingers, RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 uses an isometric view that is not perfectly isometric, Oh also in RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 you build the roller coasters yourself! Which is very cool.
figgycity50 #12
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:08 AM
You may be able to do this in 2D which means 2D coasters. Also you may have to increase screen size (in CC's config.( I checked))
FanSofaWall #13
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:15 AM
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 IS 2D! Anyways how about CCLights2?
theoriginalbit #14
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:36 AM
CCLights2 (from what I've heard) can be very slow.
Also I feel that I do need to ask, are you aware of how much time and effort goes into RCT2?!
It would be crazy hard and annoying to replicate due to all those game rules and the entire gameplay engines behind all the Tycoons, let alone the RCT series which would also need a physics engine. It would be no small task. I would dare say that it would take longer to dev than the real version even with a team of (as nitro put it) senior programmers and people good at graphics. It would take longer because the team would have to replicate, which takes longer than creation, as first you have to perform an analysis of what the game does, how it does it, why it does it, and then having to mimic that perfectly, or else gameplay is effected and/or not the same.
No offense to anyone on the forums, but there are only a few select people with the capabilities to be able to do, commit, and code this project, most people are just too inexperienced or wouldn't be able to commit.
Tjakka5 #15
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:37 AM
If it's 2D, I might give it a shot…

If I can make it happen, it will have bad graphics, won't be anywhere near RCT2, and have bad graphics…

Edit:
To be clear…
The 'game' will be 2D, and practically the only thing you could do is place slopes at different angles, together with chains to pull the carts up… That would be about it.
FanSofaWall #16
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:46 AM
I want it to be a perfect replica of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2! :P/> No, it would not take longer to remake it because RCT2 was made by only three people!
Tjakka5 #17
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:46 AM
I want it to be a perfect replica of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2! :P/>

…No…

Also…
SpoilerIf it needs to be exactly the same, what is the point then? You could just play regular RCT2…
FanSofaWall #18
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:52 AM
Because I want to have a 2nd but normal life in Minecraft.
FanSofaWall #19
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:58 AM
So that means …yes…
Tjakka5 #20
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:58 AM
Because I want to have a 2nd but normal life in Minecraft.

So, basically, I should copy all the source code and translate it into Lua..?
…No…
FanSofaWall #21
Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:00 PM
I Guess.
theoriginalbit #22
Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:01 PM
No, it would not take longer to remake it because RCT2 was made by only three people!
Clearly you have no idea of programming, let alone games programming… It would take a long time. Also it was made by more than just 3 people, it was made by a whole team at 'Chris Sawyer', and it didn't take them too long with RCT2 because the engine was so similar to RCT1… RCT1 however was made by two teams over a long period of time!
nitrogenfingers #23
Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:49 PM
I want it to be a perfect replica of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2! :P/> No, it would not take longer to remake it because RCT2 was made by only three people!

Right.

Looking at the other posts you've put up today it looks like you're new to computercraft and indeed to programming. No one here on the forum is going to be able to help you with this request. What you're asking is the reproduction of an existing, highly polished and complex game to be made free for your own amusement.

We have our own commitments and our own projects.

I wish good luck to you on this, but this is something you're going to have to do alone. It's unreasonable to expect other people to make your ideas for you.
FanSofaWall #24
Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:50 PM
Right i do not know coding but that is why it said " Looking For Somebody To Turn My Idea Into A Game In ComputerCraft ". Chris Sawyer Did Have A Team Of Three People: Himself, Video Game Artist & Computer Musicain

I only want help I DO NOT want somebody else to do everything because it will have more rides & scenery than the PC version.

Okay, I am going to make it myself.

now, when I install CCLights2 I get a black screen after the mojang screen! :angry:/>/>
Xenthera #25
Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:08 PM
Right i do not know coding but that is why it said " Looking For Somebody To Turn My Idea Into A Game In ComputerCraft ". Chris Sawyer Did Have A Team Of Three People: Himself, Video Game Artist & Computer Musicain

I only want help I DO NOT want somebody else to do everything because it will have more rides & scenery than the PC version.

now, when I install CCLights2 I get a black screen after the mojang screen! :angry:/>/>

If you were to manage actually overcoming the challenge of coding a semi decent rct clone, CCLights2 would probably run about .05 frames per second and it would be unplayable.
Tiin57 #26
Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

That's because, except for my build, CCL2 is not updated for 1.5.2. Pay attention.
FanSofaWall #27
Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:42 PM
I am using minecraft 1.4.7!
Dlcruz129 #28
Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:47 PM
Speaking from experience, group projects never work. Do it by yourself. (RIP CommuteOS)
Wiiplay123 #29
Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:02 PM
I installed Unity because of this post.
Yay!Yay!Yay! Yay!
TheOddByte #30
Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:04 PM
Speaking from experience, group projects never work. Do it by yourself. (RIP CommuteOS)
I know that very well now.. Two of the group projects I've worked on has pretty much died sadly :(/>

@FanSofaWall
Anyway I wish good luck to you and hope that the game turns out well if your going to make it
Lyqyd #31
Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:14 AM
Locked.