This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Left4Cake's profile picture

Why no jpg?

Started by Left4Cake, 09 June 2013 - 09:19 PM
Left4Cake #1
Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:19 PM
I tried posting a .jpg image. (hosted off site using the [img] tag) but the forum told me this image format is not used in this community.[/img]
ShadowedZenith #2
Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:53 PM
If it said that, I can only imagine it's due to the compression applied to jpg images. Overall, .png is a far better format to use. You don't get compression artifacts, and usually the load times are just as good if not better than .jpg images.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:02 PM
I don't actually think it is coming through as a jpg. I've had screenshots not embed into a post with the exact same message yet it was a png, which I know works. My theory was that the web host storing the image may have converted the image, or done something else that prevented the forums from being able to hotlink it.

and usually the load times are just as good if not better than .jpg images.
Especially when they're interlaced…
PixelToast #4
Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:25 PM
you have to make sure the url actually ends with a .jpg .png etc or else it will give you that message
though with some header sorcery you can make a .png a .jpg and vise versa
H4X0RZ #5
Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:31 PM
I don't actually think it is coming through as a jpg. I've had screenshots not embed into a post with the exact same message yet it was a png, which I know works. My theory was that the web host storing the image may have converted the image, or done something else that prevented the forums from being able to hotlink it.

and usually the load times are just as good if not better than .jpg images.
Especially when they're interlaced…
Yes, some hosters don't like hotlinking because it's trafic for them. So they use a .htaccess file to stop hotlinking -_-/>
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:36 PM
Yes, some hosters don't like hotlinking because it's trafic for them. So they use a .htaccess file to stop hotlinking -_-/>
I know why and how they do it, just pointing out that some do it :)/>