This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ElvishJerricco's profile picture

Swapping peripherals from the turtle's inventory.

Started by ElvishJerricco, 19 June 2013 - 09:33 AM
ElvishJerricco #1
Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:33 AM
Perhaps allow a turtle to remove an upgrade from itself and put it in its inventory, then put an upgrade on from inside its inventory? This would be useful I think. I'm also afraid it might be a bit OP so I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Also I'm sure it's probably crossed the mind of Dan or Cloudy. I'm really just posting in case it hasn't and it isn't a bad idea.
Lyqyd #2
Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:39 PM
It's been suggested a few times and has been shot down as counter to the design decisions every time. The intent is for there to be a trade off that the player must make in choosing only two peripherals, so they cannot effectively have a Wireless Mining Crafty turtle, etc.
Jappards #3
Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:02 PM
i think that the swapping should happen by an external peripheral block, so that it is a challenge to do that, on that way, you have to have a modem on one side, so you are only able to swap the other side`s peripheral. there would be 1 side where the peripheral
block swaps the peripherals of the turtle and a computer or turtle won`t be able to "communicate" with that side to make it so an other computer or turtle has to do it.
apemanzilla #4
Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:52 PM
This would be cool, and useful, (especially with Misc Peripherals) but it would make it almost too easy.
ChunLing #5
Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:41 PM
Well, if you do have an external block, a turtle can just carry that around and place/activate it (they are computers themselves, after all), so that's basically no different from letting the turtle do it without a fixed peripheral.

Overall, my take is that turtles are pretty cheap themselves. Just have several turtles with different peripherals work as a team.
Sebra #6
Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:23 AM
Just have several turtles with different peripherals work as a team.
You need left sided modem for this effectively.
ChunLing #7
Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:22 AM
No, there are a variety of ways for turtles to be coordinated without needing full rednet if they're in a swarm.
Sebra #8
Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:07 PM
There are variety of ways around, but direct way is almost always better.
ChunLing #9
Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:48 AM
Well, in this case it dramatically increases the number of turtles you'll need in a team…assuming that you have a lot of different peripherals you want to be able to access in a job, which was kinda the point.

I suppose that whether the cost increase is justified by ease of implementation is a judgment call, it would depend on the particulars of what exactly you were trying to do. I guess at the very least, more turtles means more inventory space, which is always a plus.
aaa #10
Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:24 PM
I think you should at least be able to do it manually.
Tjakka5 #11
Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:18 AM
How about the turtle was able to attach peripherals to itself, but not take them off?
I think it could be handy in some scenarios.
LBPHacker #12
Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:50 AM
How about the turtle was able to attach peripherals to itself, but not take them off?
I think it could be handy in some scenarios.
Use a Crafty Turtle to craft a Melee Turtle.
Apfeldstrudel #13
Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:59 PM
Well… would be possible i suppose.

Mining crafty turtle that conversates with the "Swapping" turtle via redstone
it would break the turtle and craft a new one with the materials dropped.
Cranium #14
Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:45 AM
Why are you bringing back dead topics. This was over a month ago, and nobody has touched it since…

This suggestion has been denied before, as Lyqyd said, because the main point is to make the player choose which peripherals they have to use.