This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
aaa's profile picture

Question about short search terms

Started by aaa, 22 June 2013 - 10:31 AM
aaa #1
Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:31 PM
IDE API OS IS lua ID and many other key words aren't allowed in research for being to small. can someone tell me why?
Lyqyd #2
Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:24 PM
Split into new topic.

The forum software doesn't allow searching such short terms because it can cause too many results (imagine if someone searched for "and"). You can use google to search, by using the site operator. Just put "site:computercraft.info" at the beginning of your search terms.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:01 PM
As Lyqyd stated it is because it returns too many results, but also those searches can and will put a lot of strain on the server, something most servers don't handle very well. Best to just use Google, you can even do it like so computercraft.info:GPS. (Don't know how to Google efficiently? theoriginalbit is here to help)
Dlcruz129 #4
Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:21 AM
Is there no way to create exceptions to the rule?
Lyqyd #5
Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:45 AM
Nope.
AfterLifeLochie #6
Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:49 PM
Is there no way to create exceptions to the rule?
Nope.
It's actually an IP.Board hard-limit on search length. Imagine searching just 'and' or even 'a'; the server performance would drop like a stone.
aaa #7
Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:21 PM
I searched post or posts or topics or computer or turtle, just for the hell of it, and I hardly reached 150 results ; I guess it's also intentional, and for the same reasons, and maybe due to IP board. Anyway, Google works well : when I don't find something by searching here, I find it with Google (and that's often here).