This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ElvishJerricco's profile picture

So this monstrosity works. Any ideas on what to do with it?

Started by ElvishJerricco, 25 June 2013 - 02:58 AM
ElvishJerricco #1
Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

I was testing out OpenPeripheral (awesome mod, btw), and wondered if putting modems on the peripheral proxy would work as I expected. Totally did. These turtles can talk to each other on the wired network, and can broadcast and receive on the wireless one. The only reason there's proxies facing towards the turtles is so that the turtles can treat each other as peripherals. Other than that all the work is done by the other proxies. I think it's a really cool system, but have no idea what to do with it.

EDIT: Oh I was wrong about receiving on the wireless network. The rednet coroutine does some side checking when receiving a message, so the wireless modem causes a crash when receiving messages, regardless of if you were using rednet.receive() or not. This problem does not occur for the wired network though. I'm assuming that's because I had the proxy on an actual side instead of on the LAN network though.
Dlcruz129 #2
Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:41 AM
Turtle army :D/>
Pharap #3
Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:16 AM
I apologise for bumping, but what are these fabled arrow peripherals?
I've never seen such magicry in block form.
Dlcruz129 #4
Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

Read the topic, he said it's OpenPeripheral.
KaoS #5
Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:00 AM
I was using this a little while ago myself. Had to do a top level coroutine override and didn't even end up testing it because openP broke my wired setup and kept crashing my MC :(/> I have to admit it is a totally amazing system but until the bugs are ironed out I can't use it
Pharap #6
Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Read the topic, he said it's OpenPeripheral.

A link would be nice, I used the site search and all that cropped up was this thread.
KaoS #7
Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:30 PM
Here you go :)/>
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/13063-mc-152-cc-153-openperipheral/
if OP would be so kind as to add it to the main post that would be great too
Pharap #8
Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:20 PM
Here you go :)/>
http://www.computerc...openperipheral/
if OP would be so kind as to add it to the main post that would be great too

Ah thank you :D/>
ElvishJerricco #9
Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:46 AM
I was using this a little while ago myself. Had to do a top level coroutine override and didn't even end up testing it because openP broke my wired setup and kept crashing my MC :(/> I have to admit it is a totally amazing system but until the bugs are ironed out I can't use it

Yea I posted a bug report a while back, but Cloudy said that since it's not intended to be used this way, he won't fix it. But I still think it needs to be fixed because the check rednet does is unnecessary since two lines later it does a getType call to make sure the side passed to the function is a modem. Point being that unnecessary code is bad practice and annoys the back part of my mind that it sits in =P Until then, top level coroutine overrides have worked in my experience. It's actually been fairly useful. I like to run my bases by having a network centered around a central computer, and this way I have sort of a docking station for turtles to receive commands. EDIT: Which admittedly, I could do with wireless modems, but I don't like wireless since other people can listen to your messages.
KaoS #10
Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:23 AM
and a peripheral network is great too. You link all of the monitors in your base to a single computer, you have a public disk drive for storage and sensors etc. It is an amazing system
dan200 #11
Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:02 AM
EDIT: Oh I was wrong about receiving on the wireless network. The rednet coroutine does some side checking when receiving a message, so the wireless modem causes a crash when receiving messages, regardless of if you were using rednet.receive() or not. This problem does not occur for the wired network though. I'm assuming that's because I had the proxy on an actual side instead of on the LAN network though.

Just fixed this for 1.55. Enjoy!
KaoS #12
Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:27 AM
ElvishJerricco: How did you get that wired system to work?? I can get the turtle to be recognised on the network by other computers by pointing a proxy at him but I can't get him to detect the wired modem he is meant to use. It detects that there is a peripheral there but getType returns nil and getMethods returns an empty table :(/>

totally amazing. Thanks man

EDIT : grammar <_</>
Pharap #13
Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:22 AM
totally amazing. Thanks man

Sometimes I think we should just replace all admins with clones of dan, then everything would run this smoothly :D/>
ElvishJerricco #14
Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Thanks dan! You're great =D

ElvishJerricco: How did you get that wired system to work?? I can get the turtle to be recognised on the network by other computers by pointing a proxy at him but I can't get him to detect the wired modem he is meant to use. It detects that there is a peripheral there but getType returns nil and getMethods returns an empty table :(/>

It worked for me. Just make sure you have a proxy pointing away from the turtle, and have a wired modem on the side the proxy points to.
KaoS #15
Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:33 PM
no luck there. oh well :(/>