This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
H4X0RZ's profile picture

minecraft with more RAM?

Started by H4X0RZ, 25 June 2013 - 08:47 AM
H4X0RZ #1
Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:47 AM
Hi folks,
Yea this isn't CC. I know.

My question:
How can I delete the java flag "-Xmx1024M" and add "-Xmx3072M"?
I've tried many ways, but nothing works.
tonkku107 #2
Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:47 AM
Hi folks,

My question:
.bat file with javaw -Xmx3072m -Xms1024m -jar "location\Minecraft.exe"
ShadowedZenith #3
Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:52 AM
If you download the new launcher, it gives you the option to set your own -Xmx parameters. You just click the edit profile button, check the box beside Java Parameters and it'll let you modify it.

Hi folks,

My question:
.bat file with javaw -Xmx3072m -Xms1024m -jar "location\Minecraft.exe"

I'm pretty sure he's talking about in the new launcher since it says:

With the new launcher, you no longer have to manually create a .bat file to set your max mem/min mem.
Cranium #4
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:12 AM
Or, you can use MultiMC to use the built in features to let you edit it AND have multiple instances with backwards compatibility…
ShadowedZenith #5
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:19 AM
Multiple instances with backwards compatibility? You can create multiple profiles with the new launcher and, last I knew, Mojang was intending to release older versions and custom install directories per profile on the new launcher, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean with backwards compatibility… >.>
H4X0RZ #6
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:26 AM
Now I get a error

Error: could not crwate the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
^what the hell is this?^
Tiin57 #7
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:28 AM
What does it look like? Java broke. Get used to it.
You probably didn't have enough RAM.
ShadowedZenith #8
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:30 AM
Now I get a error

Error: could not crwate the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
^what the hell is this?^

Did it give anymore information? Also, how much RAM does your system actually have?
Sashi #9
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:35 AM
What does it look like? Java broke. Get used to it.
You probably didn't have enough RAM.

Its because kids these days no nothing of Memory Budgeting.
H4X0RZ #10
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:38 AM
I don't think I haven't enough RAM.
I have 4 GB DDR3 RAM.
Sashi #11
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:43 AM
I have 4 GB DDR3 RAM.

Yes but your system requires some of that RAM too.
Java won't let itself take too much RAM because it will compromise the system supporting it.

If you're running Windows 7 you'll need atleast 2 Gigs for Windows and all its children processes, not to mention other things like web browsers, irc, instant messengers, etc.
Thats why they suggets Minecraft be run at 1-1.5 Gigs.
ShadowedZenith #12
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:43 AM
I have 4 GB DDR3 RAM.

Try setting it to 2048M. 2GB of RAM should be more than enough for Minecraft.

I have 4 GB DDR3 RAM.

Yes but your system requires some of that RAM too.
Java won't let itself take too much RAM because it will compromise the system supporting it.

I really doubt that only 4GB of RAM is the real cause if he has swap turned on. Unless he's on an old (pre-XP I do believe) version of Windows, the kernel supports virtual memory so, as long as a swap file is present and enabled, it'll drop things to it. I might be wrong, but I don't think Java really cares if it gets thrown into the swap file/can even tell if it gets thrown into the swap file.
H4X0RZ #13
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:52 AM
Yea, I'm using Win7.
OK, I'm trying 2Gb
Sashi #14
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:52 AM
I really doubt that only 4GB of RAM is the real cause if he has swap turned on. Unless he's on an old (pre-XP I do believe) version of Windows, the kernel supports virtual memory so, as long as a swap file is present and enabled, it'll drop things to it. I might be wrong, but I don't think Java really cares if it gets thrown into the swap file/can even tell if it gets thrown into the swap file.

True but anything that runs from swap generally runs slower and if Java dumps MC in to swap in large chunks it will also have to reference it in large chunks. Lets face it, Minecraft is nothing but large everchanging data, swap hates that.
ShadowedZenith #15
Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

True but anything that runs from swap generally runs slower and if Java dumps MC in to swap in large chunks it will also have to reference it in large chunks. Lets face it, Minecraft is nothing but large everchanging data, swap hates that.

Virtual memory tries to dump currently unused information to the swap file first, if I remember right, so chances of Minecraft, which would currently have it's information used, wwould likely get to stay in the RAM. Of course, anything being dumped to swap will cause the system to go slower simply because there's extra read/write usage on the harddrive at that time, taking away harddrive usage from Minecraft/the OS. That's why some people (myself included) have drives dedicated to swap just in case.